Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous now for ordering a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post here...

I have been wanting to buy a Tesla for many years now and thankfully am in a position to purchase one now so ordered a Model S earlier in the week.

I am fully aware of some minor quality control issues for new cars so am unfortunately expecting it but after experiencing customer service and horror stories about the Tysons Corner Virginia location, I am really getting nervous. Spending over 100k on a car, one should expect basic level of service which just this week I have not. Twice the local rep, he will call me and has not yet. Then I read reviews about the local (Tysons Corner) location and it sucks. This on top of quality control issues one HAS to expect at delivery.

I know this is a Tesla forum so folks may be a bit biased but I really would appreciate your input and experiences so I can decide to continue this purchase or find something else. I feel I will get much better overall experience at Porsche or Audi.

I took delivery of my Model 3 at the Tysons location and have had it serviced there exclusively since 2018. I've been generally happy with them. The service folks seem a little overwhelmed at times and they don't always have loaners (if they offer you Uber credits, you can use them for Uber Black, which is much better than Uber Select). Don't go into it expecting a luxury car dealer experience and you won't be disappointed. That said, they've been competent in their repairs and responsive to my needs.

Reactions: Azhar
I would say it’s the person who doesn’t understand EV’s aren’t for everyone. But to each their own.
Never said EVs are for everyone. The folks not interested in EVs, will probably never see this thread. The people here on a Tesla forum are probably interested in EVs.
I don’t go on ICE car forums and if I did, I wouldn’t be pushing EVs.

I have been wanting to buy a Tesla for many years now and thankfully am in a position to purchase one now so ordered a Model S earlier in the week.

I am fully aware of some minor quality control issues for new cars so am unfortunately expecting it but after experiencing customer service and horror stories about the Tysons Corner Virginia location, I am really getting nervous. Spending over 100k on a car, one should expect basic level of service which just this week I have not. Twice the local rep, he will call me and has not yet. Then I read reviews about the local (Tysons Corner) location and it sucks. This on top of quality control issues one HAS to expect at delivery.

I know this is a Tesla forum so folks may be a bit biased but I really would appreciate your input and experiences so I can decide to continue this purchase or find something else. I feel I will get much better overall experience at Porsche or Audi.
Got My in Dallas Area. Covid delivery sucked and I am still trying to figure out basic features. I still Love the Car and the Self Drive is great. Some Software Glitches but Tech support from the App is somewhat responsive.

The experience of waiting since January for a car with an estimated delivery date of February or March, without a single email, phone call, or text notifying me of a delay (much less apologizing) makes me think you should look elsewhere for a car. It does seem the car itself is good, but you cannot trust the company. By the way, the “customer service” folks in Burbank have repeatedly ignored my emails and calls.

Reactions: Merle
And what are you going to buy instead ? A Nissan Leaf, Polestar, ID4, Etron ?
Someone just needs to weigh the pros and cons and when that’s done, there isn’t a viable EV alternative at the moment. If someone doesn’t drive much, then the advantage of the SC network might not matter. If an ice car sounds like a better option, then good luck with that. Even though Tesla service isn’t perfect, I’ll deal with it. For now anyway. No other sensible options.
It isn't just that there is no good EV alternative, there is no good alternative at all if you are talking about cars in the same class as any Tesla model. My last non-EV car was a BMW 5 series with a twin turbo v8 back in early 2015. I leased a Nissan Leaf for 2 years in the summer of 2015 and then ordered a Model S P100D in October 2016 that was delivered in December 2016. When the P100D lease was up I started looking for something new. I looked at Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc. I looked at exotic cars. I ended up deciding on a Model 3 Performance. Nothing else measured up as far as speed, handling, value, etc. I just couldn't see spending $200,000+ on a 911 Turbo that wasn't really any faster than the Model 3 for less than $70,000. Now the MS Plaid is out and it is just irresistible until the Roadster is finally released in ten years.

Reactions: Drew-MS
The biggest concerns shouldn’t be ordering a vehicle that is on par with a good portion of a house down payment…

It is the wait. Not just for the car, but what if the car isn’t good enough and you have to reject it?

Some of us may have outstanding orders that we are being told won’t be filled until 10 months after the order is placed.

Is that where you want to be, placing an order for nearly $100K that takes longer than it takes to give birth to a person, or to build a home from scratch?

The biggest concerns shouldn’t be ordering a vehicle that is on par with a good portion of a house down payment…

It is the wait. Not just for the car, but what if the car isn’t good enough and you have to reject it?

Some of us may have outstanding orders that we are being told won’t be filled until 10 months after the order is placed.

Is that where you want to be, placing an order for nearly $100K that takes longer than it takes to give birth to a person, or to build a home from scratch?
Honestly I think they should temporarily remove the options that have wait times that long. I don't think Tesla is that focused on Model S buyers as they represent a small portion of their overall business. If a few people cancel their order because it takes too long it doesn't really hurt their bottom line. They can sell 2 - 3 Model 3s and Model Ys and generate the same revenue / profit as one Model S. They generate sales by introducing new products and providing flashy and innovative features.

They operate like a tech company as well where there is an intentional limitation on communication with ultimate customers as it takes up a lot of resources with a very limited benefit to the company.

Understood, and fair points. But it’s not only Tesla dealing with parts shortages and delays. It’s pretty common these days.
If I could have walked into a Lucid store in the past few months and driven away in a Lucid Air Dream edition, I probably would have.

Reactions: Merle
Problems are also WAY overstated. People complain about issues, but are silent on non-issues. When you go to a forum to discuss issues, guess what, everyone there has problem and issues, but it doesn't represent the typical buyer. I have bought 5 with no significant issues. Yes, a few delays in trying to get the first of a new model, but after the initial rush, the process gets smoother just like with other manufacturers. At least there isn't a $10k or more 'dealer markup' on new models.