Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ Connected Garage - Opens, but won't close garage doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the 2022.44.25.5 update on my M3 which included the MyQ Connected Garage. I have a MyQ controller with 2 garage doors and have been using the phone app for years with no issues. I setup the MyQ Connected Garage in the car and everything works except, the app will not let me close any doors. It just shows an error stating "Access Unavailable". I contacted MyQ support via phone and they seem to have no clue. Anyone having this issue?

q9niT_Jg_usQQcgcWF_MesCr14WhEn4xK2CwYMAPn6DfuplZloVCx1Ap8ywNxNEeCdhh6qfV9jaE9wo2ySI1y2gWD1yBU-SBFToCsrrUGscuxIFUWqmr8RHrH4h0SMtTIfyhid5dvSz1W2ICIPEfA6XoSO7KRcMUNkHMI4K9QiPkqxBnbmrfENuNYw-FSYIzl88dKUhPrW58NGNdHpyjpZc_EhQW7AjhFjuKOoAdqfc4qGdVVgB9R5XbLFsdIUkGEyVATeCEELcrso-g2KIRqh6C-ugyP079Z7hhcdaa4fHv8eUdaPxIQ6gMFesTW_haiIsyKK8vIReN9s2De_HV48nOapeOO3iiqwvP7ZVJ8cJklFmnbq5w7eXNSLf1hpLIqFQISmihT9kgfrPpNiewGkQmG7OQl2K8F6Kv-Wi-0fq-hk6ApGe3QIOhp5HkKkZvma0MrytkvTPDxTQj7uPdZOQ7Qty4sBUxb-jbpAgDdEkeXXxYAMALBrFXx0KaJRg8zCSbrOHTF5cV35lQjepfq96oFw7kGpEyGB2Oju1oXoRWSPTWyISSy41ZYHK3Sills5Ar_4lXw0sKjhOCZxITIPnwCOMEdPXnQgJe0nF1_gzvChHXiT6IewfBDmausMPJmVTcxZF1jl7uDCxVXXYaKQiYiQgAOi0pKWDFYpGpQcOGrxDG7fnWtfEqCFGtpzdKsR7hUjy5bV9-Zwe8kXVogIVSHjLWHVrJNckD6WvD-6L-qDr4k95JIkgaWIL0od86lZoLe6iwAprGWSSgd8VsRVov1u_-ywDYEDlPbSr5LtlRwcleMGNE1MUXrYWsb51serLDE1fe-cF1JxfbIE1o2BF9WHS9n_uWsFmmvgfXpXuExZZlvHicfaGpuv5li1Nym_IrNmRTzkfswCQg4mLEautwGeW0g0yvUpDZ_5n2pgOdMPCjpRD6k-3LY-r0eBuWBxXwuhfvnKnRQ8r0Reg=w703-h937-no

Well after a runaround between Chamberlain and Tesla support, I finally got a confirmation that the controller I have for my garages MYQ-G0201 is not fully compatible with the Tesla security protocols.

I just bought the latest controller MYQ-G0401-ES and it worked perfectly. Cost me $20 bucks but it was worth it. I love the functionality.

I installed the new G0401-ES, it always opened but would fail to close even when I used the old built MyQ into my openers.
If I pause after pulling out in the driveway it always closes, But if I drive off fast it fails. I think it's because it has trouble switching from my home Wi-Fi signal to the cell connection in the car. Short version: made no différance installing new hub, pausing works every time. I reset location after install.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
Well after a runaround between Chamberlain and Tesla support, I finally got a confirmation that the controller I have for my garages MYQ-G0201 is not fully compatible with the Tesla security protocols.

I just bought the latest controller MYQ-G0401-ES and it worked perfectly. Cost me $20 bucks but it was worth it. I love the functionality.
I saw that the latest myq controller is free with the trial, makes the subscription not so bad since i don't have to spend $30 bucks on the controller.

I have had that problem of late closing the garage door using the MyQ close command in the car. I have no issue with the garage door opening based on location, but have had problems with the garage door closing when I press the close button. I had a 90% success rate closing the garage door using the app since I purchased my house close to a year ago (I bought a new house that came with "smart" devices pre-installed).

