Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Near-future quarterly financial projections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news - 88k deliveries on 102k production.

Unfortunately Tesla didn't break out Y from 3. I'm guessing 1,200 Ys delivered of 1,500 produced.

Big question now is - what is the auto margin. It improved dramatically from 13.3% to 15.9% to 19.2% in Q1->Q2->Q3 last year, ending with 19.9% in Q4. My assumption was in Q1 it would be 19%, given GF3 and Y ramp up. Now with all the inefficiencies associated with Covid, I won't be surprised if the margin has dropped further. With 19%, I get a gaap loss of about $100M. With 18% margin, it goes to $150M loss.

i’m thinking anywhere between -180+50mm...
which is a great quarter considering history and current circumstances

Reactions: erha and navguy12
Good news - 88k deliveries on 102k production.

Unfortunately Tesla didn't break out Y from 3. I'm guessing 1,200 Ys delivered of 1,500 produced.

Big question now is - what is the auto margin. It improved dramatically from 13.3% to 15.9% to 19.2% in Q1->Q2->Q3 last year, ending with 19.9% in Q4. My assumption was in Q1 it would be 19%, given GF3 and Y ramp up. Now with all the inefficiencies associated with Covid, I won't be surprised if the margin has dropped further. With 19%, I get a gaap loss of about $100M. With 18% margin, it goes to $150M loss.

Is that $100M gaap loss including or excluding FCA credits from Europe?

Reactions: hobbes
102k+ production brings cumulative total to 1022k. That's 22k in the final 22 days. Fremont ran for two weeks after 1m. That's enough for 16-17k cars, though the last few days may have not been at full speed. I'd guess 15k Fremont and 7k GF3.

Making only 15k S/X and ~73k 3/Y (80k/quarter pace) in Fremont won't be good for fixed cost or labor absorption. I don't think that's a killer, though. Losing volume price breaks on parts might hurt more. I expect they'll move a bunch of other costs into Q1 while they're at it, since they can just blame the virus.

I expect they'll move a bunch of other costs into Q1 while they're at it, since they can just blame the virus.
Question is - does Tesla care about getting into S&P 500. If they can move those costs to after Q2, it might be worthwhile waiting. They have $248M profit from Q3 & Q4 - so max that would be the max they want to incur in losses in Q1. That way any profit in Q2 will get them to S&P 500.

Reactions: saniflash
88,400 deliveries is great! I was off by more than 5K but I'm glad they achieved a much higher number than most people expected. In my survey here, 45 out of 58 participants (78%) were expecting a lower number.
  • My delivery estimate was off by 5,300 units (83,100 estimated vs 88,400 actual)
  • My production estimate was off by 272 units (102,400 estimated vs 102,672 actual)
28RGU8a.png

Here are some of my other estimates for Q1 2020:
  • Production in Shanghai: 15,894 units
  • Deliveries in China: 14,858 units (Q4 2019 was 13,003 units)
  • Model Y deliveries: 1,800 units

Question is - does Tesla care about getting into S&P 500. If they can move those costs to after Q2, it might be worthwhile waiting. They have $248M profit from Q3 & Q4 - so max that would be the max they want to incur in losses in Q1. That way any profit in Q2 will get them to S&P 500.
What do you think is the minimum # of cars Tesla would need to deliver in Q2 to have a chance at being profitable for that quarter?

These are exceptional times and the foreign exchange impact to Q1 numbers strikes me as the biggest uncertainty. We also don’t know the terms of the fiat deal so quite a bit of uncertainty there in the actual mechanics in the face of falling fiat sales. While in the absence of the macro trends I don’t doubt Tesla would be crushing this financial report. I really don’t know what to expect now.

I am not convinced the P+D numbers tell a good story. Don’t get me wrong the story is better than it could have been, so if that’s your bar then everything is great. But to me it just says that deliveries were able to stay somewhat on track. These sales were mostly earned pre-corona. Sales rate in Q2 and beyond we are in the dark on. If they are bad in Q2 we won’t know because with the factory shutdown there is no reason to pull demand levers. This is a spot to tread carefully I think. Potential for big price swings.

These are exceptional times and the foreign exchange impact to Q1 numbers strikes me as the biggest uncertainty. We also don’t know the terms of the fiat deal so quite a bit of uncertainty there in the actual mechanics in the face of falling fiat sales. While in the absence of the macro trends I don’t doubt Tesla would be crushing this financial report. I really don’t know what to expect now.

