Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 340W Solar Panels on Tesla's Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I received a new "solar purchase agreement" with the updated pricing which required my virtual signature. The price was originally $10,500 on my first agreement and is now $9,581.55 on the new one. I haven't paid for any portion of the system yet besides the $100 deposit, your documents seem to imply you have paid for a portion or all of your system?

I haven’t paid for my system yet (although I am getting a loan through Tesla for it), but I was pretty far along in the process. The permit had already been applied for and approved and the install was scheduled at the time they made the price change. (They are actually just finishing up the install now... it started yesterday morning). There may be different options depending on how far along you are in the process.

I spoke to them the other day about the price difference and they promised to rebate me $4,228 on a large install with 3 PW. My new solar payment agreement seems to have incorporated that. I was originally told pay the full amount and they will pay me the difference after activation. Perhaps that was for systems that were being installed imminently? I am still waiting for my date although my permits are done.

I spoke to them the other day about the price difference and they promised to rebate me $4,228 on a large install with 3 PW. My new solar payment agreement seems to have incorporated that. I was originally told pay the full amount and they will pay me the difference after activation. Perhaps that was for systems that were being installed imminently? I am still waiting for my date although my permits are done.

Perhaps, although when I got my loan agreement it showed a payment amount that was less than the estimated amount shown on the website. I think the web site might just estimate on the high side in case extra work needs to be done or something. I suspect that you will still get the rebate in addition to the lower payments.

Reactions: Zer0t
Has anyone gotten a system design doc from Tesla since the launch of the 340 watt panels?

My design document states a 14,249 kW capacity for 36 panels, which would imply 395 watts per panel. They also attached the spec of the Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G6+ / SC panels which states 330-345 watt. More details here: Considering solar panels, looking for sizing/financing advice

I did. Mine is:

Quantity: 48 Panels
System Size: 16.32 kW
Est. Annual Production: 17369.30 kWh

exactly 340/panel.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Has anyone gotten a system design doc from Tesla since the launch of the 340 watt panels?

My design document states a 14,249 kW capacity for 36 panels, which would imply 395 watts per panel. They also attached the spec of the Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G6+ / SC panels which states 330-345 watt. More details here: Considering solar panels, looking for sizing/financing advice
I know they have been hard to contact, but I would definitely check with Tesla again. When they were designing our system, they made multiple mistakes in the numbers that they had to correct - nothing quite so big, but my impression at the time was they were still doing a lot of this by hand, so there is definitely room for error.

I know they have been hard to contact, but I would definitely check with Tesla again. When they were designing our system, they made multiple mistakes in the numbers that they had to correct - nothing quite so big, but my impression at the time was they were still doing a lot of this by hand, so there is definitely room for error.

Thanks. They actually answered the customer help line straight away and the fellow there confirmed it was a typo that they would correct. It is indeed meant to be 12,240 kW.

I emailed my rep and was able to get my small system knocked down about $1000 if I stick with the smaller panels. :eek:

I am getting quotes for moving some roof vents so my permits and design are paused at the moment. It seems like I could keep the small panels as is, or move to the bigger panels (not for free of course). Lucked out I guess.

Do NOT "move" roof vents; get RID OF THEM instead.

So much nicer to have a clean roof and with far less chance of leaks: just mount these in your attic space in get rid of the stupid plumbing vents:

https://smile.amazon.com/Oatey-3901...encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Do NOT "move" roof vents; get RID OF THEM instead.

So much nicer to have a clean roof and with far less chance of leaks: just mount these in your attic space in get rid of the stupid plumbing vents:

https://smile.amazon.com/Oatey-39018-Sure-Vent-plumbing-pressures/dp/B000H5SLWM/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g4368549507?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8
When did these come out and are they now legal in all states? Best time to do this is when reroofing. These would have allowed me to do a much better solar installation on my home. Thanks

When did these come out and are they now legal in all states? Best time to do this is when reroofing. These would have allowed me to do a much better solar installation on my home. Thanks

It’s well over my head, but it’s my understanding that they aren’t a good idea and they are prohibited by code in a lot of areas. There are some details here...

How & Why Air Admittance Valves are Used in Plumbing

That article includes the following info:
Caution! In any dwelling, there must be at least one vent open to the atmosphere outside (per code). An external, passive vent relieves positive pressure in the lines. No building should exclusively use AAVs - significant problems will result.

