Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation inaccurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time today we had some inaccuracies in the navigation. Once it wanted us to make a u turn when there was a right turn available to take to the correct street. Then we were told to turn right and do another u turn when we should have gone straight to our destination. Has anyone had this problem. We had a good connection and 5 bars so not sure what was going on. Never had this problem until today.

Yeah, google (garmin, actually) nav has some serious errors in. Getting to the Seattle Service Center, it had me crossing a street with a jersey barrier running down the middle. Another time it wanted me to drive through a 30 ft deep excavation for the Seattle light rail station on Capital Hill. And, I've seen plenty of smaller errors like you saw. I doubt there is a nav system that doesn't have errors like this. There is no substitute for having a good sense of navigation.

Sounds like a GPS positioning glitch to me. The car thinks it is in a different position than it is actually in. This happened to me with a Garmin years ago, but has not happened in Model S.

It might be as simple as rebooting the 17" (hold down the scroll wheels until the screen blanks).

In my experience Google Maps is very accurate, but the turn-by-turn instructions are generated by the built-in navigation - and its maps are not nearly as up-to-date. This leads to bizarre situations where the turn-by-turn leads you completely astray, yet if you ignore navigation and simply follow the map it will lead you to the exact right place!

On a recent trip to Montreal I was trying to get on a highway and it was telling me to drive in circles. On my previous trip I was trying to get to a mailbox company in an old industrial park in Ogdensburg NY, and it took me to a children's mental hospital over a mile away. (I think it was trying to tell me I was crazy for following navigation.) It's odd because in both of these situations the roads in question were not newly built.

All that said, it works perfectly most of the time. But when it fails, it really fails.

In my experience Google Maps is very accurate, but the turn-by-turn instructions are generated by the built-in navigation - and its maps are not nearly as up-to-date. This leads to bizarre situations where the turn-by-turn leads you completely astray, yet if you ignore navigation and simply follow the map it will lead you to the exact right place!

On a recent trip to Montreal I was trying to get on a highway and it was telling me to drive in circles. On my previous trip I was trying to get to a mailbox company in an old industrial park in Ogdensburg NY, and it took me to a children's mental hospital over a mile away. (I think it was trying to tell me I was crazy for following navigation.) It's odd because in both of these situations the roads in question were not newly built.

All that said, it works perfectly most of the time. But when it fails, it really fails.
Exactly...the Navigon/Garmin is pretty painful, but Tesla does swear it will improve.

Navigon has some inaccuracies. At numerous times Google displayed a left turn arrow (correct) while Navigon voice prompts me to turn right (incorrect). Things of this nature could potentially be serious and put the occupants in a dangerous situation. Lots of room for improvement on Navigon. I hope Tesla integrates "WAZE" to replace Navigon sooner than later.

On my first road trip I was trying to find a hotel and had it plugged into the Nav. I followed the directions perfectly and was told, "Turn Left" then I was immediately told, "Your destination is on the right." Which was true. Unfortunately the only "left" available was a long slow curve entrance ramp. My destination was indeed on the right and I looked longingly at it as I got back on an interstate. I had to go three miles to the next exit before returning and driving without nav assistance to the hotel. My wife thought the whole episode was hilarious!

Wonder if they'll push updates for the navigation maps with the 6.0 release. With the tech package, we are supposed to get "free updates for seven years" - and it doesn't appear I've had an update since my car was built in December 2012...

With Internet connectivity, the entire concept of a static map database is obsolete - and they really should shift to using frequently updated maps - like Google Maps instead of a separate map database that gets infrequently updated - and even when the update is installed is already out-of-date...

Wonder if they'll push updates for the navigation maps with the 6.0 release. With the tech package, we are supposed to get "free updates for seven years" - and it doesn't appear I've had an update since my car was built in December 2012...

With Internet connectivity, the entire concept of a static map database is obsolete - and they really should shift to using frequently updated maps - like Google Maps instead of a separate map database that gets infrequently updated - and even when the update is installed is already out-of-date...

I agree that the Navigon database needs to be updated. About a month ago, I drove over the new Bay Bridge to San Francisco, and Navigon thought I was sailing on water! Google Maps on the touch screen was good though.

Having said that, I still believe there needs to be a database of maps stored locally, to avoid issues when connectivity is lost, or too poor to download map data. My personal opinion is that it is best to just use Google Maps for everything, including navigation, and constantly maintain the minimum data required to be able to navigate without network for some some 400 miles. Waze will integrate with Google Maps sooner or later anyway.

I agree that the Navigon database needs to be updated. About a month ago, I drove over the new Bay Bridge to San Francisco, and Navigon thought I was sailing on water! Google Maps on the touch screen was good

I went across the Bay Bridge this week and Navigon was accurate. And of course Google Maps was as well.

I assume your Navigon showed you were northwest of the new Bay Bridge span?

I went across the Bay Bridge this week and Navigon was accurate. And of course Google Maps was as well.

I assume your Navigon showed you were northwest of the new Bay Bridge span?

I was not exactly sure what was going on because I was new to the area and crossing the bridge for the first time. What really happened was I was coming down from north (don't remember on which highway), and took a wrong left (possibly HOV) exit, and somehow got on the bridge via an EZPass only lane. When I was on the first half of the bridge, Navigon was showing me on the water. This was a few days before 2014.

Agree that the navigation software should use the same maps as the touchscreen map display. With Internet connectivity, it doesn't make sense to force the navigation software to use maps that are updated every 6 to 12 months - when the touchscreen display shows road changes within days using Google maps. It doesn't appear that my MS has received any navigation map updates since it was built in December 2012...