I am not convinced the P+D numbers tell a good story. Don’t get me wrong the story is better than it could have been, so if that’s your bar then everything is great. But to me it just says that deliveries were able to stay somewhat on track. These sales were mostly earned pre-corona. Sales rate in Q2 and beyond we are in the dark on. If they are bad in Q2 we won’t know because with the factory shutdown there is no reason to pull demand levers. This is a spot to tread carefully I think. Potential for big price swings.

What I am hoping for this year is :- I want to see at the end of the year is cash position = $8b - capex.

I expect there might be a significant capex and an operating loss Q2, so on paper it looks bad, and those betting against Tesla may dive right in.

IMO they are walking right into a trap... I expect Q3 and Q4 to be much better and if capex is spent it will be for a reason and it will lift revenue from Q2 ownards. Fortune favours the brave.

Q1 is a good result all things considered, Tesla isn't immune to CV19, it is a very challenging time for most companies.
In the long run, relative performance, growth, revenue and long term profits will count.

IMO this is simply revisiting an earlier era via a different route, yes it is challenging, and it does require smart and at times brave decision making.

Inclusion in S&P500 and the required profitability would kill off the "perpetual loss" mantra coming from J Chanos and M Spiegel. I hate to give them that much importance in the life of TSLA but the fact is they are heavyweights in the investing (okay okay bear) world.

[Edit] It might be worth the S&P500 effort just to shut them up for 15 minutes...

Last edited:
will be interesting to see if it can hold up above 500 today. or if it sustains or runs

we lost 10m jobs so far, probably more in reality. will we lose 20 more, 10 more? over the next two months as this (state imposed limits) spreads/saturates the rest of country

and if so, how many of those jobs, or reduced family income..impact tesla demand/sales. one can say most of the jobs are lost by people who aren’t buying a tesla. let’s not forget tesla is tiny fraction of all auto sales, new/used
if this goes on through july, say...
they aspired to sell 500k cars this year, what if they sold 300k?

q1 - 88k
q2 - 50k
q3 - 60k
q4 - 102k

to me, that ‘seems’ priced in, compared to the stock being at 700-900 although we know it doesn’t work that way

also consider the battery improvements and what they may manifest into

besides paint, that was THE bottleneck. the same amt of batteries go a longer way, which may provide more insulation financially from a shock to the sales pipeline.

if they remain flat YoY that’s a huge victory in the face of this. if they go down 16% (300k instead of 360k) that may end up being inline with other autos.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h and hobbes
they aspired to sell 500k cars this year, what if they sold 300k?

q1 - 88k
q2 - 50k
q3 - 60k
q4 - 102k

to me, that ‘seems’ priced in, compared to the stock being at 700-900 although we know it doesn’t work that way
From what we've been seeing from Musk and other - the broader market expects bad Q2 - but "back to normal" rest of the year. Atleast production-wise. But most of the experts say we can't rule out second wave after reopening nor a comeback in fall. So, we may get something like

q1 - 88k
q2 - 75k
q3 - 90k
q4 - 75k

Assuming 3k/wk cars made in GF3. OTOH, if we see a second wave that affects GF3, we'll see lower numbers.

I am expecting Q2 to be worse than Q1. We don´t have an idea for how long Fremont and GF Nevada will be down, do we? Do you really expect they have a chance to be profitable in Q2?

Reactions: saniflash
I am expecting Q2 to be worse than Q1. We don´t have an idea for how long Fremont and GF Nevada will be down, do we? Do you really expect they have a chance to be profitable in Q2?

There are two different aspects to this question and they seem to be getting mixed together. Originally the discussion was around sales and then it switched to how long Fremont/GF1 will be closed which is essentially related to production.

Tesla have just demonstrated that they can make over 100k cars a quarter even when they lose 3 weeks of production. As both average weekly Y production in Fremont and 3 production in GF3 will be higher in Q2 vs Q1 due to ramp up, hitting 100k cars in 10 weeks of production should not be difficult for them.

As Tesla have also demonstrated their ability to deliver vehicles to customers that have bought them it looks as if sales will most likely be limited by demand, rather than how long Fremont and GF1 are closed unless we approach 6-8 weeks of closure in Q2.

Once we have the Q1 ER we will have a much better idea of:
  • the potential length of the closure
  • the impact of the FCA agreement on credit income
  • how close Q1 was to being profitable
  • the likelihood of additional FSD features being released and hence deferred income being recognised in Q2
Clearly things are not going to be as good as they would have been without CV but perhaps things will not be that negative.