Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need iPhone Case that Fits on Charging Dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone 6s is too thick to fit in the dock in my new S and I really want to keep the case on because I have really bad luck dropping my phone. Also, I looked into a dock extender for the charger, but heard they are pretty flimsy from the Amazon reviews. Can anyone send me a link to a case that works and makes a connection to the dock AND protects their phone?

00316_-_MSR_premium_center_console_frame_4_console_open_w_phone_22c83f3f-8c46-4829-830f-396722add969_large.png

Tesla photo here...not mine

My iPhone 6s is too thick to fit in the dock in my new S and I really want to keep the case on because I have really bad luck dropping my phone. Also, I looked into a dock extender for the charger, but heard they are pretty flimsy from the Amazon reviews. Can anyone send me a link to a case that works and makes a connection to the dock AND protects their phone?

00316_-_MSR_premium_center_console_frame_4_console_open_w_phone_22c83f3f-8c46-4829-830f-396722add969_large.png

Tesla photo here...not mine
Have you tried the Apple leather case for the iPhone 6? It's really thin.

Reactions: Gt1948
i use this one: https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-6s-Cl...d=1475035556&sr=8-1&keywords=luvvitt+iphone+6

we have both a 6 and 6 plus with this case, and we drop our phones a lot. our kids drop our phones a lot. it's remarkably protective of the edges and back. i added an edge to edge glass cover for the front which fits in the case as well. our phones are 2 years old and no screen or edge damage with these cases.

in any case, the dock connector is still a little too low/shallow for this case, so i followed some instructions on this forum to raise it ever so slightly with a toothpick. it works, and is not too difficult! Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

FWIW, the Apple Leather cases are actually exceptionally sturdy. I dropped the hell out of mine when I was driving a lot more - getting in to and out of cars is usually when my phone'd hit the floor - and it protected it from pretty much everything. The leather got wore to hell (but tbh, I like the look).

Alternatively, look at Pad and Quill's Woodline case - it's crazy thin and extremely protective of everything but the screen. (And given that Applecare now does $29 screen replacements, it's a good combo.)

The dock is somewhat adjustable, if you fiddle with it.

Mine didn't charge the phone at all, so I went to take it out, but as I was doing that I discovered the adjustments. So I fiddled with it and put it back, and now it works fine with the thin 'lens mount' type case I have on the phone.

The sides are a little tight but it slides in with both mounted, too.

I didn't take pictures, but there are three screws involved - a pair from the top that holds the plug assembly in on long slots, which adjust how far from the surface the plug is, and if you remove the assembly, one on the bottom that holds the plug in, with a couple options for how far up the plug rests.

Shifting it to the taller option enabled my phone to charge.

Here's the case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDYQQ36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Or.6xbFV9H3ER

I am hoping someone swapped out their original phone charging mat for a wireless one and kept the original. I have a 6s iPhone, which does not have inductive charging capabilities. I just purchased a 2018 Model 3 and the owner had installed an inductive/wireless charger. I was able to take that charger out but I need the mat to place the phone on. Does anyone have one I could buy or another solution? I have not been able to find one anywhere except a couple of beat up used mats on EBay. Thank you!