Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ Connected Garage

I shouldn't have to pay for myQ

• Agree, it should be free

• Don't be naive, this is the way

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just subscribed to the 5 year plan this morning. Loved the mYQ trial and much less than paying for homelink! I didn't think I would like it at first, but it works amazingly well with auto-open and auto-close. Even better, when I get my second Tesla (soon! ) I can use the same subscription.

Reactions: mabbas and pdx_m3s
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 7.28.25 PM.png

Just noticed they include the MYQ controller with the trial. Wish I saw that before buying my controller on Amazon. That makes the 1 year plan cheap!

My Model S has the HomeLink system and it's pretty nice. When you approach your garage it opens the door and when you leave it closes it. I assume myQ works the same. The only issue with HomeLink is that sometimes the door wouldn't close. I assume myQ addresses that as it has a door sensor. myQ requires internet in both the car and the house, and that myQ's servers are accessible, so both solutions have issues.

That said, myQ is a no-go for me. It's already a little scary that somebody could remotely hack my car. Adding my home to the list is a non-starter, not to mention paying $46 a year for the privilege. Also, myQ requires a myQ enabled opener or a conversion kit. I tried the conversion kit, but it had a number of issues. One, the door sensor required a battery. Mine only lasted 6 months. I finally got a new battery, but it just stopped working, so I recycled it. Two, because I had HomeLink in all the vehicles I want a local only monitor mode, but myQ required a cloud account.

It's disappointing that HomeLink wasn't an option when I ordered. It would have probably been a $100ish option at build time, but it's now $350 and a service appointment.

Has anyone found a viable alternative?
Yes. Honestly the article I will link does an excellent job, so no point in speaking to that further.

Aside from that I can only say chamberlain passes me off, offers too many limitations, and keeps playing proprietary games. The extend of their money grab and weasel ways are perhaps not always obvious, but read some of the comments in the linked article.

Alternatives to MyQ

Hi All,

I paid minimum for the MyQ system to communicate with my
Overhead (brand) door operator.

It worked OK with the integration to Tesla but it was fairly SLOW.
Then it stopped working because my 30 days were up...
I think I tried to renew when only the 5 and 10 year plans were
available... No thank you...

I reprogrammed the X for Homelink and it works great and fast.

The remaining non-paid use for MyQ is to check whether a door
is open on my phone. The doors also open or close with my phone.
This is a stress reliever...

Good luck,

Shawn

My MyQ “free trial” is still working. Pretty sure it’s been over a month at this point. It’s worked flawlessly.
I think I’m in the same boat. Mine malfunctions about 10% of the time. A WiFi range extender might help. Even at 100% functionality, I feel like it’s an unnecessary luxury to avoid pushing a button. The lag time and the frequency of malfunction means I spend more time waiting for the visual confirmation than the value I get from saving my finger muscles.

Just installed this with my old Craftsman garage opener which is about 12 years old. I checked all the boxes on compatibility chart. I'm trying the $45/year premium subscription. Thought about the $350 from Tesla, I know it's a one time payment but I wonder if it is transferrable from one Tesla to another in case I trade in my car in the future. So, MyQ for me is the better option for me. I'll probably end up getting the 10 yr subscription next year.

I’ve been on the MyQ trial for a week now and it works great. My garage was already set up for it (I could open/close with the app). I disabled auto close but the auto open works flawlessly. My dad has a Model 3 with Homelink, and having driven it several times I find the MyQ experience on my car to be almost identical.

I’ve had a MyQ garage door opener for about 10 years. I’ve always been able to open my garage door with my phone using internet access and it’s always been FREE.

Don’t understand why opening it with my car via internet access is any different? I did pay the $45 fee but like others said it fails 10% of the time.

Would installing a Wireless Access Point in the garage help? Maybe the WAP needs to be on the front porch so my Tesla sees it as I come down the street?