Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: 3rd row seats now 'standard' (9/16)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to se that it is included on all cars, I guess someone calculate the cost of two production setups and the price of the seats, guess it was not much difference. :)

Alternative theory:

It is associated with the non-folding seats. Perhaps without a third row there would be standard folding seats, but those are not ready yet for... reasons. Maybe they will have more granularity if a more final seat setup appears later, say, mid-2016.

Alternative theory:

It is associated with the non-folding seats. Perhaps without a third row there would be standard folding seats, but those are not ready yet for... reasons. Maybe they will have more granularity if a more final seat setup appears later, say, mid-2016.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Although I suppose it might be and have nothing to do with the uproar last year when folks thought they they wouldn't be standard.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Although I suppose it might be and have nothing to do with the uproar last year when folks thought they they wouldn't be standard.

If this was about an uproar last year, why "launch" with non-standard third-row and only change minds now?

The third row appearing as standard could be associated with second row seats' mention moving from Signature only to standard. And if so, it could be associated with the wider mess.

My 3rd row seat will be optional. If it comes with one, I'll take it out. If it leaves a hole, I'll fabricate a cover for it.

I'm not being grumpy -- I always intended to do that when the seat was supposed to be standard, then I was happy I wouldn't have to remove the seat when it was made optional. Now we have gone full circle.

My 3rd row seat will be optional. If it comes with one, I'll take it out. If it leaves a hole, I'll fabricate a cover for it.

I'm not being grumpy -- I always intended to do that when the seat was supposed to be standard, then I was happy I wouldn't have to remove the seat when it was made optional. Now we have gone full circle.

I have changed my plan. If the 3rd row seats are standard, I'll remove the SECOND row seats, and the 3rd row becomes my 2nd row!

I have changed my plan. If the 3rd row seats are standard, I'll remove the SECOND row seats, and the 3rd row becomes my 2nd row!
I like it.
Next step buy a sheet of 3/4 plywood and cut it to fit inside the back for a flat floor. I bet that queen sized mattress would fit in there now. Major problem solved. :smile:

Then when I get tired of that look, I could weld the falcon wing doors closed and call it a Tesla sedan delivery.

That's the configuration my kids like the most in our old minivan... great for legroom!

Saying that I think there will be some serious ironmongery involved hidden below the floor, and I very much doubt you can just unbolt row 2.

Seats.png

Given the seatbelt is mounted at the top of the seat in the event of an accident many 000's of lbs will trying to pull the top of the seat forward. The seat and pedestal will act as a big lever at the base of the pedestal. This will make the torque forces pretty immense at the base trying to rip the seat out.

This could be offset somewhat by putting a large beam under the floor to turn the pedestal base from the primary load into the fulcrum. In such an approach, I'd expect the joint between pedestal and underfloor structure to be welded.

Of course this is wild speculation, but I can see there will have been lots of very tough engineering issues around these seats.

Just use the frunk.
I doubt you can fit everything there specially when you have beverages and usually 1-2 of those laundry baskets for the groceries.

Also it would require to park in with the back first which is not really what you would want to do on a supermarkt parking lot. And then it would suck to onload when you are in the garage at home.