I have the MYQ-G0401-ES hub with my 22 MYP with 2022.44.30.10 and its been really hit or miss. The garage door will either not shut or not open about 30% of the time. I still carry the garage door opener in the center console and every time the garage door won't shut or open, when I click on the garage door opener, it opens or closes just fine. I called Chamberlain and the tech person asked "Have you spoken to Tesla about this?" and I said no, it's your damn solution - figure it out! They said someone in their quality department that deals with these issues will call me back in a few days. Between this and dealing with Siri's continued incompetence with my HomePod OG, I'm just about done! ;)

Reactions: ValenciaUSC
I have the MYQ-G0401-ES hub with my 22 MYP with 2022.44.30.10 and its been really hit or miss. The garage door will either not shut or not open about 30% of the time. I still carry the garage door opener in the center console and every time the garage door won't shut or open, when I click on the garage door opener, it opens or closes just fine. I called Chamberlain and the tech person asked "Have you spoken to Tesla about this?" and I said no, it's your damn solution - figure it out! They said someone in their quality department that deals with these issues will call me back in a few days. Between this and dealing with Siri's continued incompetence with my HomePod OG, I'm just about done! ;)
I also noticed if I pause to wait then it typically closes but if I drive away then lately it has not been closing and I had to pull out my phone.. What a pain.

I was fine for me the first few days then it started happening with both of my cars where if it sends the signal when i'm backing out then it would close but if I drive off a bit it would not. Had to close with the app then. Kinda annoying.

I was fine for me the first few days then it started happening with both of my cars where if it sends the signal when i'm backing out then it would close but if I drive off a bit it would not. Had to close with the app then. Kinda annoying.
I called Chamberlain support but they were really no help at all. They asked if I had called Tesla about the issue and when I said no, they didn't seem interested. The rep did say someone from Chamberlain Quality group would call me to get more info but nobody ever called. Curiously enough, since I posted the message above, the MyQ iOS app has had about 3 updates. My garage door went from NOT working correctly about 30% of the time to near 100% now. No software updates to the Tesla during this time. Hmmmm.....

I had a similar problem... it seemed to be during the handoff from wifi to the car's cellular. Telling the car to forget my home's wifi network solved the closing problem.
I have found that to be the case as well. When I set it to forget wifi when I put the car in reverse or drive seems to have made a difference. Plus, there has been some MyQ updates as well lately and that might have fixed the closing issue as well (I have not had an issue opening my garage... it has just been at closing). What was weird was that if I closed the garage while I was either inside or outside of the car, I had no issue. It was when I was driving off and tried to close the garage either through the Tesla screen or my Apple Watch, that is when I was getting the "hit or miss" issue of the garage door closing.

I have found that to be the case as well. When I set it to forget wifi when I put the car in reverse or drive seems to have made a difference. Plus, there has been some MyQ updates as well lately and that might have fixed the closing issue as well (I have not had an issue opening my garage... it has just been at closing). What was weird was that if I closed the garage while I was either inside or outside of the car, I had no issue. It was when I was driving off and tried to close the garage either through the Tesla screen or my Apple Watch, that is when I was getting the "hit or miss" issue of the garage door closing.

I also believe it's the handoff / cut over from WIFI to cellular. Happens on other devices too, like my phone and watch. There's an area where WiFi gets weak but not weak enough to drop. Makes automation, music streaming, and even browsing buggy/laggy across all of my devices and apps. Just so happens I usually stop in this "zone" to close my garage door.

I have a similar issue to ones described in this thread.

MyQ works on arrival about 90% of the time, but on leaving it shows "error" about 70% of the time. The smartphone app can still communicate with the MyQ base station and close the door, but not the car.

I have to say even beyond that, it's a pretty finicky system. Chamberlain's expertise certainly isn't software.

I hope Chamberlain or Tesla does some work on this issue.

Folks having problems with close. Try to close with phone app. For me open worked 100% and close worked once in a while. I contacted chamberlain and they told me issue is with bulbs in garage door opener. I removed the bulbs and it started to work.

Folks having problems with close. Try to close with phone app. For me open worked 100% and close worked once in a while. I contacted chamberlain and they told me issue is with bulbs in garage door opener. I removed the bulbs and it started to work.
I also have this problem, and use LED lightbulbs in my garage door opener. Will give this a shot and will report back.

Reactions: mmcool
I have a Chamberlain garage door opener with built-in Wi-Fi and myQ functionality. I also have strong Wi-Fi in and near my garage. My opener has built-in lighting (no bulbs to mess with). So everything is myQ compatible. Yet the Tesla myQ interface still doesn’t close the garage door reliably. Often there is a long delay before closing. And about half the time the opener flashes and beeps when closing. I’m not planning to renew my subscription.

I have a Chamberlain garage door opener with built-in Wi-Fi and myQ functionality. I also have strong Wi-Fi in and near my garage. My opener has built-in lighting (no bulbs to mess with). So everything is myQ compatible. Yet the Tesla myQ interface still doesn’t close the garage door reliably. Often there is a long delay before closing. And about half the time the opener flashes and beeps when closing. I’m not planning to renew my subscription.
Did I try just using myq app(without tesla)? That would help figure out if it is myq vs tesla app issue. In my case i could repro using myq and that helped to solve the issue