Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP with staggered setup... do you LEFT/RIGHT rotate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I started getting an alert that my rear tire wear was excessive relative to the front tires. I have the Michelin AS4's with about 15k miles on them and I have plenty of tread still on the rears. The manual says to left/right rotate the tires for best wear and to reset the tire setting to make the alert go away. I did the reset so I'm not getting the message any longer, but should I really be rotating them on the same axle? I've never done that with staggered wheels before.

Some tires are directional so you'd have to remount them to swap sides.

Look for arrows on the sidewall to indicate which direction they're intended to rotate. The Michelins on my '18 M3 were directional, as are the snow tires on my '18 M3 and my '22 PY.

Some tires are directional so you'd have to remount them to swap sides.

Look for arrows on the sidewall to indicate which direction they're intended to rotate. The Michelins on my '18 M3 were directional, as are the snow tires on my '18 M3 and my '22 PY.
Yes I understand that. The AS4's are NOT directional so the question I'm asking is is it really necessary to swap Left and Right to get the most out of them?

No as the wheels are directional.
I'll clarify this...

L/R rotation? "NO, IF the TIRES are directional."

Early on (ahem...VERY early on...HAHA!) when radials were first marketed, L/R swapping, which reverses the rotation of the tire, wasn't recommended, because early radial design tires had issues with internal belt separation. I repeat, EARLY RADIALS, we're talking 1970s.

I believe that hasn't been the case for many years, so L/R rotation is no longer a risk, IF the tires are NOT directional.

I have MPP coilovers, probably a 1/2" drop, Michelin A/S 4s tires, now with 12k miles, wearing very evenly on all 4 corners...8/32" tread all around, no excessive wear on the inner edges of the rear tires.

I'll clarify this...

L/R rotation? "NO, IF the TIRES are directional."

Early on (ahem...VERY early on...HAHA!) when radials were first marketed, L/R swapping, which reverses the rotation of the tire, wasn't recommended, because early radial design tires had issues with internal belt separation. I repeat, EARLY RADIALS, we're talking 1970s.

I believe that hasn't been the case for many years, so L/R rotation is no longer a risk, IF the tires are NOT directional.

I have MPP coilovers, probably a 1/2" drop, Michelin A/S 4s tires, now with 12k miles, wearing very evenly on all 4 corners...8/32" tread all around, no excessive wear on the inner edges of the rear tires.
The title says he has a MYP, not LR with Gemini wheels.

Reactions: Pianewman
AFAIK, Tesla doesn't offer directional wheels. Can you provide photos/source?
You are correct Pianewman.
Überturbines are not directional.

20230129_000610.jpg
20221204_152100.jpg