Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep thinking back to driver's education class where they drilled the phrase into our brains: "keep your hands firmly on the wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions - for safety." Then digital clocks happened. How times change.

Does anyone else think it is odd that the left turn signal button is one the left side of the "wheel" but the right turn signal button is also on the left side of the "wheel?" No possible way to hit the wrong directional button that way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well I'm glad I got my 2021 LR+ when I did (October). $80k honestly pushes it out of my price range. It was already a stretch for me at the price I paid. Not to mention the EV Credit here in Colorado went down by $1500 in January.

Also noticed they snuck in an extra $500 for the non-black interior. $1500 for exterior paint, and now $2000 for interior color.

So this new car is effectively $12,570 more expensive for me. Feeling pretty happy about buying when I did! :)

I keep thinking back to driver's education class where they drilled the phrase into our brains: "keep your hands firmly on the wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions - for safety." Then digital clocks happened. How times change.
10 and 2 has been outdated guidance at least since the advent of airbags. It’s all 3 and 9 now.

This new steering control is actually increasing your safety by simply eliminating the part of the wheel where you’re no longer supposed to rest your hands. ;)

And how many of those times was the model you ordered discontinued and replaced by a totally redesigned one before you received it?

Never. It does not work that way. If GM accepts your order it is because they know they are going to build your car. They "cut off" orders when they know they will build no more. And with Corvettes a "totally redesigned one" is called a new generation. They are now on the "C8" which is the 8th generation of Corvettes. This "revision" of the S and X is anything but a "total redesign" aka generation. Now because of the pandemic they were unable to meet the demand for the 2020 model and some people got pushed to a 2021which had a few tweaks but I am pretty sure that you were still price protected. And before the C8 was the C7. When you ordered the last of the C7's you knew exactly what you were ordering - when the cutoff date was to order AND you knew pretty much what the C8 was going to be and when the "order banks" were going to open up for the new C8's. The C8 was delayed because of a strike and then got hit with the pandemic. Sorry, the way Tesla is doing this is wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder if there are regulations related to emergency brake mechanisms. With current version, you can hold down the Park button to override motor and apply the brake. Without any stalk or physical button, it would seem a bit risky to rely upon a virtual button on the screen. I would prefer physical mechanism to rapidly get car out of Drive or Reverse too.

I tried the experiment today of avoiding the top portion of the wheel. It was...fine? Not a big deal at all. For u-turns I found myself using the bottom of the wheel more. It was seriously not a big deal. I think everyone is over reacting because “change is different”.

This reminds me a lot of the big ui refresh when the classic analog speed/power gauges were replaced by the car/road rendering. TMC was up in arms for months, folks wanting refunds, class action lawsuit threats. Everyone just breathe. Things will be fine. The yoke will be fine. The prnd will be fine. You will adapt. You will wonder “wow how did I ever use that silly stalk and top part of the wheel”.

Do folks remember the early days when people just couldn’t get over the fact there was no engine noise? How can you drive a completely silent car! Or no manual transmission option? Think how silly those days were compared to now. I predict the yoke and stalk threads will be very similar. You’re telling Henry Ford you want a faster horse.

I don't understand what people use the top part of the wheel for anyway, if I am making a big turn I use the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and palms it. Don't think I ever use the top, the whole crossing arms thing is a relic from before variable power assisted steering when you needed to apply some force at lower speeds.
Exactly! I think a lot of folks complaining are stuck in the past...

Exactly! I think a lot of folks complaining are stuck in the past...
How is a yoke steering wheel futuristic? It’s just a different design that has no real functional benefit.
Just because Tesla did it doesn’t mean it’s some sort of futuristic advancement, it just means elon has a lot of influence over the design.

Anyone find any info on if the arachnid option will be staggered?

My current set is, but they were a referral reward.

It states they are staggered here: Model S. Scroll down to the picture of the Arachnid wheel. It says:
Responsive Performance

Staggered, performance-focused wheels and tires keep the car planted and transfer even more power down to the road.

I also noticed on the order page, if you zoom in on the front Arachnid wheel/tire, the front tire is now wider at 265/35R21. I'm guessing the back is probably 285/35R21 since the old setup was 245 front and 265 rear.

I'm from New York and drive mostly with my left hand and on left turns, I start at the top of the wheel, turning left and allow the wheel to slide right. Right hand, coffee... left hand alternate to rest on top or bottom of wheel for control.. Maybe others drive with both hands at the bottom of the wheel... my wife drives the way that new MS wheel looks, both hands on the sides while going 15mph... she'll like it.. no man I know with a car that cost over $70k drives like a kid taking a driving test. What's the point of having a cool car and not being able to look cool driving it... I'm a "wax on, wax off" one handed driver when doing under 35mph.. people going to feel weird under 35mph with this wheel once they realize their real driving habit at low local speeds.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Needsdecaf