Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trips, was this quote for a Model S/X or 3? Just trying to get a better idea. Also, what is paint correction?

That was for a 3 but they are familiar with all four kinds of Tesla's. That was a selling point for me when they were familiar with the car and knew exactly what they needed. They also were not trying to sell me on getting the full car wrapped.

For the Paint Correction, all cars will have small scrapes and swirls in the paint. This is true of even million dollar cars that have paint. They will go through and smooth these out so it looks like glass. It gives you a perfect surface to start with no matter what you are having done to the car.

I'm waiting for my papers from FedEx as I type... I'm thinking roughly in the $4000 range for myself, although obviously a trade in is going to impact that number. I didn't trade anything in against my $51,000 purchase.

How much should be budgeted to register a model 3 in Nebraska?

I will use Stargazer's $51k (Why no EAP?). I could be off a little bit this should be close.

One time Sales tax:
Nebraska $2,805 ($51k * .055)
Omaha $765 ($51k * .015) <- if you live in the county or a SID you will not have this.

Yearly
Motor Vehicle fee: $900 (They have a chart that goes down each year)
EV tax: $75
Registration Fees: $23.80
Omaha Wheel Tax: $50

Optional:
No Front Plate: $100/year
Personalized Plates: $5 -75/year

Total: $4,618.80 to $4,793.80

We should know more on the Douglas County credit in a few weeks.

• Helpful
Reactions: HyperionMark
I will use Stargazer's $51k (Why no EAP?). I could be off a little bit this should be close.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on registration numbers. I've thought about EAP/Self Driving and I spend most of my time on the west side of town off freeways. I feel like the features would be cool, but a waste for the driving that I do. I hear it's dicey on roads without a divider and with pot holes how they are even less chance of me using it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on registration numbers. I've thought about EAP/Self Driving and I spend most of my time on the west side of town off freeways. I feel like the features would be cool, but a waste for the driving that I do. I hear it's dicey on roads without a divider and with pot holes how they are even less chance of me using it.
Yep, and you can obviously add it later on, which brings up a question: If you pay for the EAP and/or self driving upfront, do you have to pay sales tax and registration on that higher purchase price? If so, it makes the after purchase upgrade not truly $1k extra.

I almost wonder if the motor vehicle fee is fixed for a given model ? DMV has an estimator and it's setting a fee consistent with a $35,000 MSRP ($580), not based on my purchase price. If you think about it, it would be nearly impossible for the DMV to maintain tables with every permutation of option available. Could an AWD performance model end up with the same fee as a base model? Obviously sales taxes are another story.

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles - Vehicle Tax Estimator

BTW, I have no interest in EAP, particularly at $5000. The Model 3 is absolutely a drivers car. While I understand those who like EAP have their reasons, I'd rather spend the money on other upgrades which continue to improve the cars performance. The long range/premium upgrades were already a stretch for me financially, I'm usually buying second hand, most expensive car I've purchased to this point was a mere $30k. I relented on waiting for a base model as I realized there'd likely be no $7500 tax credit and I'd be waiting that much longer.

Last edited:
I almost wonder if the motor vehicle fee is fixed for a given model ? DMV has an estimator and it's setting a fee consistent with a $35,000 MSRP ($580), not based on my purchase price. If you think about it, it would be nearly impossible for the DMV to maintain tables with every permutation of option available. Could an AWD performance model end up with the same fee as a base model? Obviously sales taxes are another story.

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles - Vehicle Tax Estimator

BTW, I have no interest in EAP, particularly at $5000. The Model 3 is absolutely a drivers car. While I understand those who like EAP have their reasons, I'd rather spend the money on other upgrades which continue to improve the cars performance. The long range/premium upgrades were already a stretch for me financially, I'm usually buying second hand, most expensive car I've purchased to this point was a mere $30k. I relented on waiting for a base model as I realized there'd likely be no $7500 tax credit and I'd be waiting that much longer.
I agree with your sentiment on EAP as I too have never purchased above a $30k car. I assume basic AP still works without purchasing EAP?

I agree with your sentiment on EAP as I too have never purchased above a $30k car. I assume basic AP still works without purchasing EAP?

Without EAP you will only have basic cruise control and emergency braking. With the EAP you get or in the future will get the lane keep, speed match, auto lane change, self-parking and summons. I noticed on highway 370 by Gretna that the max speed for Auto Pilot was only 40 in the 55mph zone. I guess we will need to drive that road a few more times for Tesla to up the limit.

My first non-supercharger public charging stop (Nebraska Crossing). Yeah, it's a bit of a hike in... but free is free.

charger.jpg

Stargazer, keep us posted (if you don't mind) about the DMV fee. I was thinking the same thing too about the MSRP impacting that.

In other related news, I contacted my insurance to have them run some theoretical numbers and was surprised that the cost wasn't going to increase that much because they have the MSRP as the base $35,000. (Obviously final numbers could be different...but they said it helps that the car has a low base MSRP).

Thanks - I have an affinity for Blue and the 3's deep blue is beautiful (@bandwagon on instagram). I tried to keep the price down and stuck with the 18's (have removed the aero covers) and no EAP (short commute, no traffic).

Jeff Davis (@bandwagon) • Instagram photos and videos

I was worried that the 3 would be cheap compared to the S/X, but it's on par with them and comparable cars. You can obviously tell where they cut corners or changed things to cut costs, but it also represents a different way of thinking (i.e. the iPad display). I'm pleasantly surprised.

Supposedly a few local banks are supposed to offer low interest loans (<5%) for EV vehicles, but I actually went through an online lender that I've had good experiences with in the past. LightStream does everything online and is essentially treated as an 'unsecured' loan (i.e. you get the title and their is no lien on the vehicle) - rates have gone up but I'm still at 3.69% for the Tesla.

There was an article in the World Herald today about the OPPD and NCEA grants. Still no details on how to apply but it sounds like they have enough for about 50 people in Douglas County to get a $4000 grant, first come, first served.
Here’s a link to the article.
Would $4,000 be enough to get you to buy an electric car? Program aims to find out

Would $4,000 be enough to get you to buy an electric car? Program aims to find out

(Via Omaha.com)

There was an article in the World Herald today about the OPPD and NCEA grants. Still no details on how to apply but it sounds like they have enough for about 50 people in Douglas County to get a $4000 grant, first come, first served.
Here’s a link to the article.

(Via Omaha.com)
Bummer....50 will go quite quick I would think. My reservation won't be available until late this year at the earliest.

That was my initial reaction too, that 50 would go quickly, however apparently according to OPPD research we only have 600 EVs in our state? And that spans almost 8 years of EVs being "relatively" available. (So, 75+ sales a year averaged?) So yes, maybe it might entice a few more people, but I'm trying to stay hopeful that it'll be there when my 3 rolls off the line. *Fingers crossed*

That being said, I saw an X and a 3 on my way to work today. So adoption is definitely picking up!