Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEED URGENT advice, placed order for inventory car, paid cash, car not available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, kind need some advice here. I found an inventory MX with 2000 miles on it and purchased it last Friday. Paid full price in cash, transaction went through, money left my bank. MyTesla shows awaiting contact by DS. Last this evening, I get email from my sales advisor saying this car was listed in error and is not available and won't be delivered. Very cheery email ("BUT GOOD NEWS, I found a better car for you- less miles and better color, etc.". Oh by the way, it's not the 90D I paid for, it's 75D. Ahh no thanks!)

What's my best course of action? I do have a binding contract. Demand they build me a new car with these specs for agreed upon price?

Have you asked for your money back? After all, you were told the product you purchased is not available nor is an equivalent offered to you.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't asked to cancel the transaction yet. I do want to purchase a MX in 2016 to take advantage of unlimited supercharging. Cancellinv would be my last resort. I am wondering if I have an upper hand now and can insist on a new car for the agreed upon price with agreed upon specs.

So you mean to say you paid full price including a discount of $2000 for the miles? If so, I think you will have a hard time making a custom build work in time today if you look for approval from Tesla for a discount due to this issue. I would just make the custom order today if unlimited supercharging is important to you. You can still get the $1000 owner referral discount on the new order, and ask for a refund on your previous order while waiting 2-3 months for the new car just how you want it. Hope this helps, good luck.

Reactions: Gen3
Paid full price in cash, transaction went through, money left my bank.
MyTesla shows awaiting contact by DS.
Last this evening, I get email from my sales advisor saying this car was listed in error and is not available and won't be delivered.

Wow! I will be so pist!!
17F313-pissed.jpg

This is BS: "... sales advisor saying this car was listed in error."

Translation: " ... this car have been sold to someone else."

Well, for sure I will never consider getting a Tesla any longer!

Don't get duped with arrogant sales person playing the exclusivity card.

They have plenty of inventory cars right now. A lot not listed on their external site. They should be able to find you something close. It just may need to be shipped. You need to read your contract as Tesla usually protects themselves with the ability to get out of contracts. Also check and see if there is a arbitration clause which requires you accept binding arbitration.

just curious, why would you pay in full before delivery? wouldn't a deposit sufficed? I would never pay in advance for a car, I would only pay in full upon delivery

I agree with this. How could they not know the car was not available and still make you send the money?

I picked up my car on a Monday afternoon 17 months ago and only had a ACH instruction very late in the evening on the Friday before. the funds did not leave my account until that Monday morning. since Tesla controls 99.99% of this process, the money is in essence irrevocable once i click "PAY" on their website, so i get take delivery of the car weather the money is in their account or not. but again the point for me (and should have been for you) is that the money doesn't leave the buyers account until just before the car is ready to be picked up.

by then you certainly would have known if it is a real car that you were buying.

I would ask for a refund, urgently. You have another 9 days to find a car with unlimited free supercharging (for long distance travel).

This is a fair point. I wanted the funds to be deducted from my account in 2016, so I could take advantage of both deductions in 2016, not 2017. I made a purchase on 12/23 and was leaving on a Christams cruise the very next day.