Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netzero App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mobile UI already has some information overload problems, but I'm willing to experiment with the web app. Undocumented feature for now: if you press the 'F' key on the overview screen, you'll get the detailed charts.
Very cool, works as expected/hoped. I'm 90% using mobile, but hey, beggars can't be choosers!

Attachments

• 1719647190271.png
    1719647190271.png
    108 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the feedback!

You can definitely use automations to manage GC, it's a common use-case. Either approach (time based or 50% SoC) should work. One consideration for the 50% SoC approach is that it could kick in during your 2pm top-off (if your SoC is below 50% and you turn on GC at 2pm, it would get turned off again at 50% SoC). But you're probably not discharging your battery during this time, so this would not be a problem.

Give it a try a let me know if you run into any issues.

I'm still looking into how my automations setup is executing. There were definitely some anomalies earlier in the week. They seem to have stabilized. I do get the sense the PW makes adjustments as it re-learns. I also think there are quirks when you use CoS, and 3 EV's on CoS...and you start messing with PTO/PTE.

That said, I think things are now more or less working with below automations.

View attachment 1060784

Pseudo-code / reason behind the automation:

On TOU always...always try to optimize for NEM2 credits based on EV2A rates. Almost identical for PGE EV2A tariff, but i adjust the re-sell to account for 10% R/T losses.

101a set GC == Disabled...because of my EV2A rates in the main Tesla rate table, my 4x PW's will charge at max rate (~20-21kW) starting at midnight. This setting allows me to get about 19.5kWh (after 5% one-way loss), or about 36% into the PW's. Then it halts further GC, to allow me to force charing on solar to the PW during the ensuing day. This is the fundamental piece of the approach to lowering NBC's. Previously Tesla's "algorithm would typically charge my PW up to 70-80% during the night, even if we were in summer months and good weather is planned the next day.

103a set Export == No Export (turns of PTE/PTO)...this ensures my PW does not discharge to the grid. This should not happen due to the EV2A rates, so I guess it's a bit redundant. It also prevents PV from going to the grid (I don't want to send good solar for NEM2 credits at cheap rates). I guess this is also should not happen due to EV2A rates...but on two occasions earlier in the week, I was exporting at 1p and 1135a...it could have been due to issues with CoS settings getting corrupted somehow. Anyways, I didnt see any downsides.

105a set Backup Reserve == 100%...this is more an anticipatory step for when the sun rises...to force the PW / Tesla algorithm to charge, and get PW to 100%.

Now, as the sun rises in the AM...100% of my PV production should go to PW (no EE, no PV export and the EV's using CoS should defer priority to PW). Think we still had weird weather on Mon/Tue, but Wed-Fri this week...it was very clear, 100% of PV went to PW. Great to see!

201p set GC == Enabled...this allows, should the weather be cloudy, or PV production somehow low, for it to get up to 1hr (at ~21kW) to top off the PV's to 100% SoC. This should be driven by Tesla algorithm with my EV2A rate plan on TOU. On Wed and Thu there was an intense GC spike right when this activated...on Fri it seems like it had "learned" to not take this, or maybe it's just because the SoC was 97% at 155p-2p....

257p set Export == EE...just before we get to Part-Peak, where it does make sense on EV2A for me to send PV to the grid, I allow the PW/GW2 to export everything. I still don't want to send PW energy to the grid, because at 4p i get even more NEM2 credits.

259p set Backup Reserve == 0%...in combo with EE re-activated, allow the PW to go all the way down to 0% SOC, so that starting at 4p, i dump as much energy as possible (while hopefully through it's behavioral learning...the PW saves enough that i dont consume from grid during the peak or part-peak that night for things like AC).

4p (no automation needed, native to Tesla algorirthm & EV2A rate plan)...the PW dumps as much as it can for NEM2 credits. System did this perfectly Wed-Fri. Earlier in week on Mon/Tue it did some export, but it left a lot of SoC in the PW's into the part-peak. I blame either PW re-learning...or maybe it was just the weird weather and lack of PV production.

Anyways, this seems to work...i'll need to run the numbers (maybe CSV pull for easy math?) but I believe my daily imports (hitting my NBC's) are now down in the 40-50kWh range instead of the 60-70kWh. Even if it's just an average of 10kWh reduction per day over 1yr...that's 3,600kWh of NBC savings. And I think it's more.

Below is summary views of last 5 days. Utilizing that cool new "undocumented" feature.

1719648968728.png

1719649027321.png

1719649047863.png

1719649075047.png

1719649102559.png

Attachments

• 1719649005299.png
    1719649005299.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: offandonagain
One other feature request...any possibility to overlay SOC over the Powerwall graph in summary view?

And maybe some dumb questions...in the web app....F toggles this new view, J moves back one day, K resets you to "today". Is there a hot key for moving forward one day? I could not find any way to change dates with mouse or arrow keys, just "go to date".

The mobile UI already has some information overload problems, but I'm willing to experiment with the web app. Undocumented feature for now: if you press the 'F' key on the overview screen, you'll get the detailed charts.

When you configure your Utility Rate Plan in the Tesla app you can specify Winter and Summer pricing, it that what you were looking for?

Netzero does have support for configuring utility rate plans, but only for dynamic tariffs (rate plans that change daily, these are not common in the US).
I have the Tesla app set for the summer/winter pricing and times. I was asking abot the NetZero app. If I forget to change the setting there when the Tesla app switches seasons I will end up with power use during the peak for sure. Oh well, SRP does remind me when they do the change, I will just have to make changes to the NetZero settings. Thanks

Reactions: offandonagain
And maybe some dumb questions...in the web app....F toggles this new view, J moves back one day, K resets you to "today". Is there a hot key for moving forward one day? I could not find any way to change dates with mouse or arrow keys, just "go to date".

'L' for next day.

Geeting ready to have 2 PW3s installed to our Enphase PV system (31 Enphase IQ8A Inverters) will this app work with this "hybrid" system?

Yes, your Tesla account should have all the visibility so just use Tesla sign-in with Netzero.

Yes, your Tesla account should have all the visibility so just use Tesla sign-in with Netzero.
This may sound like a strange request (and admittedly one that not many people would use) but is there a way to subtract out the Enphase microinverter output from the total CT output and display it separately?

I have two seperate solar systems, an old string system and a newer Enphase system with microinverters. I no longer have access to directly monitor the old string system. When I had the Enphase system installed I had them place the CTs to monitor the total output of both systems. And the Tesla app also monitors total output of both systems. To see the output of just the Enphase system I have to go to the microinverter view. And if I want to know the output of the old string system I have to subtract the microinverter output from the total output. Would there be a way to have Netzero show just the microinverter output and also have a view that displays the calculated output of the old string system?