Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did everyone's Model 3's handle the snow today? Just curious to hear other experiences. I was happy in mine, there was one part where I definitely started to lose control for a second, but it recovered okay. I have an AWD...and I was glad I had one today. :cool:

My AWD Model 3 was really good on the icy/snowy roads even when I tried to get it sideways. I did put the regen on low.

I must have had a sensor in front icing over a little. It was showing the distance until you hit something at zero. I have no clue why a little snow and ice would cause that. If it happens again I will turn off the reduced power when obstacle detected option.

Reactions: tommyboy21
The snow profile is a really good idea.

One bit of advice. If you are planning on keeping your vehicle for life of two tires you should really consider getting some winter tires. My personal experience is that winter tires are far superior to all season tires on snow and ice. I feel like I am safe and stress free at about 20-25% faster than I could drive without them. Testing agencies also say they perform better whenever the temperature is below 45 even on dry.

A little bit of upfront costs plus a hassle of changing them in early winter and spring. But the plus side is you were going to buy a second pair of tires eventually and now you stop and turn much better when you really need to. Road noise is a bit higher and I would assume efficiency will go down a bit as well.

[QUOTE="Wannabeskibum, post: 3192708, member: 87316"One bit of advice. If you are planning on keeping your vehicle for life of two tires you should really consider getting some winter tires. My personal experience is that winter tires are far superior to all season tires on snow and ice. I feel like I am safe and stress free at about 20-25% faster than I could drive without them. Testing agencies also say they perform better whenever the temperature is below 45 even on dry.

A little bit of upfront costs plus a hassle of changing them in early winter and spring. But the plus side is you were going to buy a second pair of tires eventually and now you stop and turn much better when you really need to. Road noise is a bit higher and I would assume efficiency will go down a bit as well.[/QUOTE]

Ideally mounted on two sets of wheels using the smaller wheel size for your particular type of Tesla.

Rolling resistance depends on what tires you are comparing. The best winter tires (e.g. Michelin X-Ice or Nokian R3) have very low rolling resistance. One the qualities of the best winter tires is that the belts are very flexible which allows them to conform to irregular surfaces so that more of the tread is in contact with the road surface. Flexible belts reduce rolling resistance.

My experience has been that all-season tires, such as the ones that come OE, are just barely adequate for winter when new, and not at all when worn a bit. If you stay home the day of the storm and until they get the streets cleaned up or live where "winter" is a couple of weeks, there are severe service all-seasons (e.g. Nokian WR-G4) that are as good as all but the best snow tires and don't die in in warm or even hot weather. In Nebraska, where there is a real winter, get four of the best snow tires and mount them on another set of wheels. Makes it easier to change and reduces the chance of damaging the tires during dismounting and remounting.

Rolling resistance depends on what tires you are comparing. The best winter tires (e.g. Michelin X-Ice or Nokian R3) have very low rolling resistance. One the qualities of the best winter tires is that the belts are very flexible which allows them to conform to irregular surfaces so that more of the tread is in contact with the road surface. Flexible belts reduce rolling resistance.
This seems counter-intuitive. Do you have a source or reference you could give us?

This seems counter-intuitive. Do you have a source or reference you could give us?
The sources I have are considered proprietary information. Sorry. But what you don't want in winter is a stiff tread area because once the snow is plowed, you have some compacted snow and some pavement, so there are a lot of irregularities. A stiff tread area will have a lot of tread "in the air" rather than contacting the surface. The tires rolling resistance comes from the tread compound (compression and rebound) and bending the belts and tread as the tire moves in and out of the contact patch area. The more flexible the belts are, the less rolling resistance they have.

The sources I have are considered proprietary information. Sorry. But what you don't want in winter is a stiff tread area because once the snow is plowed, you have some compacted snow and some pavement, so there are a lot of irregularities. A stiff tread area will have a lot of tread "in the air" rather than contacting the surface. The tires rolling resistance comes from the tread compound (compression and rebound) and bending the belts and tread as the tire moves in and out of the contact patch area. The more flexible the belts are, the less rolling resistance they have.
If that were true, wouldn't less tire pressure mean you get better efficiency then? I've found in every vehicle I've ever owned that more tire pressure equates to better efficiency.
This link would seem to disagree with what you say as well: What You Need To Know About Low-Rolling-Resistance Tires | Edmunds
Now from a traction standpoint you definitely want more contact with the ground.

