Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot never requires user feedback

Just took delivery of a LR AWD FSD yesterday.
V9 2019.27.103

I notice that the steering wheel is always 1 degree offer center to the right.

Is it normal that I ran navigate on autopilot for 1 hour and the car never required me to put my hand on the steering wheel or any type of feedback.

Blessing in disguise? Did anyone encounter this? Or is it working as designed?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and DirtyT3sla

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I have a theory that the entire steering wheel + torque sensors very wildly from one vehicle to another in terms of calibration/sensitivity.

It could explain why someone like you gets zero nags, and other people struggle with gets the nags to stop even when they are holding the steering wheel.

How so many people have been caught sleeping behind the wheel in a Tesla, and my Tesla is REALLY good about making sure I'm holding the steering wheel.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrooperCA
I have a theory that the entire steering wheel + torque sensors very wildly from one vehicle to another in terms of calibration/sensitivity.

It could explain why someone like you gets zero nags, and other people struggle with gets the nags to stop even when they are holding the steering wheel.

How so many people have been caught sleeping behind the wheel in a Tesla, and my Tesla is REALLY good about making sure I'm holding the steering wheel.

Very good observation, thank you for sharing!

I’m a little worried, maybe I’ll just live with the misalignment. I really don’t want to have to touch the steering wheel every 2 mins while on Navigating on Autopilot.

Ludachris

Sep 21, 2019
GA
Just took delivery of a LR AWD FSD yesterday.
V9 2019.27.103

I notice that the steering wheel is always 1 degree offer center to the right.

Same exact issue here. The car tracks straight but the wheel is off to the right. Have you had any issues with AP on the highway ping ponging back n forth? It works fine on low speeds but highway was unacceptable. I wasn’t sure if it needed more time to calibrate, or due to the wheel being off.

Is it normal that I ran navigate on autopilot for 1 hour and the car never required me to put my hand on the steering wheel or any type of feedback.

Blessing in disguise? Did anyone encounter this? Or is it working as designed?

Ludachris

Sep 21, 2019
GA
Sorry for edit. 1st post.

Same exact issue here. The car tracks straight but the wheel is off to the right. Have you had any issues with AP on the highway ping ponging back n forth? It works fine on low speeds but highway was unacceptable. I wasn’t sure if it needed more time to calibrate, or due to the wheel being off.

Sorry for edit. 1st post.

AP seems to drive relatively centered in lane. Sometimes maybe just slightly to the right. I haven’t really used AP over 65 mph. I have had the ping pong experience but very mild. I’ll know more as I drive more miles. Waiting to get PPF to avoid rock chips before speeding up.

I have the ping pong at 70-80 mph and it makes you car sick, also drive off center in lane and will be quite far left. Sometimes I will have my wheel on the line!! Still hope the newer software is going to correct it.
I’m updating right now.

I would suggest maybe perform the update then do a system reset and let the autopilot system recalibrate?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC