Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all those on AP2.5 that got navigate on Autopilot - what are your thoughts?

Honestly kind of disappointed.
- WAY too conservative on pestering you to get over right/left for an upcoming on/off ramp. Exit in 2 miles? Better get all the way over or it’ll have a panic attack.
- Lane change suggestions are beneficial 50% of the time at best
- Seems to have a “right lane lust”, when I take every suggestion I almost always find myself getting shoved right. In what world does that help a car barreling down a highway at 85mph.
- Lane change has to be physically approved, which isn’t all that bad because:
- Lane change frequently pops up even when the car knows full well your blind spot is blocked
- If you try to cancel the lane change, it keeps your blinker going until you swipe it the opposite way

The ability to actually make it off/on the ramps is good though, and it’s a step in the right direction at least. Is there any integration to Waze, etc or is it purely basing decisions off its surrounding view?

- WAY too conservative on pestering you to get over right/left for an upcoming on/off ramp. Exit in 2 miles? Better get all the way over or it’ll have a panic attack.
There is an option available for aggressiveness, have you tried it? It doesn't have a panic attack, it is generally providing you notification that you've got 2 minutes to get over.
- Seems to have a “right lane lust”, when I take every suggestion I almost always find myself getting shoved right. In what world does that help a car barreling down a highway at 85mph.
Since you seem to be a left laner, the secret is that the right lane is often then fastest, because you left laners slow the left lane down. But in reality, you are supposed to stay to the right, except when passing.
- Lane change frequently pops up even when the car knows full well your blind spot is blocked
It should not do a lane change if the blind spot is blocked, it may indicate that one is needed, just not do it.
- If you try to cancel the lane change, it keeps your blinker going until you swipe it the opposite way

The ability to actually make it off/on the ramps is good though, and it’s a step in the right direction at least. Is there any integration to Waze, etc or is it purely basing decisions off its surrounding view?

I've only had about 5 minutes on it, and that was in really heavy, fast traffic, where 2 minutes was appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and GWord
We live in Massachusetts and the off ramps have significant curves with speed limits ranging from 25mph to 45mph. I have never let Navigate in Autopilot take me into as offramp as it approaches at full highway speed long after I would have slowed down to prepare for the curve. Perhaps it is going to slow down at the last minute, but I am uncomfortable taking that ramp at that speed without seeing it work (all the videos I have seen are offramps with high speed limits or where someone has a car in front of them slowing down). Anyone else have experience with this issue?

We live in Massachusetts and the off ramps have significant curves with speed limits ranging from 25mph to 45mph. I have never let Navigate in Autopilot take me into as offramp as it approaches at full highway speed long after I would have slowed down to prepare for the curve. Perhaps it is going to slow down at the last minute, but I am uncomfortable taking that ramp at that speed without seeing it work (all the videos I have seen are offramps with high speed limits or where someone has a car in front of them slowing down). Anyone else have experience with this issue?
Poweroftwo, you broke the code!!! The autopilot programmers live in Silicon Valley with those beautiful freeways, smooth on and off ramps, etc. We in good old Massachusetts are driving on highways that were initially deer trails, then Natick indians, then Pilgrims. Very sharp and abrupt on and off ramps decorated with tons of pot holes, smega all over the place. Those California weenies can't imagine such conditions. (I'm originally from goofy land, didn't understand the real world until I moved east 40 years ago. At least we don't spend our time cleaning up poop from the sidewalks, a la Frisco. But that's another story.) The other day I was on the Mass Pike (a toll road, done before Ike's free highway gift to the West), exiting south on 128. In the right lane being slowed down by the car in front of me. As soon as Auto moved me over to the exit lane my S accelerated towards my setting of 70 mph, just as I was about to hit the 25 mph exit curve. Needless to say a punted. Navigate on Autopilot is a cool feature for us techies to play with, but the coders have a lot of work to do to make it ready for prime time. My guess is when they come out with the new ASIC chip they will have to processing power that is necessary to support the layers of software that are required to make this work as it should.

Reactions: u00mem9
Treat NOAP as a student driver. This is beta software - and will have issues in some areas that will be addressed in subsequent releases.

If you encounter any major issues - do a bug report from the car - and try to do that as soon as you can after the issue occurs, so Tesla can use the timestamp on the bug report to find the location in your vehicle logs to review.

Reactions: GWord
I think it's a great first step. Given that Tesla's software development has always been an iterative process with the drivers doing the beta, this seems like natural progression and, frankly, a pretty big step in the evolution of AP. This is leaps and bounds beyond what any other manufacturer is offering right now, even as an obvious (and documented) beta version. Amusing that some seem to think that it should have come out as a fully functional robot chauffer. That's like complaining that NASA didn't go for the moon on Apollo 1.

Reactions: EinSV and milleron
I think it's a great first step. Given that Tesla's software development has always been an iterative process with the drivers doing the beta, this seems like natural progression and, frankly, a pretty big step in the evolution of AP. This is leaps and bounds beyond what any other manufacturer is offering right now, even as an obvious (and documented) beta version. Amusing that some seem to think that it should have come out as a fully functional robot chauffer. That's like complaining that NASA didn't go for the moon on Apollo 1.
I thoroughly agree. There's no logical reason to be critical of the perceived shortcomings of Navigate on AP because it's merely a first step along the road to FSD. The data that Tesla is gathering with this release is what will allow them to continue perfecting it. I, personally, am gratified to be part of the process. I think it's an amazing first step so it would never cross my mind to point out its shortcomings in any but a constructive way. The gurus in Fremont will know from data logs where and when drivers bailed out of NoAP on the Mass Pike. That fact will allow them to make it work on the Mass Pike in the future.
Patience with Tesla's newest features is almost always rewarded.

Reactions: EinSV

I get that it’s beta version and definitely feels the part, but with the MobileEye technology I don’t see where the excuse lies. MobileEye is leaps and bounds above almost everything, why is it not plug and play? I get that there are differences in calibration between test vehicles and Tesla’s but in the grand scope of things that’s not in the ballpark of complex compared to the bulk software development.

There is an option available for aggressiveness, have you tried it? It doesn't have a panic attack, it is generally providing you notification that you've got 2 minutes to get over.
Since you seem to be a left laner, the secret is that the right lane is often then fastest, because you left laners slow the left lane down. But in reality, you are supposed to stay to the right, except when passing.
It should not do a lane change if the blind spot is blocked, it may indicate that one is needed, just not do it.

I've only had about 5 minutes on it, and that was in really heavy, fast traffic, where 2 minutes was appreciated.

Does Mad Max mode naturally veer left? I’m in Houston, right lanes clog up like crazy with people exiting. Someone hogging the left can expect to get a rear view mirror full of an F-350’s high beams if you’re not hitting the gas.

New observation for Nav on AP. I’ve found that it suggests changing to the left lane when there is an upcoming entrance ramp with potential traffic entering the hwy. Suggests the lane change whether actually any entering traffic or not and even if left lane not clear to enter.

Tried out Mad Max. Actually works pretty well. Makes a few stupid calls but generally quite good. Can’t wait to come out of Beta and have it auto-change.

It did however have an event that it probably would have caught, but I intervened. A truck and I were turning into the same lane, I saw him coming and took over control. No warnings from Autopilot but I’m hoping emergency assist would have engaged..