Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation gone nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if this was caused by the last update the other day or not but the navigation is plotting totally incorrect paths. It wants me to go the wrong way on one way streets and goes to the wrong location. The map shows the correct street names but ends on a totally different street than the requested one. This is in Longueuil QC Canada. Navigation was fine getting here. Then I did the update and it's all wrong. I've only done two navigations since the update and they were both totally wrong. It is possible that much of Longueuil has always been messed up and it wasn't the update. Anybody else experiencing similar?

I don't know if this was caused by the last update the other day or not but the navigation is plotting totally incorrect paths. It wants me to go the wrong way on one way streets and goes to the wrong location. The map shows the correct street names but ends on a totally different street than the requested one. This is in Longueuil QC Canada. Navigation was fine getting here. Then I did the update and it's all wrong. I've only done two navigations since the update and they were both totally wrong. It is possible that much of Longueuil has always been messed up and it wasn't the update. Anybody else experiencing similar?
Nav has always been inconsistent which is why those of us who depend on route guidance don't trust it and use our phones instead. From what I've read this will be fixed when 8.0 comes out.

No. Really!

My Acura used to literally send me in circles around SF. I haven't many issues with the Tesla. I can usually tell when it is in the "crazy zone". I give it a minute or so and it finds its way again. This last time was just plain backwards.

Of course, it thinks my house is at the other end of the street. So I have to keep that in mind!

Tesla nav is a little odd at times. Sometimes it wants me to get off of the highway and connect via smaller roads to another highway vs staying on and going highway to highway. It's odd enough that I always double check with waze or google maps. Really hoping it gets improved so it can be counted on. Having to double map everything is a pain.

No. Really!

My Acura used to literally send me in circles around SF. I haven't many issues with the Tesla. I can usually tell when it is in the "crazy zone". I give it a minute or so and it finds its way again. This last time was just plain backwards.

Of course, it thinks my house is at the other end of the street. So I have to keep that in mind!
Just wanted you to know I didn't doubt what you said. It's just rare that I find someone who says Tesla's Nav works for them.

I have had the S for a week and think the navigation with the integration of voice search is better than any other car I have had previously.

The voice search is very quick, accurate, and instantaneous without much lag. Thoroughly enjoying it.

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
FWIW, Tesla NAV has worked well for me in the one year I have had the car, except once when it wanted me to take a left where a curb seemed to have been constructed (recently?) to block the left turn.
If the console is slow, the turn-by-turn directions can be later that I like.
But that can be fixed with a simple reboot, and is needed only infrequently.

From what I've read this will be fixed when 8.0 comes out.

Mine has always been okay, but 8.0 seems to have broken it.

It seems to be able to handle shorter trips (100 - 150 miles) but anything longer and it goes haywire. I tried to plot a trip from the Toronto area to the Chicago area and it just spun away confused, re-started the Navigation routine several times (according to screen messages) and just can't do it. For some reason, it heads out to Montreal (!) then down into the US before it just crashes. Tried re-booting the 17" several times to no avail. Is this just me?

It seems to be able to handle shorter trips (100 - 150 miles) but anything longer and it goes haywire. I tried to plot a trip from the Toronto area to the Chicago area and it just spun away confused, re-started the Navigation routine several times (according to screen messages) and just can't do it. For some reason, it heads out to Montreal (!) then down into the US before it just crashes. Tried re-booting the 17" several times to no avail. Is this just me?
Mines always been broken but it's not worse than 7.1, it's the same.

I had this issue from time to time, and the only way I could fix it was turning off the trip planner. You turn it off and then the nav works, but of course it won't route you through superchargers. You just have to route from supercharger to supercharger.

I tend to leave it on, and then if does the spin thing then I turn it off to navigate to where I'm going.