AAVs can be a great solution for venting problems, but should never be the first choice. In fact, they should be the absolute lastpossible choice - a traditional, passive, external venting system will always be superior (especially when it comes to positive pressure), and is often required by code. AAVs should always be considered a last resort.

We ended up eliminating two vents from the roof by combining three pipes in the attic, so they all share one vent out. Bam! No valve thingies. Seems like a lot of venting is done for ease of plumbing more than anything else and is generally way oversized.

I also totally think that the best time to eliminate vents is during reroofing. It is very hard to get someone out just to patch the vent area. It's also a PITA because you need a plumber to do one side, then a roofer to do the other. But in my case, it is now done, and I can have a seamless square of panels. :) Cost me about $700 total before tax credit.

I called today and they reduced the price of my medium system from $19,500 to $14,823.53 which matches the cost per watt of the 340W panels at $16,000. I did lose $600 on the Powerwall discount because it was more prior to the panel price change, but overall pretty happy with the price adjustment. Also still maintaining my discount I got through my local Tesla owners club (which is a rebate after install).

For what it's worth, they adjusted the price right on my account. I can see it. They didn't offer to send me a check after install. I don't have an install date yet.. still waiting for utility approval.

We touched base today with them as we are getting closer to scheduling. Our situation was different in that the new solar pricing would be less expensive but our PW pricing which was a solar/PW deal from back at beginning of year, along with reduced PW pricing for our third PW back in April and our Wildfire discount offered at beginning of year made it so we were better off with sticking to our current contract. They said they would be happy to give us a rebate(?) for about $2400 to account for the recent solar adjustment however which would be a check mailed after our PTO. We’re happy we’ll be getting some money back although we didn’t expect it.

We touched base today with them as we are getting closer to scheduling. Our situation was different in that the new solar pricing would be less expensive but our PW pricing which was a solar/PW deal from back at beginning of year, along with reduced PW pricing for our third PW back in April and our Wildfire discount offered at beginning of year made it so we were better off with sticking to our current contract. They said they would be happy to give us a rebate(?) for about $2400 to account for the recent solar adjustment however which would be a check mailed after our PTO. We’re happy we’ll be getting some money back although we didn’t expect it.

That's great to hear. I've been super happy with Tesla Solar since I first made my order.

Argh, I just saw the new pricing. I had a XL (15.12kW) system scheduled to be installed tomorrow morning (7am) and I've been trying to call to cancel but they're not open today.

There's no way I'm going to pay the original $37k price for a 15.12kW system when their new pricing for a 16.2kW is only $30k! I'm going to cancel and have them re-run permits. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to turn the installers away in the morning.

From what I can tell you all got $4k rebates, but that's still $3k price diff for a smaller system. What am I missing?

Argh, I just saw the new pricing. I had a XL (15.12kW) system scheduled to be installed tomorrow morning (7am) and I've been trying to call to cancel but they're not open today.

There's no way I'm going to pay the original $37k price for a 15.12kW system when their new pricing for a 16.2kW is only $30k! I'm going to cancel and have them re-run permits. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to turn the installers away in the morning.

From what I can tell you all got $4k rebates, but that's still $3k price diff for a smaller system. What am I missing?

I believe what they are doing for people in your situation is issuing a rebate once everything is installed. You’ll get effectively the same cost per watt.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Yeah, you’re in kind of a tough situation since the install is happening monday, and my installers, at least showed up at 7AM, which is before the customer service center will be open. As @pdx_m3s said, I believe the rebate is supposed to bring the price town to match the dollars per watt of the new system. However, if you are getting powerwalls it’s worth noting that there was a much bigger discount for adding powerwalls to a solar order with the old pricing. So if you are getting powerwalls you won’t get as big of a rebate because you will lose that big discount.

Yeah, you’re in kind of a tough situation since the install is happening monday, and my installers, at least showed up at 7AM, which is before the customer service center will be open. As @pdx_m3s said, I believe the rebate is supposed to bring the price town to match the dollars per watt of the new system. However, if you are getting powerwalls it’s worth noting that there was a much bigger discount for adding powerwalls to a solar older with the old pricing. So if you are getting powerwalls you won’t get as big of a rebate because you will lose that big discount.

I'm probably just going to turn them away because I dont want to take any chance that they do the install and then i find out i'm not eligible for the rebate for who knows what reason. I have the worst luck in making assumptions so I'm not taking any chances until I know iron clad what I'm getting into.

That said, do you know what the cost penalty is for cancelling?