Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav system showing alternate routes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I generally like the Tesla nav system.
But......would be nice to show alternate routes to a destination, or be able to drag the route to another highway as you can do with google maps.
From what I can tell, it picks a route for you.
To change it, seems like you need to choose some waypoint along the alternate route and nav to that one first. Not ideal.
Would be very nice to compare different routes, showing the different overall times and the supercharger stops before starting the trip.
Am I missing something?

Yea, you bring to mind something I do often. Their are generally two main routes I can take going down to South Reno. The Tesla wants me to take the route of I580 because it is 1/2 mile shorter, but I always ignore that route and go down a newer roadway that has very little traffic. The I580 route is hectic with traffic and construction. I wish I could just tell it to always take my route in the future.

Reactions: KrenGrl
Yea, you bring to mind something I do often. Their are generally two main routes I can take going down to South Reno. The Tesla wants me to take the route of I580 because it is 1/2 mile shorter, but I always ignore that route and go down a newer roadway that has very little traffic. The I580 route is hectic with traffic and construction. I wish I could just tell it to always take my route in the future.
Exactly. There are times you'd prefer to take another route, but doesn't seem possible, it chooses one and that's that.
I hope they add this in a future update, would be awesome.

Reactions: KrenGrl
To be quite honest, after using Tesla NAV for 3 weeks I switched back to my Waze on the phone. Tesla app is just so lame, doesn't allow multiple stops, chooses stupid routes in NYC area and is by far the worst interactive NAV I ever used-its worst than Apple Maps when they came out. I'm totally disappointed by the screen functionality, lags on Video Streaming apps, lack of Music streaming apps-jus soooo lame. Apple and Android CAR apps are lightyears ahead

I agree, I don't understand this lack of ability to be presented with more than one route and inability to set Way-Points. Elon has said Way-Points are coming but dam that was over a year ago. Yet China and Japan are getting Nav tweaks even this week.

When we go see our grandkids in southern Maryland from southern IL it routes us on I-70 (northern route and through DC), yet a long time ago we found I-64 (southern route) to be more enjoyable and a bit faster. So I have to trick the system and nav to Louisville and then once in Louisville I can cancel it and press the preset I created to get me to southern Maryland where my grandkids live.

Its bad enough when you can just ignore the bad choices the nav makes and drive your preferred route until it figures it out. What it will be like when FSD gets rolled out and the only option you get is the stupid choice the nav makes.
If the choice is FSD on a congested road with constants stop/go or the relaxed road with almost no cars and manual driving
Err - I'll drive myself thanks

I haven't used the nav enough to really have had these issues, but do agree that waypoints would be really helpful as well as being able to at least choose a 'favorite' route if you can't drag the line to check out other possibilities. I'd also like it to be able to set an arrival SOC, like ABRP. Seems like those ought to be relatively simple things to add, but I'm not a programmer.

Bump. I was researching whether alternative route offerings were possible with Tesla navigation and this seems to confirm that they are not. I had never seen it available on my Model 3, but I had assumed that maybe I was just missing something in getting it to display. As it turns out, it is just not available. This is something that Tesla definitely should add.

I have run into the same problem. I want a route from the Florida panhandle to south Florida. It routes me down I-10 to I-75 south to the Florida Turnpike even though my settings are to avoid toll roads. I will circumvent the rigidity of the navigation by breaking my trip into segments. From my home to St. Augustine which will keep me on I-10 to I-95 and then navigate from St. Augustine to south Florida which will keep me on I-95 to my destination.

I'd still like to know what the basis for routing is - fastest route time-wise? shortest distance? most efficient in terms of energy use? It would be nice to be able to adjust that setting as well. It definitely does some weird routing for me at times.

Reactions: BnGrm
Its bad enough when you can just ignore the bad choices the nav makes and drive your preferred route until it figures it out.
I must have lost something......why is that bad? It happens to me a lot, because I often don't use the recommended route from the Nav system, and go my own way until it catches up. It seems to prefer highways and major thoroughfares, but I often would rather take an extra 5 minutes to avoid those and take a calmer and less busy route. Sometimes it directs me to a toll road, even though I have it set to avoid tolls, so I take an alternate.

I too wish there were options, like Google Maps offers on my phone. Hopefully this will come in a future update - it shouldn't be difficult. I still use it, to estimate my charge at arrival, but I am often frustrated by its only option and take my own way as often as I follow the Nav's direction. This is one of the ways Tesla is like Apple: it tells you what it's decided is the best way for you to do something, and that's the only option you've got (because they've decided it's best, and you shouldn't want anything else LOL).

I'd still like to know what the basis for routing is - fastest route time-wise? shortest distance? most efficient in terms of energy use? It would be nice to be able to adjust that setting as well. It definitely does some weird routing for me at times.
there is an option to set the threshold for traffic savings that has a default value I believe of 10 minutes, which can be set down to 5 or 2. Otherwise it would seem to prioritize distance over all else.

Alternate routes would be nice - I routinely pull up routes on my phone to compare.

A hack that I've used is to set a waypoint along the route that I want to take, then as you get close to the waypoint, just delete it. Not quite as convenient but it works.