If that were true, wouldn't less tire pressure mean you get better efficiency then? I've found in every vehicle I've ever owned that more tire pressure equates to better efficiency.
This link would seem to disagree with what you say as well: What You Need To Know About Low-Rolling-Resistance Tires | Edmunds
Now from a traction standpoint you definitely want more contact with the ground.

No, because the bending is greater. In any given tire, higher pressure reduces the bending, but this is comparing two types of tires--not the same thing.

No, because the bending is greater. In any given tire, higher pressure reduces the bending, but this is comparing two types of tires--not the same thing.
Still don't understand. So in a winter tire you want lots of bending and more contact with the road and that somehow increases efficiency? But you don't want any bending on a regular LRR, because that would lower efficiency? I'm plenty educated in science and can't find a way to justify this argument.

In any case it is going to be cold outside so you probably wont' be breaking any single charge range records.

In my other cars I feel like I have noticed a slight dip in fuel economy but the wind is usually stronger in the winter and whenever I had my ski box on top the fuel economy tanked anyways.

Safety, increased travel speed and the feeling of being a Norse god in the snow while explorers are in the ditch are the reasons in my mind to get winter tires.

**small disclaimer** I am not going to get snow tires for our Model 3 since we have a new set for our other car and that is what we use on winter trips. I am very curious on peoples experiences with them though with the Model 3. I hope my other car is going to be my last ICE, but it all depends on improvements in range and if I can sleep across Nebraska at night.

Still don't understand. So in a winter tire you want lots of bending and more contact with the road and that somehow increases efficiency? But you don't want any bending on a regular LRR, because that would lower efficiency? I'm plenty educated in science and can't find a way to justify this argument.
LRR tires' belts bend more easily than non-LRR tires. The tread compound has a lot to do with it as well. To reduce rolling resistance, the tread compound should ideally recover all the energy that it takes to compress and bend it (never happens in practice). The belts should have as little resistance to flexing as possible. The sidewall in a radial tire is pretty much a non-issue for rolling resistance. If you were to remove the tread and belts from the tire and have just the casing ply(ies) you'd see there is almost no resistance to flexing.

Welcome - the wait is the most difficult part.

You might check with @HyperionMark about an electrician - he’s had a couple good referrals. Otherwise, I have a couple possible connections

Good luck with registration, not sure if they’ve sorted out the MSRP for the AWD yet - and would be curious to see if they even have anything for the LEMR

The forums are good here, but you might also check the Omaha Tesla group on FB

Welcome - the wait is the most difficult part.

You might check with @HyperionMark about an electrician - he’s had a couple good referrals. Otherwise, I have a couple possible connections

Good luck with registration, not sure if they’ve sorted out the MSRP for the AWD yet - and would be curious to see if they even have anything for the LEMR

The forums are good here, but you might also check the Omaha Tesla group on FB

Thank you so much for your message.
I want to prepare for the delivery
What are the items I expect when they deliver, I read somewhere they give Stricker, is this the temporary registration
Do I have to wait to get registration until I get Fedex package from tesla
I live in Elkhorn where is the best place to register the car.
Also which insurance carrier is better for tesla
Maybe we have to create some word document for the future tesla owners
Thank you so much for the help

Thank you so much for your message.
I want to prepare for the delivery
What are the items I expect when they deliver, I read somewhere they give Stricker, is this the temporary registration
Do I have to wait to get registration until I get Fedex package from tesla
I live in Elkhorn where is the best place to register the car.
Also which insurance carrier is better for tesla
Maybe we have to create some word document for the future tesla owners
Thank you so much for the help

Welcome to the Family!

Are you picking up in KC? or Home Delivery?
- If picking up in KC your Delivery advisor will email you a link to sign your MVPA ( Purchase Agreement). All other paperwork will be FedEx'd to you 7-10 business days after delivery.

- We've not really discussed insurance as a group here, I pay about 170/mo through State Farm.

- I've had good luck getting in/out of the 108th & maple treasurers office (I believe quite a few of us have)

-Mark does have an electrician with a good track record, I ended up using Dennis Electric since we needed a whole house rewire. Dennis is a great guy and did fantastic work

I agree about creating documentation for future owners. We will be working on setting up an official "Nebraska Tesla Owners Club" soon If you'd like to be a part of that process.

Also, did you use a referral code for 6 mo. free supercharging? If not I'd be happy to DM you mine.

Again, welcome to the family... you will absolutely ADORE your model 3.

Reactions: bandwagon