Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 Refresh Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How in the heII can AlanSubie4Life disagree with davidski's factual statement that Tesla releases updates throughout the year rather than doing them once a year? Is this a personal grudge of some kind where he thumbs downs every post from davidski? If so, it probably qualifies as harassment.

Keith

I am certainly not @AlanSubie4Life , but "the yearly refresh" by this OP could mean more than one thing. For example, "I" read it as "when does the model year change from 2022 to 2023", which tesla absolutely does do. I didnt read into it any specific vehicle features, just "when does the model year change (yearly refresh)".

The question @davidski answered was about vehicle features, correctly pointing out that the change in model years does not necessarily coincide with new vehicle features., but from my point of view that wasnt the question. With that being said, the question was very ambiguous so could have ment either.

As far as your other statement, that word isnt one I would use lightly. If you have something that you think should be pointed out to moderators, I would encourage you to report it using the report function.

How in the heII can AlanSubie4Life disagree with davidski's factual statement that Tesla releases updates throughout the year rather than doing them once a year? Is this a personal grudge of some kind where he thumbs downs every post from davidski? If so, it probably qualifies as harassment.

Keith
Can you point to all the other posts I have thumbs downed from @davidski? (Hint: this is not something that is actually happening.)

Anyway I disagreed with this (single) post because actually there are changes that have taken place in models based on the year. There are definitely model years, and differences! It used to be much more continuous with changes throughout the year (and that still happens, for sure). But range changes and BATTERY PACK changes have occurred on model year boundaries. For example, from 2020 to 2021 Performance: 2021 had the 82.1kWh pack, while 2020 has the 77.8kWh pack.

Another example is addition of the heat pump, which occurred on the 2020 to 2021 transition for Model 3, as I recall. These two changes of course had an impact on rated range. And the EPA website reflects those model year differences.

It’s quite reasonable to wait for the model year rollover (coming soon) to see whether anything changes, as @reystar suggested. It’s certainly not usually as dramatic as other manufacturer rollovers, but it can mean significant changes. That being said, I don’t expect big changes with this particular model year rollover. Maybe next model year (2024) there will be bigger shifts.

Last edited:
Can you point to all the other posts I have thumbs downed from @davidski? (Hint: this is not something that is actually happening.)

Anyway I disagreed with this (single) post because actually there are changes that have taken place in models based on the year. There are definitely model years, and differences! It used to be much more continuous with changes throughout the year (and that still happens, for sure). But range changes and BATTERY PACK changes have occurred on model year boundaries. For example, from 2020 to 2021 Performance: 2021 had the 82.1kWh pack, while 2020 has the 77.8kWh pack.

Another example is addition of the heat pump, which occurred on the 2020 to 2021 transition for Model 3, as I recall. These two changes of course had an impact on rated range. And the EPA website reflects those model year differences.

It’s quite reasonable to wait for the model year rollover (coming soon) to see whether anything changes, as @reystar suggested. It’s certainly not usually as dramatic as other manufacturer rollovers, but it can mean significant changes. That being said, I don’t expect big changes with this particular model year rollover. Maybe next model year (2024) there will be bigger shifts.
So basically his answer was correct but not as detailed or wordy as yours so you disagree. Lol

Yep, we lost USS for the 2023 model year 3 and Y, which are shipping now. Not the kind of "refresh" I was hoping for :rolleyes:

So basically his answer was correct but not as detailed or wordy as yours so you disagree. Lol
No.
This statement is false:
Tesla doesn’t do the usual yearly update on their cars for a new model year.
As made clear: they do indeed do such updates, and they can be substantial.. They also update during the year.

Any ideas when we should be expecting the yearly refresh? Should be around November right?
Yeah, November is the usual time for year+1, but even that can vary.

There have been rumors about a new steering wheel, but tbh changes like that don't always align with year boundaries. And sometimes even the ones that sort of align get rolled out to some trims before others.

