Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 5mp camera upgrade possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like only M3 has the new camera design. Some did report some MY with new style back in early November but I never saw anyone post a picture confirming it was the new style. I did see people say they had the new style until shown a photo of the old vs new and it ended up being the old style.

Can anyone with a MY post a photo confirming Tesla did fit some MY with the new style? I'm curious to know if they really did ship any with it.

All we know is no one has confirmed there is any difference in the actual camera sensor with this new housing (lens?) style.

It seems like only M3 has the new camera design. Some did report some MY with new style back in early November but I never saw anyone post a picture confirming it was the new style. I did see people say they had the new style until shown a photo of the old vs new and it ended up being the old style.

Can anyone with a MY post a photo confirming Tesla did fit some MY with the new style? I'm curious to know if they really did ship any with it.

All we know is no one has confirmed there is any difference in the actual camera sensor with this new housing (lens?) style.
I went to two different delivery centers last week, and every single Model Y had the older cameras. My friend's was built Dec '22 and still had the old style, so I can't imagine there are any Model Y with the newer version "in the wild".

One way to tell if the camera sensor is dramatically different will be if it can mitigate the "LED flicker" seen on other cars' daytime running lights. Tesla's FSD hardware 4.0 to use cameras with LED flicker mitigation

I can possibly try to test this this later today ...

I can confirm, the ‘new’ cameras on my Model 3 still have the LED light flicker situation.
Do you have light “bleed” at night with the turn signals. I think many of the older cars have light bleed with the repeater flashes
AB0DDC74-8EC8-4D4F-AB87-4EDFC1910DC2.jpeg

Reactions: beachmiles

I had the orange glare on the repeater cameras as well almost for a 2 years. Early this week, due to water inside the side cameras/blinkers, I did a service request, Tesla mobile service came yesterday with the new cameras. Orange glare gone. I can confirm ;-). The new cameras part number:
Lamp Asy, Side repeater camera Left hand(1495864-20-D)
Lamp Asy, Side repeater camera Right hand(1495865-20-D)
Both Replaced Under Warranty

gotta be possible basically computer upgrade
if harness can’t keep up the speed it can be changed. ppl who bought FSD beta for big bucks will get them.

besides more labor for technician which is good rather than working on brake and tires
i was hoping they would get 12 pixel cam lol

they updated those a while ago like last year. if you're under warranty you can claim that your side cameras dont work well and have poor visibility and need to be replaced? THe new ones have zero bleed
Yeah I believe I am way out of warranty as I have a 2018 model 3 performance.
Just curious if the 5 megapixel ones are out and that part number is that one.
As if I'm going to replace it I would want the best ones they currently got. Or is it a waste of money and can just get a lower revision on eBay and install them myself.

Any update on these 5mp cameras?
The blinker bleed is pretty bad at night on my 2018 M3P. I would love to upgrade the cameras to the best revisioned ones.
I had mine replaced, cost was ~$350 parts and labor, new cameras are dramatically better than the old at night when using the blinker. Highly recommend the swap, even if you have to pay for it. The price isn't bad for two camera/blinker assemblies and labor.

Reactions: davidalindsey