Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire = Tesla or Discount Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went online to book appointment with Discount Tire. It said "walk-ins welcome". One not far so I decided to drive over on my way home. I needed air anyway and could just book it there. Said they can have it done in about 1 hour. Knew Tesla's and said it's a little more work because of the foam but they had done 100s of them. There was even an X sitting outside either waiting or done. They even used a jack puck and was done in about 50 minutes. So weird not having to pay at all much less "through the nose".

Glad you made the easy choice and took it to Discount for them to do it for free. I'm amazed that you've never had a nail in a tire until now (and so didn't know what to do)... I feel like I have to deal with this at least once a year.

Glad you made the easy choice and took it to Discount for them to do it for free. I'm amazed that you've never had a nail in a tire until now (and so didn't know what to do)... I feel like I have to deal with this at least once a year.
In 30+ years, I never had a tire problem. I then bought my Tesla and had a problem with a screw the first day and then another screw in a second tire a couple weeks later! I was starting to get paranoid but then realized it was probably due to the house at the entrance to my neighborhood that was having some renovations done.

In my first 27 or 28 years of car ownership, I never had a nail in a tire, although I did once blow out a tire by scraping it into a curb. Then I had two nail-in-tire incidents in the space of a few months. The first of those caused a slow leak like what the OP is describing. The second caused more dramatic pressure loss. In any event, these incidents seem to be somewhat rare, but random. As with most random processes, they can "clump" together or go for a long time without cropping up.

With 50 years of driving cars under my belt, I've finally gotten interested in tiers and flats. The simple solution of just plugging it (thus the no-charge repairs as described in this thread) is not the best way to do it.
webicon_green.png
This is the right way. Read and watch the video. I have had my first nail in the rear/driver side tier that unfortunately is lodged in the shoulder side, which will necessitate replacing this (7000 miles) tier.

With 50 years of driving cars under my belt, I've finally gotten interested in tiers and flats. The simple solution of just plugging it (thus the no-charge repairs as described in this thread) is not the best way to do it.
webicon_green.png
This is the right way. Read and watch the video. I have had my first nail in the rear/driver side tier that unfortunately is lodged in the shoulder side, which will necessitate replacing this (7000 miles) tier.

Discount is doing patches on the inside not plugs from outside. They do it as goodwill to get customers used to coming to them. No large reputable tire store is going to be using plugs from outside.

webicon_green.png
I think you're looking for the word "tire".

Come on guys, really? What is this phobia about plugging a tire? Anyway, for the rouge members, I recommend the below Kit. Keep it in the trunk with a pump. I've used it 3 times on the X within a year. Only concern you would have including a patch plug would be how close the damage is to the outside of the tire. That's a judgement call of your own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DIECCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inside this kit, I keep a quality needle nose and pair of pliers.
kit.JPG

Reactions: bedoig
The issue is you are not removing the tire to inspect for hidden damage. Plugging you own tire when you know it wasn't driven on flat is one thing as a tire store I wouldn't trust a customer telling me that they didn't drive on it flat or under inflated. It doesn't take long to cause serious damage to the tire that you can't see from outside.

I never had a plug repair fail in 65 years of driving. I don't see how the foam would not permit a plug repair.

That’s very lucky! I’ve had both experiences.

Anytime a tire place has done one for me it’s failed, and anytime I’ve done my own it has lasted.

They also say on the packages (at least the ones I’ve seen) not for street use. They are a temporary emergency solution to help you get to your destination.

I’ve leaned, if I have to do it, monitor the tire for a while after. Otherwise get a patch at a tire place.

Come on guys, really? What is this phobia about plugging a tire? Anyway, for the rouge members, I recommend the below Kit. Keep it in the trunk with a pump. I've used it 3 times on the X within a year. Only concern you would have including a patch plug would be how close the damage is to the outside of the tire. That's a judgement call of your own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DIECCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inside this kit, I keep a quality needle nose and pair of pliers.
View attachment 455161

My understanding is that doing this type of plug is not recommended on a tire with acoustic foam, because the foam prevents the plug from sealing properly.

My understanding is that doing this type of plug is not recommended on a tire with acoustic foam, because the foam prevents the plug from sealing properly.
I've done it several times on both my X and 3 with no issue. Oldest plug is about 2 years on the X but have done it on other cars that have had the tires much longer, though no foam. As mentioned above, I think the biggest thing is to know when it is safe to do it, i.e. not driven on the deflated tire and not too close to the sidewall, or several times on the same tire. Would be interesting to see someone examine a used foam tire that had previously been plugged. I'd bet it has minimal impact assuming the plug was done correctly but who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: gecko10x