Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ Smart Garage Door opener with EVE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a Model 3 SR+ and I am waiting for delivery, During this painful waiting period, I like most owners am starting to prepare for the Tesla awesomeness. One of the items I need to take care of is my garage door opener. Since the newest M3's do NOT have Homelink anymore, I decided to purchase the Chamberlain MYQ to turn my garage door into a Smart Garage door opener. After setting everything up, to my surprise, the MyQ integrates with the Tesla EVE eco system.

Out of curiosity, has anyone used the MyQ and EVE integration? I've heard that EVE is complete garbage, but I would like to use is for 1 use case,: to open my garage from the Tesla center console. I am also wondering if the free version of EVE would allow me to use MyQ. Any real world experience with this setup is appreciated.

I can't speak to the EVE integration, but just using the MyQ mobile app, waiting for it to connect/wakeup makes it not worth using. I can click the button on my visor and be parked in my garage with the door closed again before MyQ is ready for action.

The Chamberlain opened and the MyQ app as an emergency garage key are really really nice. I recommend them highly, but I'd save yourself the aggravation and just use the garage door remote they provide.

I can't speak to the EVE integration, but just using the MyQ mobile app, waiting for it to connect/wakeup makes it not worth using. I can click the button on my visor and be parked in my garage with the door closed again before MyQ is ready for action.

The Chamberlain opened and the MyQ app as an emergency garage key are really really nice. I recommend them highly, but I'd save yourself the aggravation and just use the garage door remote they provide.

My problem is that I don't have a garage door clicker. I am coming from a car that has Homelink (Mercedes Benz C300). I'm hoping with the EVE integration, it would recognize geofencing and start the process early based on my location to my house. This would alleviate any wait times. Hopefully others in this forum can speak to this?

Sorry OP, I am not familiar with "Tesla EVE" either, but I AM familiar with MyQ. When I purchased my home in 2013, I had the garage door opener replaced with a liftmaster MyQ enabled version, so I have had MyQ functionality since 2013.

I agree 100% with @nexusone , in that, for daily use, using the app would be an exercise in frustration. Using a clicker would be easier, and you can purchase a clicker for a chamberlain / liftmaster opener fairly easily as well (much easier than it would be to try to integrate something third party into a tesla for this.

For when you are in a rental car, or other times not in your own vehicle, the need to wait for the app to open, etc isnt a big deal, and having the convenience is very nice. I guess I am just repeating what @nexusone said, lol.

OP I would recommend either purchasing a liftmaster remote (clicker)... $25 ish dollars on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-O...words=liftmaster+remote&qid=1599836162&sr=8-6) or, just spring for the homelink.

I have homelink in my model 3, they came with it when I got mine in 2018, and it works good. I feel the integration is worth the $300 they are now charging for it, personally, because I didnt want to have a clicker in the car. Every car I have had over the past 15-18 years or so has been homelink enabled, so I get wanting to get it integrated. I would just recommend getting the official solution over trying to jury rig a third party geofence solution.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mercedes fan
I use MyQ - but I have it connected via HomeBridge and iOS HomeKit. I have it set to auto-open/close when I come home or leave. Works fantastically.
I have the exact same setup and it works great but I’m frustrated that you have to pull out your phone or fiddle with your watch to open it: just wish there was some integration on the Tesla screen itself. That being said, the MyQ app itself (in addition to the Home app through Apple), at least for me, has worked flawlessly. It is pretty much instant when I open it to show status of the door itself or to open or close. Also, it is one of the very few Apple Watch apps that works on the cellular version of the watch without the phone being nearby. This means that I can go out and about or on a walk or drive or when I take out the dogs and I can open or close the garage without the iPhone being nearby. I do this on occasion when I go walk the dogs or exercise or other places where I need to be reachable by phone or text but don’t want to have the phone on me.

I have the exact same setup and it works great but I’m frustrated that you have to pull out your phone or fiddle with your watch to open it: just wish there was some integration on the Tesla screen itself.

For me its automatic. I never have to fiddle with anything. Here is what I did:
1. In Homebridge create a "Switch" that comes on when the garage door is opened, and is turned off when the garage door is closed.
2. Create an automation - when I arrive home (I have one for my wife as well), flip the switch on; when I leave, flip the switch off. I also have the switches set to auto-turn off after 45 minutes so if I come home and forget to close the door (like if my hands are full) I know it'll auto- turn off.

I'm sure there is a non-homebridge way to do this as well, but since I have home bridge - that was the easiest thing to do.

I've been using the MyQ app on my Mobile Phone and it opens the door instantly when I arrive at home. There is a slight delay when closing the door when I leave in the mornings, but nothing that I can't live with. Perhaps the newest generation MyQ triggers quicker or maybe I just have a slightly higher tolerance for time? LOL Either way, if it doesn't integrate with EVE, I'll be ok opening up my garage door with the mobile app.

I did however see that Tesla will be supporting WiFi garage door openers soon, so that should solve my 1st world problems:

Tesla will support wifi garage opener soon

I’m awaiting delivery and am struggling to find a clear answer. Do I have to have homelink to open a garage door from the car? I can’t tell if homelink just automates the process that I can do by manually pressing a “button” on the main screen, or if it is needed for any garage door opening process. My garage door is not WiFi capable so it’s either manual clicker button or buy another solution.

I’m awaiting delivery and am struggling to find a clear answer. Do I have to have homelink to open a garage door from the car? I can’t tell if homelink just automates the process that I can do by manually pressing a “button” on the main screen, or if it is needed for any garage door opening process. My garage door is not WiFi capable so it’s either manual clicker button or buy another solution.
The car does not come with a way to open the garage door. If you also purchase the homelink option you will then have a way to push a button on the screen and/or automate the function. You can also use a regular remote, MyQ, etc.

I opted for TailWind. Only shortcoming is that it’s not HomeKit compatible but does support Siri Shortcuts. I might write a Homebridge plugin to support it.
How do you like Tailwind? There’s no added subscription costs, right? Do you have to run wire to the wall button control or just the garage door sensors? Installation seemed like more work so I’ve been hesitant.

How do you like Tailwind? There’s no added subscription costs, right? Do you have to run wire to the wall button control or just the garage door sensors? Installation seemed like more work so I’ve been hesitant.
I opted for the Tailwind also over MyQ and the Homelink addon.
No subscription fees and so far the auto open/close has worked every time.
Wire is only from the garage door sensor, took me maybe 15 mins to install.

I opted for the Tailwind also over MyQ and the Homelink addon.
No subscription fees and so far the auto open/close has worked every time.
Wire is only from the garage door sensor, took me maybe 15 mins to install.
Cool good to know. Does the unit sense open / close status and adjust accordingly? For example, my wife and kids sometimes to art projects in the garage. If the door is already open, will it still trigger the switch causing the door to close potentially on either an object or person? Or would it know it’s already open and not trigger it?

I have a Chamberlain MyQ door. I find the app functionality very helpful, especially for letting people into your garage when you are not home or being able to confirm that nagging question at the back of your mind "did I close the garage door when I left?" via the app.

As for the Model 3, I just attached the regular opener to the bottom rear of the screen with velcro tape. I feel like time wise and ergonomically this is the same as having built in functionality via Homelink or some other automated method. Plus it keeps it visually hidden as I hate having stuff clipped to my sun visor.

Cool good to know. Does the unit sense open / close status and adjust accordingly? For example, my wife and kids sometimes to art projects in the garage. If the door is already open, will it still trigger the switch causing the door to close potentially on either an object or person? Or would it know it’s already open and not trigger it?
I also have Tailwind and yes it includes a magnetic proximity sensor(wired to unit so no battery like other systems) to detect if the door is closed or not. So when using auto open on approach if the door is already detected as open, Tailwind will not send a pulse command to open. Tailwind also uses sensor to determine if auto close on departure is successful. It will make (I believe) 3 attempts to close door and send a notification if unsuccessful.

I went with Tailwind as it one of the few systems that integrates with Smartthings automation system. Previously had Z-Wave garage controller with battery powered door tilt sensor that died 1 month after 1 year warranty.

Reactions: cedcor
I also have Tailwind and yes it includes a magnetic proximity sensor(wired to unit so no battery like other systems) to detect if the door is closed or not. So when using auto open on approach if the door is already detected as open, Tailwind will not send a pulse command to open. Tailwind also uses sensor to determine if auto close on departure is successful. It will make (I believe) 3 attempts to close door and send a notification if unsuccessful.

I went with Tailwind as it one of the few systems that integrates with Smartthings automation system. Previously had Z-Wave garage controller with battery powered door tilt sensor that died 1 month after 1 year warranty.
That’s great. Just ordered mine. That’s the main thing I wanted to be sure it wouldn’t be dangerous for the kids.

For me its automatic. I never have to fiddle with anything. Here is what I did:
1. In Homebridge create a "Switch" that comes on when the garage door is opened, and is turned off when the garage door is closed.
2. Create an automation - when I arrive home (I have one for my wife as well), flip the switch on; when I leave, flip the switch off. I also have the switches set to auto-turn off after 45 minutes so if I come home and forget to close the door (like if my hands are full) I know it'll auto- turn off.

I'm sure there is a non-homebridge way to do this as well, but since I have home bridge - that was the easiest thing to do.
how does your phone determine you are home? GPS geofence? home wifi connection?

looks like its gps based and requires your phone GPS to always be on.. seems like a battery killer?

Last edited: