Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 5mp camera upgrade possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to upgrade from the old 1.2mp cameras to the new ones? the 5mp ones
I saw a video recently (can't find it now though) which said that you could make a service request to have to the cameras upgraded for free (the video was from the UK and recorded the user's screen, showing this option) but I don't have this option in my app (yet). Here's hoping. It was mooted as part of the HW4 upgrade and presumably the newer cameras would help with Tesla Vision, both in terms of range and parking (more data = better)? But even if the cameras are upgraded, whether the existing hardware can support higher res cameras is a question, and I've not come across any reports that suggest the rest of the hardware could be upgraded, or additional cameras could be added. Still, the quality of the current batch of cameras is pretty awful, and given the car relies solely on them now, a free upgrade would be most welcome at the appropriate time.

I saw a video recently (can't find it now though) which said that you could make a service request to have to the cameras upgraded for free (the video was from the UK and recorded the user's screen, showing this option) but I don't have this option in my app (yet). Here's hoping. It was mooted as part of the HW4 upgrade and presumably the newer cameras would help with Tesla Vision, both in terms of range and parking (more data = better)? But even if the cameras are upgraded, whether the existing hardware can support higher res cameras is a question, and I've not come across any reports that suggest the rest of the hardware could be upgraded, or additional cameras could be added. Still, the quality of the current batch of cameras is pretty awful, and given the car relies solely on them now, a free upgrade would be most welcome at the appropriate time.
I wouldn’t get your hopes up. It is pretty clear there will not be a path for upgrading HW3 to HW4. I don’t see any benefit to upgrading your cameras unless you have the old repeater cameras with the blinker light bleed through issue.

Reactions: Yelobird
I wouldn’t get your hopes up. It is pretty clear there will not be a path for upgrading HW3 to HW4. I don’t see any benefit to upgrading your cameras unless you have the old repeater cameras with the blinker light bleed through issue.
The image quality is a bit poor, and given how cautious and unreliable my MYP is through the high street or at highway interchanges, more data may help. But then that requires better processors and hence, HW4. Oh well. No EV is perfect but I'm still glad I went for the Tesla over the Mustang. It's a joy!

06/2020 delivery. Old cameras had upper 2/3 of the view completely blown out by the blinker.
I have a MYP 23 and keep getting notifications at night that the cameras are blocked or obscured. Especially when driving down lanes with high hedges, and thus, little to no horizon. The cameras just don't seem to be able to see the darkness. The rear camera is good. When I view the cameras, I can see the hedges, but I still get the warnings.

I have a MYP 23 and keep getting notifications at night that the cameras are blocked or obscured. Especially when driving down lanes with high hedges, and thus, little to no horizon. The cameras just don't seem to be able to see the darkness. The rear camera is good. When I view the cameras, I can see the hedges, but I still get the warnings.
I get the same thing in my '23 Model 3, usually when it's very dark. I'm assuming this is some kind of software bug given how wide spread it is.

Reactions: dgnfly
I get the same thing in my '23 Model 3, usually when it's very dark. I'm assuming this is some kind of software bug given how wide spread it is.
I also get issues when the weather is inclement. The cameras often fog up. Surprising just how often navigate on autopilot disengages when it rains (especially at night). How does FSD get around these issues with the same equipment?