Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on Autopilot- Vancouver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're still on pre 2018.50, which I hear is better. With Toronto highways (401, 404) I've seen the problems others have noted.
  • Sudden slow downs if you don't change from collectors to express when the car thinks you should
  • A few wrong lane suggestions
  • Simplistically tries to move to HOV even though traffic is moving well in all other lanes
  • About 50:50 with off-ramp transitions
I find that the car, being cautious, tends to mess with other drivers expectations about how they are anticipating you'll move. Which on a crowded highway isn't so good.

Good progress from when we got the car, but I'm not seeing FSD happening for a few years yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
just spent two weeks in USA using NoA. Works well down coast but doesn’t do well on my commute here from Queensborough to Richmond and back.. wrong lane suggestions and doesn’t take right off-ramp directions.

What are you finding ?

Issues I've noticed on 2018.49.12:

-Eastbound on #1 heading towards the Mary Hill Bypass, it didn't suggest moving in the the 2nd lane from the right early enough.
-Even with "use HOV lanes" option enabled, it doesn't seem to recognize that there are HOV lanes on the #1
-The new feature of "passing on the left, keep to the right" is a good start but the logic needs to be tweaked. Often it will suggest to go back to the right lane but it would be semi dangerous given I would probably either slam in to the rear end of the slower moving car or I would have to change back to the left lane right away.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
I've found it useful to wait a little before confirming a suggested lane change.
Often it changes its mind if the lane change is not really required or conditions improve in your lane comparing to others.

This. I found the same issue driving to California and back over the holidays as well. Nav on Autopilot is helpful for suggestions and reminders but I'd never follow it blindly. Frankly I've found the NAV directions in general in the M3 to be only about 90% trustworthy. Frequently finding slower routes selected than google and in some cases just plain wrong (i.e. requesting two uturns rather than going straight through an intersection).
Don't get me wrong, its a nice perk, but it has a looong way to go for FSD as Darkenergy mentioned.

We have so few highway interchanges I haven't found it that useful. I turned off the lane suggestions because they didn't make sense. It was cool having it to take exits. My commute is just getting on and off highway one.

This. I found the same issue driving to California and back over the holidays as well. Nav on Autopilot is helpful for suggestions and reminders but I'd never follow it blindly. Frankly I've found the NAV directions in general in the M3 to be only about 90% trustworthy. Frequently finding slower routes selected than google and in some cases just plain wrong (i.e. requesting two uturns rather than going straight through an intersection).
Don't get me wrong, its a nice perk, but it has a looong way to go for FSD as Darkenergy mentioned.
I have one of those on my route as well. See it everyday. Can you imagine every FSD car doing two u-turns instead of going straight through an intersection? :eek:

just spent two weeks in USA using NoA. Works well down coast but doesn’t do well on my commute here from Queensborough to Richmond and back.. wrong lane suggestions and doesn’t take right off-ramp directions.

What are you finding ?
I havent tried on my commute from Queensborough to burnaby. Seems to work fine when I take Hwy from Burnette heading to Abbotsford. Don;t use autopilot on Boyd rd, no road markings and the car slowly drifts to the ditch! lol

• Informative
Reactions: Funkmobile