Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Solid Tips on Removing CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this new FastTrak Flex Tool Tag with a three positions switch.

- I wonder how this can be monitored?

Does a CHP officer has a way to connect remotely to your device to check which position the switch is set to?

At a tool gate, what could be the use of taking a front picture if the two passengers are seating on the back?

Anyway, could a Fastrack transponder could be used instead of stickers
to handle this complicated and constantly changing CA Carpool Stickers list.
flexTagDiagram.jpg
The FasTrak might eventually work in cities where tolls are recorded, but most HOV lanes don't have the transponder detectors.

(BTW, ham here, too! KI6SGE)

Ok all, final vote. Creamy Peanut Butter method or GooGone?

I'm torn because the peanut butter method seems less harsh (somehow) but there is science behind this. I'm more concerned that the GooGone will alter the clear coat somehow too.

GooGone seems to have more votes though and no one says it wrecks the paint. Plus I have Creamy Peanut Butter in the house.

I’m joking, but kinda serious. Why in the heck does CA have such a silly law that requires these HOV stickers on EVs? Can the cops not tell that a car is an EV?

This is like putting a sticker on your goat, identifying it as a goat, so it can run around in the dog park. o_O

Goat bit was funny. :)

As others have mentioned, there really is no way to educate the CHP on all the new EVs that are rolling out these days... especially when they're basically conversions of gas vehicles that look so similar. There are a LOT of EVs on the road now. And while those of us Tesla owners can spot another Tesla from a mile away, it's a big ask for law enforcement to make that call on the fly. How about the Honda that comes in Fuel Cell, hybrid and electric? Yikes. I do think that license plates should have a unique emblem for each fuel type though. Seems that would solve most of this muck. I guess the HOV sticker business will all be over soon... I agree that four decals is plain nuts.

Meantime, I can't believe that there are detail shops out there that won't (or haven't??) removed decals from paint. This isn't Tesla-specific. This isn't HOV decal-specific. I've taken off countless decals including HOV stickers (20 years driving EVs!). Heat, WD-40 and patience is the answer in every case. The HOV decals ARE more of a pain than your basic bumper sticker... but still. Nothing that can't be done at home.

Reactions: bmah
Meantime, I can't believe that there are detail shops out there that won't (or haven't??) removed decals from paint. This isn't Tesla-specific. This isn't HOV decal-specific. I've taken off countless decals including HOV stickers (20 years driving EVs!). Heat, WD-40 and patience is the answer in every case. The HOV decals ARE more of a pain than your basic bumper sticker... but still. Nothing that can't be done at home.

This whole thread is totally a flashback to my Prius days (yellow sticker set #288, ordered before they were officially available). However I was lazy and never bothered to take them off, so when I replaced my Prius with a Model S, it still had its HOV stickers on it. But I remember reading a bunch of posts on the Prius-2G mailing list about hair dryers, Goo Gone, etc. (don't remember anybody trying peanut butter though). Maybe this will be my New Years Day project...

Bruce.

This whole thread is totally a flashback to my Prius days (yellow sticker set #288, ordered before they were officially available). However I was lazy and never bothered to take them off, so when I replaced my Prius with a Model S, it still had its HOV stickers on it. But I remember reading a bunch of posts on the Prius-2G mailing list about hair dryers, Goo Gone, etc. (don't remember anybody trying peanut butter though). Maybe this will be my New Years Day project...

Bruce.
Ha! I've heard about people like you who leave them on a decade after they expire. :) mine came off the Prius the day they were of no more use...

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
Ok all, final vote. Creamy Peanut Butter method or GooGone?

I'm torn because the peanut butter method seems less harsh (somehow) but there is science behind this. I'm more concerned that the GooGone will alter the clear coat somehow too.

GooGone seems to have more votes though and no one says it wrecks the paint. Plus I have Creamy Peanut Butter in the house.
Do us all a favor and try both and let us know which works better

Here is what I posted over at the Tesla Forum. The heat of the sun and no scraper was the goal. If your sticker is on shiny black plastic, take extra care as the suggested Scott towel is slightly abrasive when I tested it on other soft plastic non-Tesla surfaces. However, the Goo Gone and a microfiber towel had some abrasive result as well during the test. After a final water and soap wash, dry with a new microfiber towel.

