Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema outlet alone vs Tesla Wall Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Projected to get my X in a month so I am planning to get my charging situation set up!

Is there any advantage of getting a Tesla wall charger vs just plugging into a Nema 14-60 outlet?

Also do I get the tax credit for just installing the Nema outlet?

Thank you!!!

Advantages of HPWC:

1. Potentially faster charge. If your panel and/or electrical service won't support an additional 100 amp circuit, then you will either have to pay for an upgrade or dial it down to a level the panel/service can handle.

2. Longer cable. More installation location flexibility.

3. Heavier duty cable. Less heat.

4. Hardwired. Fewer connections imply fewer problems.

Advantages of UMC/NEMA 14-50:

1. Cost.

2. 40 amp charging is fast enough for most people.

Another advantage of getting the HPWC is that you can keep your UMC in the trunk, instead of unplugging it and stowing it in the car whenever you leave on a long trip. Most 14-50 outlets are not designed to last for many insert-remove cycles.
While true, typically it's somewhere around 300 cycles (a quick look didn't find any specs with this information, but 300 was posted some time ago). So three to six vacation trips a year plug taking it in to the Service Centre for inspection once a year, plus some extras and it's going to be over twenty years before it becomes an issue. You'll likely need to torque the wires to the receptacle long before the receptacle itself wears out. Of course, it's a different matter if you unplug weekly. And it's pretty easy to tell if it's wearing out because it will get hot, so check it occasionally.

Hi! Projected to get my X in a month so I am planning to get my charging situation set up!

Is there any advantage of getting a Tesla wall charger vs just plugging into a Nema 14-60 outlet?

Also do I get the tax credit for just installing the Nema outlet?

Thank you!!!
No one has commented on it, but I hope that was a typo, where you said 14-60 outlet. A 14-60 outlet does exist, but there is no point in installing it. The mobile cable for the Tesla can only handle 40A maximum, so the 14-50 outlet would be the right one.

Or you could do both.:)

20160613_140530 (Small).jpg

Reactions: GSP
Or you could do both.:)
Agreed. I did both in my garage. After over 2 1/2 years I have yet to use my NEMA 14-50 240V/40A plug but I like having it there as a backup in case my HPWC were to fail.

About 2 years ago the HPWC cable had to be replaced when I was suddenly unable to charge. I called my local Service Center. They came out and replaced the cable that same day! So I never even had to use my 14-50.