Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2021 range: ~190 miles on a 90%-charge. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

A little context first:
  • My MYP is brand new
  • I mostly drive it in the city, speeds varying from 15 to 40 with frequent stops
  • I don't play Ayrton Senna with my car, don't floor the accelerator (actually I maybe did it twice since I own it, up to 45mph or something)
  • Driving mode is set to Sport
  • It's summer
Real life range provided by the energy app vary from (mostly) 160 miles to (rarely) 204 miles after a 90% charge (never did a 100%). So that'd mean a 100%-charged range between 176 and 226 miles, which seems extremely low.

Do you think there's a malfunction here? Or is it because of the frequent stops and I should expect a longer range once I hit longer trips on highways? Or something else?

Thanks for your insights!
Jerome.

Reactions: hcdavis3
EVs are usually more efficient in stop/start vs highway due to regen and less air resistance at lower speeds. Are you using your brakes a lot or do you let regen do the slowing for you? Also, what's with getting the P and not flooring it? :p

If you think there's something wrong with your battery, best to just contact service, especially since the car is new. They can remote diagnose it and tell you if something is wrong.

This energy usage pattern is typical of short distance driving. In winter the Model Y is using energy to warm up the battery pack and the passenger cabin only lose all of that heat energy when you park a short while later. The same thing happens in summer, to some degree, when the Model Y uses energy to maintain the temperature of the battery pack, removes heat from the passenger cabin by running the AC. If you were driving for more than 30 minutes/30 miles then you would not notice this as much in your efficiency numbers.

Most Model Y owners set the battery display to percent state of charge (SOC.) The estimated range display does not take into account the ambient temperature or the traffic and road conditions. The %SOC is independent of these factors. The option to change the battery display is under Display Settings.

If you swipe to the right underneath the Model Y graphic on the left side of the Tesla screen you will see the energy usage calculations. Swipe up (multiple times) to move from This Drive to Since Last Charge to Trip A and finally Trip B. Many Tesla owners will rename Trip B to be Lifetime so they remember not to reset this readout. Over time, season to season, the Lifetime Wh/mi will provide a more accurate estimate of your energy usage. You can reset Trip A when taking a longer trip.

EVs are usually more efficient in stop/start vs highway due to regen and less air resistance at lower speeds. Are you using your brakes a lot or do you let regen do the slowing for you? Also, what's with getting the P and not flooring it? :p

If you think there's something wrong with your battery, best to just contact service, especially since the car is new. They can remote diagnose it and tell you if something is wrong.
I'm almost never using the brakes.
About flooring: I certainly want to, but I wanted to evaluate my range for a while first (an I think I was right to do so).

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
If you plan to drive your MYP in NY next winter you will need to change the tires. The OE tires on the MYP are summer performance tires. The rubber compound in the summer tires gets hard, can crack when the temperature drops below 40F in addition to being dangerous when driving in snow conditions. The best option might be to purchase a winter wheel and tire package (19" wheels.) There is more sidewall to the tires on the 19" wheels (the overall tire diameter does not change.) This may help your wheels and tires survive NYC pot holes.

Could you take a picture of your energy screen after ~10 miles of driving? This seems unusual, but its hard to say as the start of trips can really skew things sometimes.

Also, I concur with a service request to have them check the logs. They should be able to diagnose it definitively.

Reactions: Jerome_NYC
Hi All,

A little context first:
  • My MYP is brand new
  • I mostly drive it in the city, speeds varying from 15 to 40 with frequent stops
  • I don't play Ayrton Senna with my car, don't floor the accelerator (actually I maybe did it twice since I own it, up to 45mph or something)
  • Driving mode is set to Sport
  • It's summer
Real life range provided by the energy app vary from (mostly) 160 miles to (rarely) 204 miles after a 90% charge (never did a 100%). So that'd mean a 100%-charged range between 176 and 226 miles, which seems extremely low.

Do you think there's a malfunction here? Or is it because of the frequent stops and I should expect a longer range once I hit longer trips on highways? Or something else?

Thanks for your insights!
Jerome.
Just ignore the energy app “consumption” page. It’s only useful for determining your battery capacity (specifically, the min(capacity, degradation threshold)), and understanding roughly how certain behaviors impact your range. It’s not useful for predicting your range (use the Trip page and the navigation for that!).

What matters is your battery capacity. Take that, multiply by 0.99*0.955 to give you your usable capacity. Your range is determined by taking that value and dividing by your efficiency.

So, for example, say you have a 80.6kWh capacity as determined by the energy screen. (This is the degradation threshold for the MYP 2021.)

That means you have 76kWh usable.

So, again as an example, if you get 320Wh/mi while driving, your range is 238 miles. If you only charge to 90%, it’s 214 miles.

If you want to know if there is something wrong with your car:
1) Switch to miles and take a picture and a picture of the %. (Or use the app slider at a high SoC.)
2) Take the picture of the energy screen in % mode for the well-established energy screen method, at a high SoC.
3) Tell us what is your lifetime Wh/mi. I’d estimate for your data points that you are somewhere around 350Wh/mi. But your data is very difficult to interpret so this could be pretty far off.

The rated miles, in conjunction with the SoC% , are a direct estimate of the state of your vehicle’s battery pack (typically a very good estimate).

