Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2021 range: ~190 miles on a 90%-charge. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding that acceleration matters a lot. I've started to be more careful about accelerating gently and our lifetime average is already coming down. It was 274 and now it's 270. We took delivery in June and have about 4500 miles on the car. We live in LA in the foothills and so it's a lot of up and down, highway/city driving (and highway speeds of 70-80). Some days I can go 60+ miles and have my day's average be below 250. It seems to really depend on how I drive. High temp is less important than I would have expected. I've not experienced cold weather with the car yet. Battery definitely goes down when I'm using sentry mode a lot. We have the LR with induction wheels.

I too am getting pretty low mileage on my long range model Y. On an 85% charge, I get barely 200 miles before I'm below 10%.

Range: 192 miles from 85% - 8% = 77%
Extrapolating: 192/.77 = 249 miles on a 100% charge

My driving is mostly local and I do not use sentry mode, but 1) I'm using the a/c; and 2) I only charge once a week so its possible there are large daily battery losses. Both of these might bring me down from the 300+ miles which was stated when I bought the car.

When I charge the car, the estimated range is so far off I don't bother checking it anymore. When I first got the car, I would drive modestly so I could see how close I could get to the estimated range. But I was so far off I gave up and don't check the estimated range anymore.

This is probably my biggest disappointment in the long range Y: the range is not that long.

My 2021 MYP is my 5th EV. My first was a 2019 i3S BMW, second was a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE, third EV was a 2020 I-Pace HSE and my 4th EV was a 2020 i3S BMW.

ALL of my EVs, including my new Tesla, the range is SO, SO much lower than all ranges stated, tested and promised. I drive very conservatively and have never "floored" any of my cars (I know, I know!!! lol). But I do use A/C a lot.

My round trip to work is 36 miles. 10 miles are surface streets (under 45 mph) and the rest is freeway driving (55-70mph). No steep inclines, but one kind of rolling foothill. To go 36 miles, my new MYP takes 14% of the battery. That seems excessive, but it was not much better in the BMWs or the Jaguar (although the little i3 with its 42 kWh battery was incredibly frugal).

However they measure the efficiency I only hope they do it the same for all vehicles. Pretty annoying to be that far under what the typical buyer is expecting. But if two are rated at 250 miles they both should be similar in real world range… Wonder if that is the case between manufacturers.

Both of these might bring me down from the 300+ miles which was stated when I bought the car.
Not really what this number means. The test is done with a continuous discharge so at a minimum you should compare what you get for a single continuous discharge (which is what really matters anyway for range - though not for cost). Of course you will not approach the range - while they routinely get 400+ miles in the EPA cycle, it's done at very low speeds, so at freeway speeds it's going to take a real hit due to quadratically increasing motive force to overcome drag.
Wonder if that is the case between manufacturers.

The efficiency is measured the same way but the way it is scaled and used to calculate the rated range declared is not the same. Some manufacturers use a 0.7 scaling factor, while Tesla uses something closer to 0.75 for heat-pump-equipped vehicles (it varies depending on the particular Tesla vehicle and how they do on the 5-cycle test, so there is some rhyme & reason to it).

So that ~7% difference definitely is noticeable!

In addition, there are things like: do the manufacturers keep a buffer or not (Tesla does, others do not and when you get to 0 you basically stop right away, for those vehicles)?

Last edited:
Hi All,

A little context first:
  • My MYP is brand new
  • I mostly drive it in the city, speeds varying from 15 to 40 with frequent stops
  • I don't play Ayrton Senna with my car, don't floor the accelerator (actually I maybe did it twice since I own it, up to 45mph or something)
  • Driving mode is set to Sport
  • It's summer
Real life range provided by the energy app vary from (mostly) 160 miles to (rarely) 204 miles after a 90% charge (never did a 100%). So that'd mean a 100%-charged range between 176 and 226 miles, which seems extremely low.

Do you think there's a malfunction here? Or is it because of the frequent stops and I should expect a longer range once I hit longer trips on highways? Or something else?

Thanks for your insights!
Jerome.
In your trip computer, what does it say your watt hours per mile is? For the total time you’ve owned the car.
Just got the MY. About 750 miles driven so far. I’m averaging 260. Assuming 72 KW total usable battery, that’s about 276 miles of range. If my math is accurate. I drive a mix of highway and local.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I too am getting pretty low mileage on my long range model Y. On an 85% charge, I get barely 200 miles before I'm below 10%.

Range: 192 miles from 85% - 8% = 77%
Extrapolating: 192/.77 = 249 miles on a 100% charge

My driving is mostly local and I do not use sentry mode, but 1) I'm using the a/c; and 2) I only charge once a week so its possible there are large daily battery losses. Both of these might bring me down from the 300+ miles which was stated when I bought the car.

When I charge the car, the estimated range is so far off I don't bother checking it anymore. When I first got the car, I would drive modestly so I could see how close I could get to the estimated range. But I was so far off I gave up and don't check the estimated range anymore.

This is probably my biggest disappointment in the long range Y: the range is not that long.
The car definitely “uses up range” while parked and unplugged, especially when sentry mode is on. If I remember correctly it could be as much as 5% with sentry mode on per day so if charge once a week that would be 35%.

It all comes down to accessory use.. In NYC without AC or Heat, you should get rated range. Heat or AC will kill your range in city traffic..
I average close to rated range with my MYLR while people in my area get 74% efficiency. I don't drive slower but despite being in Florida, I rarely use the AC.
This confirms that I drive the same speed as others and have a 24% higher consumption.. So, AC use, will take about 24+% off your range if about half of your driving is in the city. I have a very high tolerance for heat.. Doesn't bother me.. 24 years in Florida..
Screenshot_20210909-102509_TezLab.jpg

Last edited:
My anecdotal contribution. My round-trip to work is right at 60 miles of 90% 50-75 MPH driving. It's flat terrain, but hot down here in Houston so A/C definitely cranking. When I get back home the MYP says I've used 80 miles. I charge to 80% (240 miles of range) and get back with 160ish miles of range.

The car definitely “uses up range” while parked and unplugged, especially when sentry mode is on.

I don’t use sentry mode.

But I do notice noises (maybe the air conditioner?) coming from the front of the car while it’s just sitting in my driveway. Noises when the car is parked makes no sense, especially since it’s not terribly warm right now. I could see energy being used to cool the batteries when it’s 100 degrees, but it’s been in the low 70’s. Maybe my poor range is due to phantom energy loss when the car is idle and unoccupied.

I don’t use sentry mode.

But I do notice noises (maybe the air conditioner?) coming from the front of the car while it’s just sitting in my driveway. Noises when the car is parked makes no sense, especially since it’s not terribly warm right now. I could see energy being used to cool the batteries down when is 100 degrees, but it’s been in the low 70’s. Maybe my poor range is due to phantom energy loss when the car is idle and unoccupied.
This could have been Cabin Overheat Protection running; Cabin Overheat Protection can operate when the passenger cabin temperature is above ~90F. This is well below the 105F limit for cabin temperature when Cabin Overheat Protection is On.

The Tesla Model Y will also run the HVAC blower fan on a medium speed to ~20 minutes after you park. This helps dry off the HVAC evaporator coil to inhibit growth of mold and mildew in the evaporator.

Just wanted to add something else --- if you're in stop-and-go traffic where you go very slowly or go very little, with the A/C blasting, that'll have a dramatic effect on your overall range too. Just in case the AC is the main consumer of your energy. Look at your energy consumption screen (in-car) and the watt-hour/mile should reflect your consumption. The correct number should be around 300 (I don't have a MYP, just a LR, and normally in city-driving I'm getting ~280 without AC, or maybe ~330 with AC).

Just wanted to add something else --- if you're in stop-and-go traffic where you go very slowly or go very little, with the A/C blasting, that'll have a dramatic effect on your overall range too. Just in case the AC is the main consumer of your energy. Look at your energy consumption screen (in-car) and the watt-hour/mile should reflect your consumption. The correct number should be around 300 (I don't have a MYP, just a LR, and normally in city-driving I'm getting ~280 without AC, or maybe ~330 with AC).
I get like 185 to 240 Wh/mile around town without AC and about 244 Wh/mile at 70 mph highway without AC and like 280 Wh/mile at 80 mph.. My average consumption for 10000 miles is 263 Wh/mile and that includes a 3100 mile road trip, mostly at 80 mph with the AC on.
My last 3800 miles which was around town and my commute to work is like 246 Wh/mile.
I'm in no way a slow driver.. I just take it easy on AC use.. I usually drive 5 to 10 mph above the limit..

20210913_084755.jpg
20210913_084801.jpg
20210913_084812.jpg
20210913_084817.jpg

Last edited:
I get like 185 to 240 Wh/mile around town without AC and about 244 Wh/mile at 70 mph highway without AC and like 280 Wh/mile at 80 mph.. My average consumption for 10000 miles is 263 Wh/mile and that includes a 3100 mile road trip, mostly at 80 mph with the AC on.
My last 3800 miles which was around town and my commute to work is like 246 Wh/mile.
I'm in no way a slow driver.. I just take it easy on AC use.. I usually drive 5 to 10 mph above the limit..

View attachment 708768View attachment 708769View attachment 708770View attachment 708771
Averaging ~200 wh/mile is incredible! 75kwh ÷ 200wh/mile ~= 375 miles of range! You deserve a badge of efficiency or something like that.

It all comes down to accessory use.. In NYC without AC or Heat, you should get rated range. Heat or AC will kill your range in city traffic..
I average close to rated range with my MYLR while people in my area get 74% efficiency. I don't drive slower but despite being in Florida, I rarely use the AC.
This confirms that I drive the same speed as others and have a 24% higher consumption.. So, AC use, will take about 24+% off your range if about half of your driving is in the city. I have a very high tolerance for heat.. Doesn't bother me.. 24 years in Florida..
View attachment 707082
What app is this?

I find my model y performance eats a lot of miles being idle or off for some reason. Probably loses around 10 to 20 miles daily.
I drove 160 total miles and charged the car twice so far. Supercharged it once from 40 percent to 80 percent, and once again from 45 percent to 75 percent. Is this considered normal? I feel likes I should be getting around 200 miles before I have to charge at least...