TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Need iPhone Case that Fits on Charging Dock

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SharonB, Sep 27, 2016.

1. SharonB

SharonB Member

My iPhone 6s is too thick to fit in the dock in my new S and I really want to keep the case on because I have really bad luck dropping my phone. Also, I looked into a dock extender for the charger, but heard they are pretty flimsy from the Amazon reviews. Can anyone send me a link to a case that works and makes a connection to the dock AND protects their phone?

[​IMG]
    Tesla photo here...not mine

2. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Have you tried the Apple leather case for the iPhone 6? It's really thin.

3. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

I just use the apple leather case and then removed one of the dock guides. Works pretty well but sometimes it's still a little annoying to get it lined up on the connector...

Chris

• Like x 1
  4. SharonB

SharonB Member

You know, I don't think leather is going to really protect my iPhone from a fall. That's what I'm aiming for here.

5. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

I used the leather case on the 6 but I used the guides for the plus phones. That gives you some extra wiggle room. You may find some thin cases that give you more protection that fit w/ the wider guides.

6. wamochi

wamochi Member

i use this one: https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-6s-ClearView-Resistant-Absorbing/dp/B00N53M44O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475035556&sr=8-1&keywords=luvvitt+iphone+6

we have both a 6 and 6 plus with this case, and we drop our phones a lot. our kids drop our phones a lot. it's remarkably protective of the edges and back. i added an edge to edge glass cover for the front which fits in the case as well. our phones are 2 years old and no screen or edge damage with these cases.

in any case, the dock connector is still a little too low/shallow for this case, so i followed some instructions on this forum to raise it ever so slightly with a toothpick. it works, and is not too difficult! Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

• Informative x 1
  7. alexvirital

alexvirital Member

FWIW, the Apple Leather cases are actually exceptionally sturdy. I dropped the hell out of mine when I was driving a lot more - getting in to and out of cars is usually when my phone'd hit the floor - and it protected it from pretty much everything. The leather got wore to hell (but tbh, I like the look).

Alternatively, look at Pad and Quill's Woodline case - it's crazy thin and extremely protective of everything but the screen. (And given that Applecare now does $29 screen replacements, it's a good combo.)

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The dock is somewhat adjustable, if you fiddle with it.

Mine didn't charge the phone at all, so I went to take it out, but as I was doing that I discovered the adjustments. So I fiddled with it and put it back, and now it works fine with the thin 'lens mount' type case I have on the phone.

The sides are a little tight but it slides in with both mounted, too.

I didn't take pictures, but there are three screws involved - a pair from the top that holds the plug assembly in on long slots, which adjust how far from the surface the plug is, and if you remove the assembly, one on the bottom that holds the plug in, with a couple options for how far up the plug rests.

Shifting it to the taller option enabled my phone to charge.

Here's the case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDYQQ36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Or.6xbFV9H3ER

9. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

10. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

Oops, never mind. I canceled the order after finished installing the dock and the sides of the dock are too close together with the case on the phone. So it's not just a problem with the lightning connector being too short, which is what this item would have solved.

11. Sugacookie

Sugacookie Member

Stick a tooth pick behind the cable. It pushed the connector out far enough to work with my case. There is a video on YouTube showing the steps.

12. mhw23

mhw23 Member

My 7 Plus with the official Apple leather case will not fit the dock with the thinner guides installed. I would like to use the guides if possible.....

13. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

I just changed the design of the stock insert and printed new inserts that accommodated the Apple leather case.

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  14. alexvirital

alexvirital Member

Holy poop. That looks great! Can I give you dollars for some of those?

15. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

I sent you a message.

16. mhw23

mhw23 Member

Jelloslug - I'll also pay for guides that can fit iPhone 7 plus with Apple leather case. Thanks!

17. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

jelloslug - agreed. I'd gladly pay for a set for the 7 Plus w/apple leather case as well.

Thanks,

Chris