Reactions: ord3r
Tesla doesn’t do the usual yearly update on their cars for a new model year. They release changes to their cars all through the year without announcing them ahead of time.
You are actually wrong in a way. Tesla indeed does yearly major changes and lots of minor / smaller ones throughout the year...
According to data, around November-December every year, they introduce their new version that has the most changes

Last edited:
chrome_SHxTcSPvpH.png
1665318812989.png

Tesla's most significant upgrades / changes happened on the yearly refresh version.
Just because they do some minor updates through out the year, doesnt change the fact that still, their most major changes happen on Q4 each year...data says..

Last edited:
I still say there is no change with model years, it happens all along the same year. Take my 2022 Model S. It was delivered Dec 28 2021 as a 2022 model. Some time in Feb or so and in the following weeks months they added a new charging door, a tilt screen mechanism to the main screen, matrix headlights and probably some other stuff I am not aware of. Same thing happened to my 2020 Model Y where they added a heated steering wheel, auto dimming mirrors, removed the passenger lumber support and a bunch of other stuff I cannot remember right now. None of this had anything to do with model year.

And I forgot to mention they also changed the rear lights on the MS 22's sometime in March or so. Never have I seen any advertisement by Tesla showing new model year changes, please show me anyone except for a total refresh and even this on the S was confusing as they had the old style MS for 2021 and the new MS for 2021.

I ordered a MS 2021 in July and got a 2022 MS in December, go figure. Luck of the draw depending on how long the delivery takes.

I still say there is no change with model years, it happens all along the same year. Take my 2022 Model S. It was delivered Dec 28 2021 as a 2022 model. Some time in Feb or so and in the following weeks months they added a new charging door, a tilt screen mechanism to the main screen, matrix headlights and probably some other stuff I am not aware of. Same thing happened to my 2020 Model Y where they added a heated steering wheel, auto dimming mirrors, removed the passenger lumber support and a bunch of other stuff I cannot remember right now. None of this had anything to do with model year.
First of all what you believe or what i believe really doesnt matter. What matters is the facts, open up the link and you can find each V differentiations.
Secondly, In case you didnt notice it, this is the MY forum, which has the same update cycles with M3 and not with MS/MX.

Also nobody said there are no chances throughout the year, yes there are. But the last 2 years the major changes usually happen on the yearly version.
Tesla moves way to fast to stay on 2020 year, its not accurate

AMD Ryzen, 15V, and heaters wipers happened a month or two after the first batch of 2022 Ys. There are early 2022s 3s and Ys without them. I know because I had a Y delivered late Jan 2022 and that was at the VIN cusp of receiving older hardware.

Also… due to part shortages Tesla will remove parts like CCS compatibility and the USB data port on the center consoles.

Tesla transitioning the 3 SR+ (NMC) to 3 RWD (LFP) was staggered over months between end of 2021 to early 2022 between year versions . I know again because I plucked an inventory 2021 3 SR+ in October but was miraculously allowed to put that order on hold and picked it up as a 3 RWD in March. I was hoping for a NMC SR+ as they were still available as late as Feb. Tesla silently increased the LFP battery pack in the RWD base around that time too and this was well after the model year switch.

Reactions: jsight and DrGriz
First of all what you believe or what i believe really doesnt matter. What matters is the facts, open up the link and you can find each V differentiations.
Secondly, In case you didnt notice it, this is the MY forum, which has the same update cycles with M3 and not with MS/MX.

Also nobody said there are no chances throughout the year, yes there are. But the last 2 years the major changes usually happen on the yearly version.
Tesla moves way to fast to stay on 2020 year, its not accurate
There is so much overlap on spec changes that there is little point in discussing discreet "Model Years". For example we had a 2021 Model Year M3 LR (delivered Dec 2020) that had about half of the reported 2021 "Model Year" changes. So there were at least 2 significantly differing 2021 Model Year cars on the road and probably more. Ours was a random mash-up of 2020-2021 spec. I expect something similar will happen again as Tesla certainly don't operate on strict spec timescales. Anything introduced as a "2023 Model Year" will be delivered as and when whatever updates are available and will probably vary from factory to factory. So there will never be a definitive 2023 spec car.

Reactions: Yelobird