Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice Model S 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered a model S (yet to built inventory car) (blue exterior white interior with EAP and Premium package). Only reason I m getting Premium package is for the UHFS. I live in northern alabama and heated steering, heated rear seats is something I can live with. But now there are about inventory cars with blue exterior and cream interior without PUP that caught my eye. All cars do not have transportation charge for my location. So my question is spending extra $5k is really worth it for PUP? Is there any other mods I can do to improve sounds (such as installing NVX boost sub and light harmonic speakers)? I couldn't find any experiance installer with teslas for NVX in Alabama or Massachusetts that kind of worries me giving my brand new car to a audio shop so they can remove panels and install the sound system what if something goes wrong and what if panels starts to vibrate? What are your recommendations and any experienced installers that I can get recommended in north east or alabama area?

Personally, I would spend the $$ and get the PUP if you like it. Like you said, probably no expert Tesla installers outside of CA. Every time I look at installing audio upgrades, I cringe at how much needs taken apart and wish I had bought it in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

I can't help with installer recommendations in Alabama but it's certainly not true that you have to be in California to do business with installers that have Tesla experience. I'm sure you could find someone in the Boston area that does good work.
The standard MS audio system gets plenty of negative reviews on this site but you may want to give it a long tryout before determining that it's not good enough for you. If you then want a better system you can certainly get a very good one for much less than $5K.

I can't help with installer recommendations in Alabama but it's certainly not true that you have to be in California to do business with installers that have Tesla experience. I'm sure you could find someone in the Boston area that does good work.
The standard MS audio system gets plenty of negative reviews on this site but you may want to give it a long tryout before determining that it's not good enough for you. If you then want a better system you can certainly get a very good one for much less than $5K.

In fairness, the UHFS also gets plenty of negative reviews here, with many saying it doesn’t really improve anything over standard.

I've driven both standard and upgraded systems back to back just today. The biggest difference in my opinion is in the bass department. Mostly at higher volumes. The Dolby Surround is ok, but I usually turn it off. Even the upgraded system is not the best around, but it's noticeably better than the standard (especially if you listen to music like @buttershrimp) . Yes, you can put thousands into an aftermarket system, but I would be wary of any warranty issues that may arise later. I know all about the magnuson moss warranty act, but would still rather not have the battle if possible. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Sound system is such a personal decision! I wouldn’t trust anyone’s opinion (including mine). Instead, go to a SC, and get a test-drive with and without the PUP. Bring some of your favorite music on a flash drive and decide what you like.

Do not listen to the music in the floor Model: it will have windows locked open and the volume level capped. Go for a test-drive instead.

My personal decision was to go with the Standard audio and to do a 3-d party upgrade down the road if needed. So far I am happy with my choice. My impression was that the UHFS system had deeper bass, but sounded somewhat boomy, the sound appeared somewhat distorted. And personally, I’d rather have a reduced frequency range but no distortion. This of course largely depends on the type of music you listen to. Just my 2 cents.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
You do realize that the distance between Alabama and Boston is like the distance between Seattle and Tijuana, right?

It looks like I m leaning towards with the one with UHFS. Its 5k more but added benefit of not having to worry about warranty issues is a plus
I got my cars with the UHFS. However, I discovered something interesting with regard to auditioning the standard and premium systems. When the systems were new, it was difficult to hear a big difference between the two systems. However, as the systems were used, it seems like the speakers “relaxed” a bit and, as a result, the sound quality improved! Thinking back to an older Lexus I had some speakers replaced on, the installer mentioned that he left the system on for a couple of hours before I picked the car up so the sound would be better. I’m not sure if there is anything to this. But, I know what I have experienced with the MX we just purchased. I would like to suggest that if you have a chance to compare standard and UHFS systems, try to get a car that’s been around for a couple of months. I think you’ll be very impressed with the quality of sound the UHFS produces.

I got my cars with the UHFS. However, I discovered something interesting with regard to auditioning the standard and premium systems. When the systems were new, it was difficult to hear a big difference between the two systems. However, as the systems were used, it seems like the speakers “relaxed” a bit and, as a result, the sound quality improved! Thinking back to an older Lexus I had some speakers replaced on, the installer mentioned that he left the system on for a couple of hours before I picked the car up so the sound would be better. I’m not sure if there is anything to this. But, I know what I have experienced with the MX we just purchased. I would like to suggest that if you have a chance to compare standard and UHFS systems, try to get a car that’s been around for a couple of months. I think you’ll be very impressed with the quality of sound the UHFS produces.
More I listens to it more I started to like the system. I currently have the Mark Levinson system on my Lexus GS but at higher volumes its starts to distort it. I didnt see that from UHFS system.

I got my cars with the UHFS. However, I discovered something interesting with regard to auditioning the standard and premium systems. When the systems were new, it was difficult to hear a big difference between the two systems. However, as the systems were used, it seems like the speakers “relaxed” a bit and, as a result, the sound quality improved!
Most of the new speakers have a "break in" period. So it is natural that the sound system will perform better after that.

Speakers definitely break in over a short period of time. As an audio guy, I've also noticed that a sound system will improve in sound as it warms up. When doing shows at work, I'll usually warm the system up for a few minutes with some of my favorite songs.

Reactions: Gt1948
PUP is absolutely not worth it at $5K.

Not when you can get Bioweapon Defense Mode for about $200 (there is a thread about how someone installed the hepa filter themselves and got the service center to add the button.)

The car heats up real quick compared to a gas car, so having the rear heaters doesn't seem worth it either. I've heard of the window heater barely functions properly. I'm in Chicago and we are getting some cold weather now and the standard front heated seats does it for me. Can't say I "miss" or "need" heated steering wheel, I'm sure it's nice though.

Standard audio sounds better than any other standard gas car I've owned. I plan on upgrading the system with light harmonic + the light harmonic sub.

If PUP was say $2-3. I say sure. At $5K though? No. You could use part of the money to get a clear bra on the car. Much much more useful than PUP. I can attest to that as my car is wrapped in XPEL and boy I have ZERO regrets doing that.