TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New 20" Wheels & Tires

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Dreamin, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

#1 Dreamin, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Wheels1.jpg

Wheels2.jpg

Wheels3.jpg

Wheels3a.jpg

Wheels4.jpg

Wheels5.jpg

Wheels6.jpg

Wheels: Ace Alloy - Convex / Hyper Silver finish / 20x9 all around / 35mm offset / 72.6mm CB (centering ring required) / ~$350-$400 a wheel (online vs shop)
    Tires: Michelin Pilot Super sport 255/40/20 / 28.0" diameter vs 27.7" factory tires / $369 a tire currently from Tirerack

Wheel Size
    I had the factory 19x8" wheels and have coil suspension.
    Searched for 19x9s and 20x9s, but couldn't find a style I liked in 19x9, so decided to go with with 20s.
    While I really wanted a staggered setup -10s in the rear would look phenomenal- I decided to go non-staggered...
    Front wheel fitment: no issues. With a 9" wheel in front, a 30mm to 35mm offset will work. If running wider tires (265): go closer to 30mm; regular tires (245-255): 35mm works fine; I would not run higher than a 35mm offset.
    Rear wheel fitment: no issues. There is plenty of space in the rear. People are running 10" and 10.5" rear wheels.

Wheel Type
    This is a cast wheel. I thought long and hard about getting a forged wheel...
    CCW wheels would be a light, relatively inexpensive option, but none of John's designs really fit the car.
    Tsportlines: Visited Elli at Al&Eds in Hollywood, great guy, super knowledgeable. The wheels on his car are gorgeous. But at the end of the day I just couldn't get my head around spending ~$9000 out the door for these wheels+tires.
    Other forged options I looked at are even more $$$.
    Ultimately I am happy with the trade-offs I made going with a cast wheel.

Tire Size
    I'm a big believer in a taller sidewall: More sidewall = more compliance = more absolute grip. And I prefer the more predictable feel of a taller sidewall... as opposed to the 'on/off' feel of a very short sidewall. So I didn't even consider a 21" or 22" wheel. And as I was +1 sizing to a 20" wheels, I decided to run a slightly taller sidewall than the 19" 245/45 sidewall.

Weight
    Factory 19" Wheel+Tire+TPMS+Center cap: 58.6 lbs
    New 20" Wheel+Tire+TPMS+Center cap: 57.5 lbs
    So I lost 1.1 lbs. I can live with that given that I went +1" in both height and width. But there definitely are lighter wheels out there.

Shop
    Bought them from a hole in the wall shop, not in the best part of Los Angeles. I picked it because it's close to my work. And this turned out to be a good decision as the owner Kiko is a perfectionest... a methodical, straight-shooting, perfectionist... double/triple checking wheel availability, offsets, TPMS, etc. OUTSTANDING customer service. Victoria Tire and Wheel, Huntington Park, CA.

Driving
    Road noise: 90% of roads/pavement: Slightly more road noise (less of an increase than i expected); 10% of roads/pavement: Crazy loud groaning!
    Ride: Moderately stiffer ride (about what i expected from a +1 max performance summer tire)
    Initial driving impressions: LOVE the new setup, especially the Pilot Super Sports. Much higher overall grip, balanced, predictable handling, improved steering response, significantly better braking, overall a more confidence-inspiring, better connected to the road feeling. Can't say how much of this is the wider wheels, but the Super Sports really are as good as the reviews say they are.
    Will provide more details once I get more miles on the new setup.

New wheel+tire vs factory 19" wheel+tire:
    Wheels7.jpg

Factory 19" wheel+tire weight:
    Wheels9.jpg

New wheel+tire weight:
    Wheels9a.jpg

UPDATE1:
    With 255/40/20 tires (28.0" diameter vs 27.7" factory tires), I have discovered I have slight rub in front - only in reverse, when the steering wheel is at a specific angle. Slightly turned and full lock, no rubbing. But at one specific steering angle in the middle, the tires rub. It's very slight and I hardly notice it, but if you don't want to deal with this, run 245/40/20 tires (factory diameter).
    Rub.jpg

Update2:
    Ended up changing my rear wheels from 9" to 10" with 285/35/20 PSS.
    New 20 Tires - Page 3

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I've been considering options for getting Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on the car at some point in the future (maybe a year from now) and this looks like a really good option.