But anyway, for road trips where this matters, you should expect about a 200-225-mile range on a full charge. That would imply about 335Wh/mi on the trip meter, probably pretty reasonable for a Model Y Performance at freeway speeds.

You need to get 251Wh/mi on the trip meter to get the rated range, assuming you have a heathy brand-new pack. (80.6kWh*0.99*0.955/251Wh/mi = 304 mi).

To the extent you see fewer than 303 rated miles at 100% SoC, your range will be reduced, for a given consumption.

Last edited:
Could you take a picture of your energy screen after ~10 miles of driving? This seems unusual, but its hard to say as the start of trips can really skew things sometimes.

Also, I concur with a service request to have them check the logs. They should be able to diagnose it definitively.
Sure. I just charged it at 90%. I'll upload a screenshot today. Thanks!

I've also made a service request. It's scheduled for the 29th.

Reactions: jsight
Just ignore the energy app “consumption” page. It’s only useful for determining your battery capacity (specifically, the min(capacity, degradation threshold)), and understanding roughly how certain behaviors impact your range. It’s not useful for predicting your range (use the Trip page and the navigation for that!).

What matters is your battery capacity. Take that, multiply by 0.99*0.955 to give you your usable capacity. Your range is determined by taking that value and dividing by your efficiency.

So, for example, say you have a 80.6kWh capacity as determined by the energy screen. (This is the degradation threshold for the MYP 2021.)

That means you have 76kWh usable.

So, again as an example, if you get 320Wh/mi while driving, your range is 238 miles. If you only charge to 90%, it’s 214 miles.

If you want to know if there is something wrong with your car:
1) Switch to miles and take a picture and a picture of the %. (Or use the app slider at a high SoC.)
2) Take the picture of the energy screen in % mode for the well-established energy screen method, at a high SoC.
3) Tell us what is your lifetime Wh/mi. I’d estimate for your data points that you are somewhere around 350Wh/mi. But your data is very difficult to interpret so this could be pretty far off.

The rated miles, in conjunction with the SoC% , are a direct estimate of the state of your vehicle’s battery pack (typically a very good estimate).

But anyway, for road trips where this matters, you should expect about a 200-225-mile range on a full charge. That would imply about 335Wh/mi on the trip meter, probably pretty reasonable for a Model Y Performance at freeway speeds.

You need to get 251Wh/mi on the trip meter to get the rated range, assuming you have a heathy brand-new pack. (80.6kWh*0.99*0.955/251Wh/mi = 304 mi).

To the extent you see fewer than 303 rated miles at 100% SoC, your range will be reduced, for a given consumption.

Super helpful! I'll check all that when I get in the car today :)

Just got a new M3P and seeing similar numbers. Efficiency is rather poor in real driving situations vs EPA ratings.

Short trips when it's really hot outside (95F or higher) causes the AC to run full blast. By the time the car cools down, you park since it's a short trip. Do that a bunch of times and you will get low range simply since the AC is running full blast every time you drive. Same thing happens when it's cold outside except the car has to heat the cabin AND battery.
If you do a longer trip (20+ miles) you will see the average go down a bit, especially if you drive slower (35-55).

Changing the ultra-high-performance summer tires to a tire that has a lower rolling resistance will also improve your range. The M3P and MYP come with sticky summer tires that significantly reduce range.
Changing the wheels to an aerodynamic wheel will improve range as well. The uberturbines are both heavy and not as efficient as aero wheels. If you're concerned with range...switching to efficient wheels+tires can add 30-40 miles of real range.

Reactions: pt19713
As @jcanoe mentioned, setting the Trip B is helpful. What I found is I was averaging 330’s or so for the first month or two, but my lifetime is now down in the 280s. I’ve had the car for around 4-5 months or so and have 9500 miles. I’m not sure if it’s my driving, getting used to solely using regen or what, but I do tend to hit it hard a few times a day still.

Edit: MYLR - 20’s

Yep that sounds normal with real world driving.

EPA range is not representative of "real world driving".

My SR+ 3 gets around ~130 miles on a 90% charge with my spirited driving. I can get maybe ~40 more miles of range when going on a trip driving a consistent speed like 70 but realistically you'll never see the EPA rated range, unfortunately.

My cars EPA is 240 miles and I've never even gone 200+ miles on a single charge

• Love
Reactions: Deutsch100
Geez, that's not great news. I drive around 150 miles a day and have a MYP coming soon
Huh? Why is that a problem? You got the long range vehicle, which yes, you definitely would need for doing 50K miles a year. 150 miles isn't any kind of problem at all. That's like half of the total range, and it's never that bad. If you had gotten the Model 3 SR, yeah, that might have been a struggle, but you didn't.

What part of the country do you live in? If you get a winter that would give me pause as expect a 30% hit on top of that in the winter. Can you charge at work consistently? Without charging at work that commute would shy me away from it. I would go for a MS instead.
I wouldn't expect the drop to be anywhere near that significant in Atlanta. 150 miles a day should be pretty easy, tbh.

Don't forget there are other things that can drain your battery even when you are not in it. The cabin temp control that will turn on the A/C when it's parked when it gets too hot. Sentry Mode also can drain a lot if it's parked in a location that causes it to trigger very often. Not sure if the numbers you posted are from a full charge and then driving around for a full day, if that's the case then yeah have service check it out.