I was able to remove the CAV HOV white sticker VOID debris from the 2017 Model S by using “Goo Gone Goo & Adhesive Remover Spray Gel“ after letting the sticker warm up in the sun for physical removal. Read the instructions that Goo Gone provides.

Goo Gone Goo & Adhesive Remover Spray Gel

I suggest washing the vehicle where the stickers are located before removal as you would when washing the car with a hose and a soapy wash mitt. Dry lightly with a clean microfiber cloth. The surrounding paint or plastic area must be clean to avoid scratching the paint. When the sticker area is warm, carefully raise one corner of the sticker without scratching the paint. Now gradually lift the sticker off the surface. If the sticker area is cold, then more VOID or pure white adhesive will remain on the vehicle. Don’t be concerned, the Goo Gone will remove the remaining debris.

Park in the driveway and place disposable plastic under the work area to catch the drips from the Goo Gone gel. Using “Scott Glass Shop Towels” worked well as they kept the sticker VOIDs moist and allowed lightly rubbing off the adhesive and VOID debris without scratching the paint. (Using a new microfiber towel is slower on removing the VOIDs as some rubbing is required.) Do not use any scraper, only the Scott Glass paper towel. Keep the area moist with Goo Gone, never rub the surface with a dry paper towel. Take your time as the Goo Gone and light physical cleaning will gradually remove the remaining adhesive and VOID debris. Use a clean side of the Scott Glass paper towel or a new one as needed. The VOID words can be felt as the “Scott Glass Shop Towel” is moved over the surface. Once the surface is clean, remove the disposable plastic drip material you placed under the work area and wash the paint with running water and a soapy wash mitt as you did earlier. Dry lightly with a clean microfiber cloth.

http://www.scottcarcare.com/scottshoptowels-products/scottshoptowels-gla...

While the paint looks great, removing one small sticker on the shiny black plastic had a few scratches from earlier attempts with other techniques. Nu Finish to the rescue: Car Scratch Remover | Nu Finish

The four new red stickers will be applied to the painted areas since the MS is red. Will Tesla offer a purple color in the future to match the 2019 sticker? Maybe the paint wrap companies can supply that choice if desired.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TacC and djlott
Thanks to everyone who provided tips up-thread. I got my stickers off yesterday...I think I was done in (more or less) an hour. Heating up the sticker before peeling off helped a lot...I used a hair dryer to carefully heat the area just in front of where I was peeling and there was only a little bit of "VOID" residue left after peeling. I started from the top-right corner because that acute angle gave me a better grip. No tools necessary other than my fingernails. Goo Gone works great on the adhesive residue...as some people said be sure to use plenty of it and keep the area moistened while you're working. Goo Gone in turn leaves a slightly oily residue that you want to wash off when you're done (soap and water works well for this).

Bruce.

PS. I thought of the peanut butter thing but it was kinda cold in the garage yesterday and I just wanted to get this done so I could go back inside.

Ha! I've heard about people like you who leave them on a decade after they expire. :) mine came off the Prius the day they were of no more use...
On that topic, since they're cycling the sticker colors, they may be smart enough to go back to white a few years hence, so that all of us with white stickers and no motivation to remove them can leverage the benefits.

I used a little bit of goo gone to soften the stickers, scraped the VOID’s off with my finger nail, and wiped everything off again with goo gone. Worked perfectly, took about 1/2 hour to get all 3 stickers off cleanly.

Put the red sticker on PPF and stuck that on the car so I don’t have to deal with that in 2022.

Well, I tried the peanut butter thing today, but I couldn't get it to work. If it wasn't a real method, then I fell for the gag. Ended up going to Home Depot to buy the spray on Goo-Gone which worked very well. HOV stickers now gone.

Thanks for all the tips. I have a 2017 MS 75D with white stickers that expired on 1/1/19. I applied for the new stickers in Dec and was expecting to get new red stickers that expire 1/1/22. I just received my new ones yesterday and they are purple and expire 1/1/23. One year bonus!! Only problem is they are going to look hideous on my red car. Ugh!

Where is the best place to buy PPF? I'm thinking of going that route after I remove the old white ones.