Thanks for sharing.

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

1. Nice looking wheels. Good aesthetic choice
    2. That's a lot of rubber!

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

More rims that fit an MS but are not rated for that service.
    --

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

What do you mean? Not sure I understand.

It baffles me that TM doesn't offer a 20". 45s are a little thick, 35s are way too thin, and 40 looks just about right.

Very nice wheel selection. It's hard to find a wheel that fits in with the design of a car. Those look pretty good!

6. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

where did you purchase the new TPMS and how much was it if you don't mind me asking. I am looking to downsize from 21 to 20" but I will be going alittle wider on the rear.

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Looks great (silver finish matches all the chrome on the car nicely). Nice choice in tires too, can't believe how much wider the 255/40 looks vs. the 245/45's!

8. MrIanB

MrIanB Member

Needs a drop.

ian b

9. DIL

DIL Member

Looks sharp. Great choices. And thanks for sharing the process.

A lot of us are trying to figure out how to get those sweet Michelin Super Sports onto this car. Don't understand why Michelin doesn't make PSS to fit the base 245/45-19 size.

Have fun!

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thank you. And yes I looked at A LOT of wheels trying to find a simple style that would fit with the lines of the car... do this long enough and you will become a "car racist". I'd find myself saying, "Oooh, these would look great on a BMW... on a Nissan GTR... on a Mercedes... but won't work at all on my Tesla."

- - - Updated - - -

Your tire shop should be able to get them for you. I understand there are only a few TPMS frequencies. Model S uses a 433Mhz sensor.
    If you want to get them yourself, Tirerack carries them, and will sell you the sensors alone (I asked). $388+shipping for four.

- - - Updated - - -

1000% agree. Waiting for lolachampcar to design his "+ suspension for the rest of us" upgrade. :biggrin:

11. logan

logan Member

Nice wheels!

I lowered my P85 with iamsohai's lowering links and it turned out pretty good :). That could be an option. Here's a pic:

hXz3E6A.jpg

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Love your wheels and the lambo green calipers!

I believe iamsohai's lowering links only work for air-suspension cars... i have coil suspension... so it's going to take more work to lower my car.

13. lloyds

lloyds Member

You're brave to put green calipers on a white car!

14. Andercam

Andercam Member

Centering rings

15. logan

logan Member

Thank you! :biggrin:

Ahh.. Totally didn't think about whether or not you had the air suspension or not! Doh.

Haha why's that?

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

#16 Dreamin, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Can you post pics of your car? I wanted to go with that color, but could not get a sense of what the color really looked like from online pics.

On centering-rings, yes the hub-centering 'lip' is crazy-short on this car, and you have to match the taper of the new wheel's hub. My shop had rings in stock which worked. I will give them a call and try to get a make and model #. I can also take one of my wheels off this weekend and see if there is a name/model printed on them. Finally, you can call Tire rack and see if they will sell you their centering-rings...

17. Andercam

Andercam Member

I don't have them on the car yet, but I will post a pic when I get them on. I have a blue S though.
    My local tire shop is working on a solution for the rings. I'm hoping they have something figured out when I get back in town on Saturday.

18. johnmodels

johnmodels Member

I like the look. A question???

Looks like the diameter of the tire is "taller" than oem. I have 20's myself. 245/40/20 front, 275/35/20 rear. That aspect ratio was needed to keep the speedometer calibrated within 3% of oem. Is your speedometer off?

john

- - - Updated - - -

I just was that it was .3 inch difference. Just looks more...
    my bad

19. paracord

paracord Member

Very nice :) I got my self also 20" from Tirerack (Zinik Z33). Now i just have to wait for my car to arrive here in Norway in November:))) I am also adding a link to the latest test of Tesla S in Broom - see it in 16:40 out in the program (Norwegian Language) - http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=3006&progId=758520 - enjoy!

Teslafelg 20"_2.jpg Teslafelg 20"_3.jpg Teslafelga 20"_1.jpg

20. rewski

rewski Member

Good choice! After seeing your pictures I pulled the trigger on the same wheels from Tire Rack for my winter wheels out here in Denver CO. Should arrive late next week...TPMS on special order so a slight delay in shipping.