Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2023 Model 3 LR and subscribed to the 5-year plan $179.00, It works great 95% of the time, But sometimes it fails to close after pulling out.
I have noticed if I start the navigation from inside the garage, it will fail to close on exit, I need to do some testing to see if it's consistent.
Has anyone had any issues with this? My Openers have MyQ built in.

Disclaimer: my car is old enough that it has built-in Homelink, so I'm not directly answering the MyQ question.

However, your experience (the working 95% of the time, not the failing 95% of the time) matches mine. It does seem like there are "things" that you do before you leave that appear to cancel the auto-close. Even after 4.5 years I haven't narrowed down what those "things" are because they are pretty rare, but doing things like getting in the car and "starting" it, and then remembering that you forgot something and getting up out of the car and then getting back in seems to be a candidate for one of those "things". Starting navigation in the car sounds like it could be a plausible "thing".

I'm not sure if your UI looks different than mine, but at least now it displays on the button I press to activate Homelink that "Auto-close was cancelled" and I know I have to push it. In the "good ol' days" there was no such button and I would have to actually see if the garage closed and then hit the little icon myself to close it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had this issue with Homelink and couldn't figure out why sometimes it would auto-close and others would not. I thought maybe I wasn't backing out fast enough so I tried different ways of backing out and nothing worked. Then I tried just pulling into my garage another foot or two when parking and it solved the problem as it always auto-closes for me now. It seems to be very proximity sensitive.

This thing is horrible!
I have 2 garages that have to be opened. Most of the time it will close and open 1, sometimes none, and never both.

I have tried on wifi and on LTE, changed the "locations" of the garage, and changed the distance for opening. Half the time hitting the button manual for the garage won't even open or close it. I do wonder if maybe they won't let you do two garages within quick succession of each other as a " security" feature of their API, if their servers are not responsive enough, or if they are just incompetent.

Gonna stick to the manual clip on with buttons. By the time it closes I'm down the street and can't see it. It opens a tad too late so I'm waiting there with the car. Just a better experience with the physical buttons.

I had this issue with Homelink and couldn't figure out why sometimes it would auto-close and others would not. I thought maybe I wasn't backing out fast enough so I tried different ways of backing out and nothing worked. Then I tried just pulling into my garage another foot or two when parking and it solved the problem as it always auto-closes for me now. It seems to be very proximity sensitive.
I think this limitation is from how accurate the GPS signal within the open/closing range at the car's location/garage. So, given this limitation - I can see the from above anecdotes that MyQ auto function works well 95% of the time. I have the same experience, fits the accuracy claimed by GPS.gov.

LINK GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy.
@Tomw8073

Last edited:
I have myQ on my cell phone, if I try to close the door close to my house it’ll fail. My guess here is that the app can’t handle the hand off from Wi-Fi to cell data. Just a guess on my part. If I wait till the Wi-Fi indicator disappears on my phone I have a 100% success.

I have myQ on my cell phone, if I try to close the door close to my house it’ll fail. My guess here is that the app can’t handle the hand off from Wi-Fi to cell data. Just a guess on my part. If I wait till the Wi-Fi indicator disappears on my phone I have a 100% success.
I have the same issue,, When I leave to walk the dogs it will fail every time as I move away from the house until it switches over to cell.

I'm having the same issue. It auto-opens every time, but has only auto-closed once out of maybe 15 attempts. I was really looking forward to this feature (yeah, I know, subscriptions suck but due to some weird interference issues my garage door remote sometimes requires multiple clicks), but I won't be subscribing in its current state. Hopefully they get it working before the trial is up.

Everything was working fine post holiday update, until yesterday. Now I get the consistent "Error" message on the display. Reset didn't help. All is working from the MyQ app and my Apple HomeKit (with Siri commands). I am on 44.25.2, not sure if 25.3 fixes anything related to this issue. I suspect this is a Tesla issue with the connection to my MyQ account?

I'm having the same issue. It opens every time, but auto-closing has only worked once or twice out of probably 10 attempts. Hopefully they get it figured out before the trial ends. I was truly looking forward to this feature (Yeah, I know, subscriptions suck but due to some weird interference my garage door remote usually requires several clicks to work), but I won't subscribe in the state it's in now.

I'm having the same issue. It opens every time, but auto-closing has only worked once or twice out of probably 10 attempts. Hopefully they get it figured out before the trial ends. I was truly looking forward to this feature (Yeah, I know, subscriptions suck but due to some weird interference my garage door remote usually requires several clicks to work), but I won't subscribe in the state it's in now.
After reading all these posts, I will stay with the handheld remote on my MY. The integrated homelink on my MX works flawlessly.

One of the best things Tesla integrated IMO. I've been using the MyQ app on my phone for 1.5yrs now. And it never worked reliably...especially if there are MyQ server/system issues, then your opener isn't talking/connecting to the cloud servers to get the signal to open/close. It happened maybe 1/2 times now in the past 2 weeks. Considering that...it has worked as reliably as my MyQ app on my phone. Without the beeping delay when it closes too...compared to the app.

Reactions: Plaidy