Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on Autopilot not preforming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried to use this feature on several long distance trips and continuously need to turn it off as it keeps trying to put me in the truck lane. I find myself stuck in the right lane going 45 mph with no traffic around in a 70 mph zone. Another problem is this feature also will put me in a far right lane that you can see ahead will be a freeway exit lane. I have disabled the automatic engagement of this feature.

I have tried to use this feature on several long distance trips and continuously need to turn it off as it keeps trying to put me in the truck lane. I find myself stuck in the right lane going 45 mph with no traffic around in a 70 mph zone. Another problem is this feature also will put me in a far right lane that you can see ahead will be a freeway exit lane. I have disabled the automatic engagement of this feature.
Yep. Agreed. I don't use it.

So do you have specific truck lanes? That may be something that the car doesn't understand yet. But even if it is in the right lanes, it should see a slow vehicle and change lanes to pass. Unless there's a solid line that it doesn't want to cross.

It does work fairly well, but it's far from perfect.

Yeah, it’s a warmed over turd. Parlor trick and that’s about it.

Putting the lane change setting up to Mad Max might keep it from parking in the right lane and staying there, but this is only one of the many usability problems.

Regular autopilot is an actual driver assist tool as it exists right now. NoA requires much more attention and babysitting than simply driving yourself, which makes it basically worthless to me.

It's totally useless in the UK... I just turn it off - it's also super cautious and constantly braking (or rather "micro braking") because it believes cars are going to cut-in all the time if they wander even slightly close to the lane line. This constant braking makes both me and any passengers I have nauseous and nervous...

The lane change feature is utterly useless; it'll suggest lane changes but of course we need to activate the indicator and then also "tug the wheel" slightly to get it to actually do it... but we only have 5 seconds, otherwise it'll time-out and abort the lane change. So, that's completely pointless.

1) NoA chimes up that it wants to do a lane change, because we're 2 miles from our exit and we need to move over 1 lane.
2) I check my mirrors, watch for any cars that may then encroach on free drivable space, which would cause the 5 second timeout to kick in and abort the lane change. Also, I have to judge that if I indicate, will the other cars slow down quickly enough, and stay far enough back for the car to proceed, or it'll time out anyway (and annoy the other car)
3) If it all seems safe and clear and I think the car can make the change within the next 5 seconds, I'll indicate...
4) Oh yeah, and then I have to turn the wheel a bit to actually activate it... quickly though, because that's eating up at the 5 second window you get. And don't turn it too much - the sensitivity is way up at this point for the override... so you'll easily disengage autopilot by turning it too much!
5) Phew! Made it! Oh... we're still a mile off the exit, and now stuck behind a slow car. NoA chimes up: "Initiate lane change to move into faster lane"....

The flow of driving with NoA is so ridiculous that I just leave it off.

Last edited: