Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s thoughts on the road tax rise? - one of the reasons Iā€™m buying a new car is that I avoid the new car element that adds a few hundred quid a year to the road tax.
Iā€™ve been looking back to 2017 autumn budget that came into play where all new cars from April 2018 had to pay extra. Budget 2017 diesel car tax price increase - how much extra will it cost? | Express.co.uk

Im really hoping on Thursday the Gov introduce the same thing that kicks in April 2023 for new cars rather than it being immediate.

That way we might only have to pay a nominal amount rather than Ā£400 a year (guesstimate)

Reactions: Zedbox
Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s thoughts on the road tax rise? - one of the reasons Iā€™m buying a new car is that I avoid the new car element that adds a few hundred quid a year to the road tax.
Iā€™ve been looking back to 2017 autumn budget that came into play where all new cars from April 2018 had to pay extra. Budget 2017 diesel car tax price increase - how much extra will it cost? | Express.co.uk

Im really hoping on Thursday the Gov introduce the same thing that kicks in April 2023 for new cars rather than it being immediate.

That way we might only have to pay a nominal amount rather than Ā£400 a year (guesstimate)
My guess will be that at some point we'll be 'paying as we go' - all those nice ANPR camera's everywhere will be able to pick up where we've been, or cars will transmit to a server somewhere how many miles have been done etc etc - Not sure on the cost, I don't think it'll be in the same style as current as an MYP emits the same amount of nothingness than an MYLR. Can't see it coming before 2025 but may be wrong....

Reactions: MrBristow
My guess will be that at some point we'll be 'paying as we go' - all those nice ANPR camera's everywhere will be able to pick up where we've been, or cars will transmit to a server somewhere how many miles have been done etc etc - Not sure on the cost, I don't think it'll be in the same style as current as an MYP emits the same amount of nothingness than an MYLR. Can't see it coming before 2025 but may be wrong....
I agree long term on the ANPR but it would take a huge investment to cover the small towns and back roads. All motorways being essentially a congestion zone like central london will come before that I expect. Ref the budget I hope they look at April 2023 as the cut off.

If this starts from April we may have some of the only MYPs that are road tax free!
And I would expect demand to be very high till then.
Then after April the pre tax rise cars would hold there value very well.
šŸ¤ž

If this starts from April we may have some of the only MYPs that are road tax free!
And I would expect demand to be very high till then.
Then after April the pre tax rise cars would hold there value very well.
šŸ¤ž
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for but I doubt they will be tax free. My guess is that they will make zero emissions Ā£100 per year (initially) those that have a new EV car from April 2023 onwards will pay Ā£100 plus the new car over Ā£40k tax +Ā£355.

I think that is likely to be the best cased scenario for existing and new EV owners with cars over Ā£40k (which would be the majority of EV owners)

They will probably promote it as a great opportunity for petrol and diesel users to make the switch to electric to save more money lol

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for but I doubt they will be tax free. My guess is that they will make zero emissions Ā£100 per year (initially) those that have a new EV car from April 2023 onwards will pay Ā£100 plus the new car over Ā£40k tax +Ā£355.
The norm is to leave existing tax bands alone (other than inflationary increases) and just introduce new ones for new vehicles registered going forward.

Surely they are getting enough tax already from those loaded into electricity pricing? I am running a hybrid just on petrol currently as if costs nearly twice as much per mile for the battery bit versus petrol. Ridiculous that the government wants to convert the UK to electric, but taxes the target energy source instead of the one they want to remove. Who thinks up these policies?

Surely they are getting enough tax already from those loaded into electricity pricing? I am running a hybrid just on petrol currently as if costs nearly twice as much per mile for the battery bit versus petrol. Ridiculous that the government wants to convert the UK to electric, but taxes the target energy source instead of the one they want to remove. Who thinks up these policies?
Desperate times and desperate measures

The government are raking in more money than ever due to the rising price of EVERYTHING.
The country has been poorly managed for decades.
They are just using the old formula of tax everything.
Bunch of šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”.

I wonder if they are cutting the budget for parliamentary catering!
Probably still smarting from having to give up their beluga caviar because of Ukraineā€¦guess that was a big enough cut?

• Funny
I stopped watching and reading the news in April 2021, so I'm not totally clued in, but...
cars will transmit to a server somewhere how many miles have been done
...I seem to recall a cycling mentor telling me "there's no such thing as road tax, so when you get angry motorists telling you to get off the roads that you're not paying for, politely point out to them that they're paying vehicle excise duty, which has nothing to do with financing roads."

If that's true, then it's unlikely that vehicle excise duty is going to be related to metered usage of roads at any point.

EDIT - I decided to overcome my laziness and look it up. Vehicle Excise Duty isn't earmarked for roads, and hasn't been since 1937, apparently!

Wbac have just dropped the price of my xc40 p8 by another Ā£2k
Thatā€™s Ā£6k in 6 weeks around 15% in total.
Just checked and seen a solid Ā£2k drop on my M3SR+ over the past 3 weeks! Both WBAC and Motorway.
Now the confirmed Tesla trade in looks like strong money šŸ’°
Iā€™m guessing the latest economic forecast and impending gloomy budget is having an adverse effect, exacerbating the usual pre Christmas slump.

Just checked and seen a solid Ā£2k drop on my M3SR+ over the past 3 weeks! Both WBAC and Motorway.
Now the confirmed Tesla trade in looks like strong money šŸ’°
Iā€™m guessing the latest economic forecast and impending gloomy budget is having an adverse effect, exacerbating the usual pre Christmas slump.
Motorway is Ā£4k more than WBAC.

Reactions: Lord Farquad