Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your order is for a "Long Range+" correct? They no longer offer that variant, they now sell the "Long Range". I'm pretty sure the order agreement says that if they stop making the variant that you ordered that their only obligation is to refund your $100 order fee.

Yep:

Correct. Long Range+. Very amusing though that they eliminate the + and it is a new model. Still a base Long Range, but I get it. Hope I do get my $100 back. You would think the system would at least change my order, since that model is no longer available. Sometimes, I think they have very shady sales practices. :)

Correct. Long Range+. Very amusing though that they eliminate the + and it is a new model. Still a base Long Range, but I get it.

The EPA requires them to change the year, model, or variant in order to get a different EPA range rating. (That is why the + version existed in the first place, they had to change the variant to get the EPA to re-rate it and get the 402 mile estimated range.)

This time they just had to remove the + to make it different so that they could get a new EPA range rating. (Since after all it is a different car now.)

Good point. I don't see them in this photo either:

vmpwt1x51yd61.png
Is that a screenshot from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

People on this forum have been well aware, for many months, that the S/X line was shut down and more than likely it was to do he highly anticipated "refresh".

Some even posted that they were going to place a $100 deposit just to play it both ways. Would cancel if nothing showed up, but hopefully they could get the newer configuration at a discount if the new model went up in price.

Many posts indicated that pricing in Europe had just gone up, and many speculated that was due to prep the market for the new pricing as well.

Of course lots of people would like to buy the new model at the old price, but that is not how Tesla words their purchase agreements. Pretty much they can offer what ever pricing they want, and you can decide to take deliver or not.

Believe they are now offering a $2,000 discount for those wanting to take delivery of the newest configurations.

People complain when Tesla raises or lowers their pricing. Everyone wants the best deal ever.

The new pricing structure does protect current owners from devaluation. Many posts previously bemoned Tesla for devaluating the value of their recently purchased vehicles.

Tesla rarely reveals their precise upcoming improvements. Do not want to Osborne their current production.

Well we can agree to disagree. I ordered several Corvettes in the past and in between the time I ordered and the time it was delivered Chevrolet raised the prices a few times. However, they ALWAYS honored the price they quoted me. I can guarantee you that Chevrolet knew they were going to raise the price when they took my order - before they would be able to deliver. Tesla KNEW they would not be delivering the vehicles ordered by many people AND knew the price would be substantially higher. I believe they should have given full disclosure at the time of the original deal of what they would do. That way people could have made an informed intelligent decision as to what they wanted to do at the time.

This forum and thread is so odd to me. Tesla owners have been beta testers until very recently with Model 3s. Tesla models have been very progressive since Tesla was incorporated. Tesla has delivered products late, but close to what they announced. Relax and enjoy progression. No one forcing you to buy.

Current 2018 p100d owner and ordered a model s with arachnids. Love my current arachnids, which are gloss black. New ones seem a different color, will give me a choice.

Have a feeling that the yolk wheel will be just fine.

Completely agree. I just tweeted Elon that it was bait and switch and that he should honor existing order prices. And that his prices will not even be competitive very soon and will have to lower them any way.

Nothing on my order has even changed yet. Still says $69k for the base I was ordering. If you want to charge $10k then at least include FSD, since it looks required for that new steering wheel.
My Model S reservation with an agreed trade in value for our 2018 Model 3 , delivery estimate March 3 - 31 2021 with a cash payment on delivery yesterday morning , today now resembles our "order" for a LR RWD Model Y with a $2,500 deposit that for the past year basically says "prepare for delivery."
No other details (except good news no price increase).
HUH
K when?
Crickets from my SA.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Well we can agree to disagree. I ordered several Corvettes in the past and in between the time I ordered and the time it was delivered Chevrolet raised the prices a few times. However, they ALWAYS honored the price they quoted me. I can guarantee you that Chevrolet knew they were going to raise the price when they took my order - before they would be able to deliver. Tesla KNEW they would not be delivering the vehicles ordered by many people AND knew the price would be substantially higher. I believe they should have given full disclosure at the time of the original deal of what they would do. That way people could have made an informed intelligent decision as to what they wanted to do at the time.

you should stick with corvette and forget Tesla.

Feds 'Reaching Out' To Tesla Over Safety Of Steering Yoke In Model S

Until we get a chance to slip behind the wheel (or yoke) ourselves, there's not much we can say about ratios. However, Motor1.com did contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the not-a-wheel wheel. An NHTSA spokesperson offered this short but interesting reply.

"At this time, NHTSA cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information."

Logic suggests an automaker would be diligent in ensuring radical new designs meet various federal requirements. As such, it's possible Tesla designers did review such things and the NHTSA might simply have a mixup in its lines of communication. However, Tesla is also the company that has gullwing doors on an SUV that can flap in celebration mode. Tesla is the company that asks drivers if they want their mommy before engaging Ludicrous mode. Tesla is also the company that debuted the bonkers Cybertruck, which also raised questions about the legality of designs. In short, we doubt the NHTSA is mixed up.

One more about the steering wheel
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-tesla-model-s-x-steering-wheel-details/

"So, the NHTSA seems okay with the idea of a car—even a regular, manually controlled car that's not a self-driving vehicle—having a yoke so long as it satisfies impact safety regulations and has an airbag. Again, given the lack of existing clarity on the subject in the NHTSA's existing rulebook, and the fact that the statement above is referenced in a proposed rule change, it suggests that Tesla is in a gray zone with its futuristic new steering setup. There isn't anything on the books that all but states, "no, Tesla can't do this," but neither is there a clear-cut affirmation, either. We reached out to the NHTSA for clarity, and received this response:

"At this time, NHTSA cannot determine if the steering wheel meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. We will be reaching out to the automaker for more information.""