Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got Vredestein Quatrac Pro EV all seasons fitted today on my 19” Geminis (https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-tyres/products/1962-QUATRAC-PRO-EV/). Will do some range comparisons shortly, but rim protection is good on these. Bit noisier than the stock Hankook’s, but not hugely.
Did you have trouble sourcing these as they seem to be in short supply?
I nearly bought a set of these second hand on Ebay but was worried about finding someone willing to fit them and not knowing what condition they would be in so passed.

Did you have trouble sourcing these as they seem to be in short supply?
I nearly bought a set of these second hand on Ebay but was worried about finding someone willing to fit them and not knowing what condition they would be in so passed.
Got them as imports from mytyres.co.uk. Took a fair while to arrive, and the price varied day to day while I was deciding which to get. Ultimately paid £246/tyre + fitting at my local SE tyres.

Interestingly the UK Vredestein site doesn’t seem to list them - they’re 255/45/R19 104W XL, so same spec as the OEM Hankooks.

Got them as imports from mytyres.co.uk. Took a fair while to arrive, and the price varied day to day while I was deciding which to get. Ultimately paid £246/tyre + fitting at my local SE tyres.

Interestingly the UK Vredestein site doesn’t seem to list them - they’re 255/45/R19 104W XL, so same spec as the OEM Hankooks.
Thanks for the information. Going by the pictures i've seen they do look to have the best rim protection of the All Season tyres.

Thanks for the information. Going by the pictures i've seen they do look to have the best rim protection of the All Season tyres.
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Reactions: Obie and thewanted
Think rim protection is always going to be an issue with the Tesla wheels given how wide they are, it is 9J wheel I believe? I have fitted a set of 19inch aftermarket wheels with winter tyres that came in 8J width. Same tyre spec so 255/45/19 much less stretch on the tyre.

Think rim protection is always going to be an issue with the Tesla wheels given how wide they are, it is 9J wheel I believe? I have fitted a set of 19inch aftermarket wheels with winter tyres that came in 8J width. Same tyre spec so 255/45/19 much less stretch on the tyre.
You've fitted a 255 to an 8" rim? That's outside the recommended max tyre width you realise?
Why didn't you keep to the OE width of 8.5"?

Do you mean outside the minimum tyre width? The wheels are definitely narrower but the tyres fit fine. Wheel and Tyre package was supplied fully balanced and ready to go on the car by UK Company. Wheels are manufactured in 8J & 8.5J so like you was surprised when they came in 8J.

Thought I would fit wheels myself and see how it looked, all good and no issues with fitment or ride etc.

Do you mean outside the minimum tyre width? The wheels are definitely narrower but the tyres fit fine. Wheel and Tyre package was supplied fully balanced and ready to go on the car by UK Company. Wheels are manufactured in 8J & 8.5J so like you was surprised when they came in 8J.

Thought I would fit wheels myself and see how it looked, all good and no issues with fitment or ride etc.
The maximum tyre width recommended for an 8" wide rim is 245mm. If you have 255s fitted to an 8" rim, it's not going to be a death trap, but it's certainly outside the specification of the car and tyre manufacturer, which means there could be implications as to how the car behaves on the road, how the tyres wear and also in the event of an insurance claim you may not get a pay out.

As with stretched tyres, there are plenty of cars on the road with tyres fitted which are a long way from the recommended size. There's no law against and it's not an MOT failure as long as the tyre is seated properly and in all other respects (such as load/speed rating, tread depth) they are legal, but in general with wheels and tyres if you move too far away from the factory spec. you run the risk of upsetting something, be it handling, alignment, suspension wear, tyre wear, efficiency etc.

What I'm unclear about is why this 'UK company' would have fitted tyres outside the recommended width for that wheel. Tyre fitters in general are becoming more and more difficult about not sticking to car manufacturer's specs. Is it purely about getting the most rim protection?