Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot never requires user feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a LR AWD FSD yesterday.
V9 2019.27.103

I notice that the steering wheel is always 1 degree offer center to the right.

Is it normal that I ran navigate on autopilot for 1 hour and the car never required me to put my hand on the steering wheel or any type of feedback.

Blessing in disguise? Did anyone encounter this? Or is it working as designed?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and DirtyT3sla
I have a theory that the entire steering wheel + torque sensors very wildly from one vehicle to another in terms of calibration/sensitivity.

It could explain why someone like you gets zero nags, and other people struggle with gets the nags to stop even when they are holding the steering wheel.

How so many people have been caught sleeping behind the wheel in a Tesla, and my Tesla is REALLY good about making sure I'm holding the steering wheel.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrooperCA
I have a theory that the entire steering wheel + torque sensors very wildly from one vehicle to another in terms of calibration/sensitivity.

It could explain why someone like you gets zero nags, and other people struggle with gets the nags to stop even when they are holding the steering wheel.

How so many people have been caught sleeping behind the wheel in a Tesla, and my Tesla is REALLY good about making sure I'm holding the steering wheel.

Very good observation, thank you for sharing!

I’m a little worried, maybe I’ll just live with the misalignment. I really don’t want to have to touch the steering wheel every 2 mins while on Navigating on Autopilot.

Just took delivery of a LR AWD FSD yesterday.
V9 2019.27.103

I notice that the steering wheel is always 1 degree offer center to the right.

Same exact issue here. The car tracks straight but the wheel is off to the right. Have you had any issues with AP on the highway ping ponging back n forth? It works fine on low speeds but highway was unacceptable. I wasn’t sure if it needed more time to calibrate, or due to the wheel being off.

Is it normal that I ran navigate on autopilot for 1 hour and the car never required me to put my hand on the steering wheel or any type of feedback.

Blessing in disguise? Did anyone encounter this? Or is it working as designed?

Sorry for edit. 1st post.

Same exact issue here. The car tracks straight but the wheel is off to the right. Have you had any issues with AP on the highway ping ponging back n forth? It works fine on low speeds but highway was unacceptable. I wasn’t sure if it needed more time to calibrate, or due to the wheel being off.

Sorry for edit. 1st post.

AP seems to drive relatively centered in lane. Sometimes maybe just slightly to the right. I haven’t really used AP over 65 mph. I have had the ping pong experience but very mild. I’ll know more as I drive more miles. Waiting to get PPF to avoid rock chips before speeding up.

I always keep a grip on the wheel because sometimes it does things I really don't like -- moving over to the right when a lane merges in from the right, for example. I just grab the wheel and stop it from moving which drops out of auto-steer. And it definitely nags for wheel torque quite soon in any case.

Want to post an update.

my blessing is gone...requires attention every 2-5 mins.

Yes, I come to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the system.

I don’t trust it to merge and freeway splits. It gets confused. Other than that it’s all good!!