TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigate on autopilot never requires user feedback

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by TrooperCA, Sep 20, 2019.

1. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

Just took delivery of a LR AWD FSD yesterday.
    V9 2019.27.103

I notice that the steering wheel is always 1 degree offer center to the right.

Is it normal that I ran navigate on autopilot for 1 hour and the car never required me to put my hand on the steering wheel or any type of feedback.

Blessing in disguise? Did anyone encounter this? Or is it working as designed?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Well-Known Member

I have a theory that the entire steering wheel + torque sensors very wildly from one vehicle to another in terms of calibration/sensitivity.

It could explain why someone like you gets zero nags, and other people struggle with gets the nags to stop even when they are holding the steering wheel.

How so many people have been caught sleeping behind the wheel in a Tesla, and my Tesla is REALLY good about making sure I'm holding the steering wheel.

• Helpful x 1
  3. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

Very good observation, thank you for sharing!

I’m a little worried, maybe I’ll just live with the misalignment. I really don’t want to have to touch the steering wheel every 2 mins while on Navigating on Autopilot.

4. Ludachris

Ludachris Member

5. Ludachris

Ludachris Member

Sorry for edit. 1st post.

Same exact issue here. The car tracks straight but the wheel is off to the right. Have you had any issues with AP on the highway ping ponging back n forth? It works fine on low speeds but highway was unacceptable. I wasn’t sure if it needed more time to calibrate, or due to the wheel being off.

6. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

AP seems to drive relatively centered in lane. Sometimes maybe just slightly to the right. I haven’t really used AP over 65 mph. I have had the ping pong experience but very mild. I’ll know more as I drive more miles. Waiting to get PPF to avoid rock chips before speeding up.

7. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Usually only happens to me if the lane markings are faded.

8. airpor41

airpor41 Member

I always keep a grip on the wheel because sometimes it does things I really don't like -- moving over to the right when a lane merges in from the right, for example. I just grab the wheel and stop it from moving which drops out of auto-steer. And it definitely nags for wheel torque quite soon in any case.

9. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

Want to post an update.

my blessing is gone...requires attention every 2-5 mins.

Yes, I come to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the system.

I don’t trust it to merge and freeway splits. It gets confused. Other than that it’s all good!!

10. davidk2213

davidk2213 Member

I have the ping pong at 70-80 mph and it makes you car sick, also drive off center in lane and will be quite far left. Sometimes I will have my wheel on the line!! Still hope the newer software is going to correct it.

11. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

I’m updating right now.

I would suggest maybe perform the update then do a system reset and let the autopilot system recalibrate?

12. cfichuck

cfichuck Member

I'd love every two to five minutes. Mine is every 35 seconds.

13. TrooperCA

TrooperCA Member

might want to invest in that cell phone holder that mimics resistance hahaha

14. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

My wheel is also canted to the right. Car and AP track totally straight, whether I'm deadhanding the wheel from the left or right side.