Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help with Wall Charger Provisioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrician just installed my 240v and a Tesla Wall Connector. Now I have to set it up with my iphone. I've followed the instructions, and the videos I've found in Youtube, and scanned the QR Code. I've entered the password and connected. I then put the IP address in my phones's Safari and I only get an incomplete page shown. It shows the Serial Number and the Part Number in the top quarter of the page, with a spinning circle just below those, unable to load the rest of the page.

The Green light on the Wall Connector is softly blinking green, which I believe is what it should be doing.

Note on my iphone's WiFi screenshot, that under the Telsa SSID it says "No Internet Connection."

Can anyone please help me figure this out?

Tesla Wall Connector.jpgWiFi page.png

Best suggestion is to call Tesla for support. The process is quite finicky on the Gen 3 and they were terrific at walking me through it. How big a circuit did you provide for it. If your 60 amps, I don’t think you'll need to program it much, but you still have to set it up. I also understand that the new Tesla app will be able to control the wall connector better.

Best suggestion is to call Tesla for support. The process is quite finicky on the Gen 3 and they were terrific at walking me through it. How big a circuit did you provide for it. If your 60 amps, I don’t think you'll need to program it much, but you still have to set it up. I also understand that the new Tesla app will be able to control the wall connector better.
Yes, it's 60 Amps.

Yes, it's 60 Amps.
Wow! Lucky you! You get 48amps out that, but I think you still need to go through the process. I only have a 30amp circuit in my underground. But then again, I don’t pay for my electrons. I just recall that the tech support at Tesla, were absolutely terrific. You should call them. It also has to do with firmware updates for the wall charger. Best of luck!

Okay, it's commissioned. Whew. It was about an hour call with Tesla. We went in circles for some time, turning the breaker off three different times. Eventually she had me download a firmware update to the Connector and install it. That apparently got things in order. She said she would put in the notes for any future calls that we had to manually commission it, or offline commission it, something like that.

I do have a further question for the thread. My Model 3 connects in the garage to my Google Wifi network. It's not the strongest signal in the garage, but it does work with the car just fine. In the middle of doing the commissioning of the Wall Connector, I moved one of my WiFi points into the garage for a stronger signal, just in case it needed it. Do you think I can move it back to where it used to be, or I should buy another WiFi point for my garage now? In other words, will my Wall Connector--which may have less signal strength than my Model 3--be communicating directly with my Wall Charger on a daily basis? Or just with my car? I can buy an additional one for $60 on Prime Day today...

Thanks!

Interesting thread. I had no idea the Wall Connector was wi-fi enabled and I've been running mine for almost a year. The documentation that it came with was pretty sparse. What do you gain from having the WC on the network?

Okay, it's commissioned. Whew. It was about an hour call with Tesla. We went in circles for some time, turning the breaker off three different times. Eventually she had me download a firmware update to the Connector and install it. That apparently got things in order. She said she would put in the notes for any future calls that we had to manually commission it, or offline commission it, something like that.

I do have a further question for the thread. My Model 3 connects in the garage to my Google Wifi network. It's not the strongest signal in the garage, but it does work with the car just fine. In the middle of doing the commissioning of the Wall Connector, I moved one of my WiFi points into the garage for a stronger signal, just in case it needed it. Do you think I can move it back to where it used to be, or I should buy another WiFi point for my garage now? In other words, will my Wall Connector--which may have less signal strength than my Model 3--be communicating directly with my Wall Charger on a daily basis? Or just with my car? I can buy an additional one for $60 on Prime Day today...

Thanks!
I also have Google WiFi and in my garage it wasn't the best signal strength but the Tesla charger seemed fine. I also have a Tesla charger at work and the signal is worse but I've had no issues. I did end up buying the Google mesh network and I couldn't be happier with coverage all through my house including my basement and pool area, well over 5500 sq ft.

Reactions: Subie2M3
Interesting thread. I had no idea the Wall Connector was wi-fi enabled and I've been running mine for almost a year. The documentation that it came with was pretty sparse. What do you gain from having the WC on the network?
Currently just updates to the software but in the near future we will be able to add the charger to our mobile app. We will have more granular controls I would think.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I have a 240 volt plug on a 50 amp dedicated circuit. I don't have a wall charger. instead, I use the mobil connector that used to come with the M3 when I bought it in 2020. My Tesla app recognized it immediately when I plugged it into the line. I can start or stop the charging and monitor it using the Tesla app. So, what I'm wondering is, what are the advantages to shelling out extra bucks for the wall connector? What, if anything does it do that my mobil connector doesn't do?

I have a 240 volt plug on a 50 amp dedicated circuit. I don't have a wall charger. instead, I use the mobil connector that used to come with the M3 when I bought it in 2020. My Tesla app recognized it immediately when I plugged it into the line. I can start or stop the charging and monitor it using the Tesla app. So, what I'm wondering is, what are the advantages to shelling out extra bucks for the wall connector? What, if anything does it do that my mobil connector doesn't do?
It's hard wired, as opposed to being plugged in. This makes it a little safer. Additionally, it's weatherproof. It also looks nicer in a garage. That's not a huge selling point, but if you're going to get one of them and the price is comparable, the HPWC is nicer.

The Gen 3 has built in Wifi. There are currently a few advantages that i know of:
1) Over the air firmware updates
2) Simple configuration of power sharing between multiple Gen 3 connectors on the same circuit (although, technically requires a load center now, which Gen 2 didn't)
3) Can change the max current config without opening up the charger
4) Can grant "access" to the charger to only specific vehicles\VINs\users (handy if you want to share with friends, block your neighbors, or rent it out I guess?)
5) Fairly soon they are supposed to allow adding the connector to the Tesla mobile app. I don't know if this adds any new features, but i'm guessing for now it only enables easier access to the same features available through the webportal.

Reactions: Birdsfan
Note on my iphone's WiFi screenshot, that under the Telsa SSID it says "No Internet Connection."
People misunderstand that note all the time, so you're not the only one. That is your PHONE reporting that the PHONE doesn't have an internet connection, and that's correct. It shouldn't. The wi-fi hotspot that the wall connector is providing is not supposed to be a gateway, passing an internet connection through to your phone. It's just an interface to let the phone connect into the wall connector. Internet isn't relevant to that part. But then through that interface, there should be a way to enter the details to tell the wall connector how to connect to your router.

Do you think I can move it back to where it used to be, or I should buy another WiFi point for my garage now? In other words, will my Wall Connector--which may have less signal strength than my Model 3--be communicating directly with my Wall Charger on a daily basis?
Kind of hard to guess. Why not just move it back and see? You should be able to see using the Google app whether the Wall Connector is connected to the WiFi. On the other hand, $60 is pretty cheap...

"On the other hand, $60 is pretty cheap..."
Kind of hard to guess. Why not just move it back and see? You should be able to see using the Google app whether the Wall Connector is connected to the WiFi. On the other hand, $60 is pretty cheap...

"On the other hand, $60 is pretty cheap..." That was my thought too, and I just bought the additional access point. Not worthy my time thinking about it.