Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate On Autopilot in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed some weird behavior with NoA while using no confirmation lane change and confirmation lane change and I have reason to believe that No Confirmation is bugged.

Even though no confirmation lane change is on to ignore the speed settings and go straight to Mad Max, I tested this by using No Confirmation and Confirmational lane changes on the same roads at similar times with similar traffic.

On Mild with no confirmation lane change, it was dashing all over the place, it continually wanted to make lane changes even going lower than 1km/h it followed behavior such as going in and out even when there was the minimal drop in speed.

On Average it continued to follow the same behavior as shown above. I then tried Mad Max and it followed exactly the same erratic behavior.

Then I tried with it doing the confirmation and it seemed to be far more correct.
On Mild with confirmation lane change, it was very mild in how it made lane changes, speed had to be significantly slower (10km/h) to even consider a lane change.

Average with confirmation lane change was about human behavior with having to be a consistent 5 or so km/h under the speed limit or set cruise control limit to consider making a lane change.

And Max Max with confirmation driving mode was just the Los Angeles driving mode 1km/h or so would trigger a lane change, continually dashing in and always trying to get ahead no matter what. Very annoying.

So there we go, from the looks, it appears to be have been released bugged! If others could test out this theory it would be much appreciated, maybe I'm just going insane.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Its NOA better and text voice is great. I don't have to talk to anyone any more just ext me
I've noticed some weird behavior with NoA while using no confirmation lane change and confirmation lane change and I have reason to believe that No Confirmation is bugged.

Nothing is bugged it just takes kilometres driven for your car to learn. Thats what I'm finding with my 3 FSD/NOA

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I've been playing with NOA for a week or so now, driving in to Melbourne from the western suburbs. Firmware 50.7.

My observations:

Seems to want to stay 1 lane left of the rightmost lane all the time, unless it's looking to take an exit.
Often wants to be in the wrong lane to take an exit - many times it thinks it should be in the 2nd lane, rather than the first for some reason. If I'm in the first lane, it will automatically take the exit though.
I tried it with no-confirmation a couple of times, but it's not consistent enough yet for me to trust it.

Yep NOA is a complete joke at the moment I’m afraid (and I’m on the latest 50.7 update). Here is what I’ve encountered thus far.

-frequent and illogical lane changes.
-Trying to change into a lane with slower traffic and even further away from an upcoming exit.
-having incorrect number of lanes displayed on screen.
-indicator coming on to change lanes when it should be and th em changing its mind and turning it off
-missing 80% of exits and having to forcibly take over the wheel to exit the freeway.

in its current state in Australia, NOA is not only incredibly poor, its downright frustrating and at times dangerous.

I’m often beta testing autopilot a lot but NOA within seconds makes me frustrated to the point of wanting to turn it off. it’s downright horrible.

let’s just hope that these R hand drive/Australian issues get addressed soon as they seem to be quite unique to us down under.

Reactions: Icey
James which vehicle are you in?

I used NoA for the first time today, Bendigo to Melbourne, return. I went straight to no confirmation Mad Max, because otherwise what’s the point...

In general I was unimpressed
- if I am in the left lane it indicates right when passing an off ramp, as in, it indicates to do nothing
- moves to the right lane too early for my liking
- moves back to the left lane too early, to the point I feel like I’m cutting off the car I’m overtaking. Previous vehicles I have owned that have adaptive cruise fitted would hit the brakes if someone pulled in like NoA does
- I was very close to cleaning up a motorcyclist because NoA pulled in too early. At this point I turned it off

in general it made me feel like I had to pay more attention with lane change on, because I didn’t trust it. If I have to confirm, I might as well do the change myself, which, with a flick of the indicator I find super easy in comparison to today’s experience.

Our Model X (AP2.5) that we had to pay like $7k for AutoPilot does not have a license (we have not paid) for FSD however is working with “Navigate on AutoPilot”.
Are there any others here that have NOA but not FSD? My understanding was that FSD was not required for this. (FWIW, I have not paid for FSD and I don’t have NOA as yet - I am on MCU1/ HW2.0).

Are there any others here that have NOA but not FSD? My understanding was that FSD was not required for this. (FWIW, I have not paid for FSD and I don’t have NOA as yet - I am on MCU1/ HW2.0).
So, I have since looked into this and while FSD is now required for NOA, it should be included in cars that have”EAP” (Enhanced Autopilot) - no longer an available package but it was when I bought my car. This explains why I have smart summon and auto park etc without FSD

So, I have since looked into this and while FSD is now required for NOA, it should be included in cars that have”EAP” (Enhanced Autopilot) - no longer an available package but it was when I bought my car. This explains why I have smart summon and auto park etc without FSD

yep, exactly what I have been advised by Tesla. They will also allow me to upgrade to FSD (no extra options as yet, and my hardware to be upgraded from 2.5 to 3) for around half the currently listed FSD price.

Once they have worked the price out, as it seems to be quoted case by case, I’ll make the payment and wait for hardware upgrade to come through in due course.

Strange that you need a HW3.0 computer for NOA but not for Smart Summon or auto lane change