Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NavTool Integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm skeptical even without that. If we assume the product switches the video output as it does for their other products, display orientation is an issue. Nearly all source inputs are going to assume a horizontally-oriented display. To work with the Model S's portrait display, something is going to need to rotate and scale the video, otherwise everything is going to be sideways. And even then it'll probably look weird.

Maybe they hijack the video feed from the rear camera, but it's hard to tell from what they have posted. The connectors pictured are definitively not the rear camera's connectors, so if that is what they're doing the pictures are inaccurate.
No it won't. The rear camera view can only take up half the screen. So it will still be horizontal. Anyone who thinks this does something different than hijack the rear camera input is delusional. It won't. Those are soldered connections between LCD and PCB.

Reactions: m5james
No it won't. The rear camera view can only take up half the screen. So it will still be horizontal. Anyone who thinks this does something different than hijack the rear camera input is delusional. It won't. Those are soldered connections between LCD and PCB.
I kind of speculated how it could go either of the ways, but you just kind of went off on the first part. I haven't had my MCU apart, though maybe you have?

Delusional seems like strong wording for a product we know little about. First, because that's not how their other products work, and second, because the product they are selling in the pictures on that page absolutely cannot work in the manner you describe. The connectors are physically different. I have one right here on my desk.

The actual connectors pictured do bear a resemblance to those on the MCU (see Tesla Model S (2012-2015) OEM Premium MCU Touch-Screen Nav Display 1004777-00-E | eBay for example ), but I'll have to check the service manual when I get home to see what those are.

I'd like to think you're right as certainly that's the more attractive solution, but as it stands that's supported with nothing more than hope at this point.

Reactions: supratachophobia
After seeing the way it worked on my friends Cadillac.I do have high hopes for it. I would like to Add side cameras a front camera and a camera for my third row. I figured I could 3-D print the two side cameras in the Tesla Side emblems were the Tesla cameras are on the new ones.
Just being able to mirror my iPhone would be worth it to me . The nice thing about mirroring an iPhone is if the picture is the wrong vertical all I have to do is turn the iPhone to change it . But this would be awesome for hanging out at superchargers. being able to watch a video or hooking a nes classic up to it and play punch out.
Also I called they said they were on back order.

I kind of speculated how it could go either of the ways, but you just kind of went off on the first part. I haven't had my MCU apart, though maybe you have?

Delusional seems like strong wording for a product we know little about. First, because that's not how their other products work, and second, because the product they are selling in the pictures on that page absolutely cannot work in the manner you describe. The connectors are physically different. I have one right here on my desk.

The actual connectors pictured do bear a resemblance to those on the MCU (see Tesla Model S (2012-2015) OEM Premium MCU Touch-Screen Nav Display 1004777-00-E | eBay for example ), but I'll have to check the service manual when I get home to see what those are.

I'd like to think you're right as certainly that's the more attractive solution, but as it stands that's supported with nothing more than hope at this point.
I'm sorry. I get wound up about Model 3 owners on /r/teslamotors who think that if they want a feature bad enough, Model 3 will magically appear with it.

After seeing the way it worked on my friends Cadillac.I do have high hopes for it. I would like to Add side cameras a front camera and a camera for my third row. I figured I could 3-D print the two side cameras in the Tesla Side emblems were the Tesla cameras are on the new ones.
Just being able to mirror my iPhone would be worth it to me . The nice thing about mirroring an iPhone is if the picture is the wrong vertical all I have to do is turn the iPhone to change it . But this would be awesome for hanging out at superchargers. being able to watch a video or hooking a nes classic up to it and play punch out.
Also I called they said they were on back order.
"Backorder" AKA, "We are trying to figure out how the hell we are going to make this thing with with a Tesla....."

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur
"Backorder" AKA, "We are trying to figure out how the hell we are going to make this thing with with a Tesla....."

Tried the help chat... tried asking for my email/SMS after long time. I guess that's my issue too ;)

Looking at cables/input/etc from existing manuals, this appears to be either rca or hdmi inputs though would love to see install manual and wiring harness connection list for Model S; unless that's on back order too? /s

I just talked to them over chat. They said May 15th they will be back in stock. I'm ordering now! I will post as soon as it ships and will install the same day. I will do an unboxing and upload detailed pictures of the entire installation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.08.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.08.11 PM.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 104
I just talked to them over chat. They said May 15th they will be back in stock. I'm ordering now! I will post as soon as it ships and will install the same day. I will do an unboxing and upload detailed pictures of the entire installation.

You are the real MVP here..... Per my previous comment, IF it does not work and you have to return it, I will pitch in to help cover the restocking fee.

I think "MVP" might also aptly describe what they're selling. :)
If it works.... if it works....

I'm not sure we all realize what this means moving forward if it actually does work. Or maybe we do, I don't know. I see a switch hidden somewhere that you can toggle between rear-backup (default), rear-facing seat, front-camera parking, phone screen mirroring, traffic drone footage, dash cam input/review (on certain models that have direct video out), Mario Kart (ONLY WHILE SUPERCHARGING!), and whatever else your video input heart can come up with.

Then again, it could be vaporware or just plain not work on a Tesla. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Reactions: Bheuring
The one thing that scares me is that they have it on their site for sale like it's a working product but then when you dig deeper you find out that they're testing it .
I will say again that my friend has one for his Cadillac and it works flawless all four cameras mirroring from his iPhone everything

Please keep in touch I will send you a message as soon as I get mine maybe we can help each other out
I do know if I can get it to work correctly I'm going to be searching for the second generation side cameras that would be awesome to get that to work

If it works.... if it works....

I'm not sure we all realize what this means moving forward if it actually does work. Or maybe we do, I don't know. I see a switch hidden somewhere that you can toggle between rear-backup (default), rear-facing seat, front-camera parking, phone screen mirroring, traffic drone footage, dash cam input/review (on certain models that have direct video out), Mario Kart (ONLY WHILE SUPERCHARGING!), and whatever else your video input heart can come up with.

Then again, it could be vaporware or just plain not work on a Tesla. Looking forward to seeing what happens.
Lol Mario kart is running my whole house