Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recommend you charge normally up to 90%, for better battery health long-term. If you must charge to a higher level you should drive your vehicle immediately after the charge completes.

???

Before posting about the obvious, please read my post carefully and specially note the context behind what I posted about. I was not advocating charging to 100% 🙄

Last edited:
This thread deserves a bump.

I recall reading it, over 2 years ago now, it got me a little bi-polar where I read a few posts of people having to replace their batteries, and I first worried my battery might die outside of warranty, and yet drooled over owning this newly created 350V 85/90 pack, (which most have concluded is simply 14/16ths of a 100 pack). Like many others, I now also have that pack, and I am ecstatic to say the least. Woke up at 2am last night I am so excited about retrieving my car and putting pedal to the aluminum and feeling the butt dyno! 😛

As most of us have observed in many other battery replacement threads the new replacement pack has gone from 1014116-00-A, to B, and now 1014116-00-C versions. If anyone has any valid speculation as to what these changes are please elaborate. Some questions/thoughts I have are:

• Perhaps the first ones (versions A/B) used reused cells/modules from salvaged 100's, and the C version are all new? (yes, the packs are labeled as "new" but @wk057 speculated they were using previously used cells/modules to build the pack, with new BMB/BMS components and updated venting etc. Most probably a failed 100 pack with a faulty module removed, along with another one, the knowledgeable ones assumed.) Perhaps they ran out of salvaged packs, and now C revision has all new cells/modules
  • Perhaps all versions have previously used cells/modules- with battery management board/system revisions only
  • Perhaps all versions had new cells and revisions were BMS changes or something else
  • Perhaps versions A were salvaged, but B and or C have newly built modules with old stock cells (NOS),
  • Maybe different chemistries in the cells? I am not as curious as many others following the company cell improvements in the model S 18650's over the years, but someone earlier in this thread suggested a possibility that version A to B might be a cell chemistry change, again maybe due to NOS supply.
Not sure what else might constitute a change, new fuse? updated plug? cooling? something else? but I don't think they would require a letter change for say a change in the colour of the penthouse.

I haven't seen any complaints in any of the revisions of this 90kWh 350V 1014116-00 pack, I optimistically presume whatever C means that this is as good as a 18650 can currently be, considering Tesla is using 10+ years of data and experience to construct it, within the possible constraints of the pack dimensions itself of course. I just hope this pack proves reliable long term, because I plan on owning this vehicle for a while yet. :)

I recall reading it, over 2 years ago now, it got me a little bi-polar where I read a few posts of people having to replace their batteries, and I first worried my battery might die outside of warranty, and yet drooled over owning this newly created 350V 85/90 pack, (which most have concluded is simply 14/16ths of a 100 pack). Like many others, I now also have that pack, and I am ecstatic to say the least. Woke up at 2am last night I am so excited about retrieving my car and putting pedal to the aluminum and feeling the butt dyno! 😛

As most of us have observed in many other battery replacement threads the new replacement pack has gone from 1014116-00-A, to B, and now 1014116-00-C versions. If anyone has any valid speculation as to what these changes are please elaborate. Some questions/thoughts I have are:

• Perhaps the first ones (versions A/B) used reused cells/modules from salvaged 100's, and the C version are all new? (yes, the packs are labeled as "new" but @wk057 speculated they were using previously used cells/modules to build the pack, with new BMB/BMS components and updated venting etc. Most probably a failed 100 pack with a faulty module removed, along with another one, the knowledgeable ones assumed.) Perhaps they ran out of salvaged packs, and now C revision has all new cells/modules
  • Perhaps all versions have previously used cells/modules- with battery management board/system revisions only
  • Perhaps all versions had new cells and revisions were BMS changes or something else
  • Perhaps versions A were salvaged, but B and or C have newly built modules with old stock cells (NOS),
  • Maybe different chemistries in the cells? I am not as curious as many others following the company cell improvements in the model S 18650's over the years, but someone earlier in this thread suggested a possibility that version A to B might be a cell chemistry change, again maybe due to NOS supply.
Not sure what else might constitute a change, new fuse? updated plug? cooling? something else? but I don't think they would require a letter change for say a change in the colour of the penthouse.

I haven't seen any complaints in any of the revisions of this 90kWh 350V 1014116-00 pack, I optimistically presume whatever C means that this is as good as a 18650 can currently be, considering Tesla is using 10+ years of data and experience to construct it, within the possible constraints of the pack dimensions itself of course. I just hope this pack proves reliable long term, because I plan on owning this vehicle for a while yet. :)

I don't have much to say regarding the differences between A, B and C revision of 1014116-00 packs, except:

The 1014116-00-A was labeled as 350v 85kWh (see post#1 of this thread) whereas B and C are labeled 350v 90kWh.

We do know the 1014116-00 B and C have ~87-88kWh nominal capacity.

I'm also thinking they have not had that many failed 100 packs to salvage the good modules out of in order to put them in the 1014116 packs, hence possibly new cells in the current C version.

Last edited:
I don't have much to say regarding the differences between A, B and C revision of 1014116-00 packs, except:

The 1014116-00-A was labeled as 350v 85kWh (see post#1 of this thread) whereas B and C are labeled 350v 90kWh.

We do know the 1014116-00 B and C have ~87-88kWh nominal capacity.

I'm also thinking they have not had that many failed 100 packs to salvage the good modules out of in order to put them in the 1014116 packs, hence possibly new cells in the current C version.
Weren’t the original packs 400VDC?

My 60 battery has a C suffix - 1020422-00-C. I think at the time this was the first to be labelled as a C, though I could be wrong

I'm not sure on the volume, but I have some pretty compelling evidence suggesting that Tesla intervenes after a collision of many 100 kWh vehicles and works with the customer on a buyout. This only seems to happen with 100 kWh vehicles.

I've had revision A and now have revision B in my car. I don't think the modules are from used 100 packs, as I've had my SMT on multiple revision B batteries and they all were 87.5 kWh nominal.

The difference between A and B was at least nominal capacity 85 vs 87.5 kWh. I haven't had the chance to have my SMT on any revision C packs yet.

Furthermore A and B have same max amps under full acceleration

On my way home with the new pack.
Yup, happy with the new pack :)
Supercharging for the third time on this trip past the cars rolled in the ditch that went off the icy Coquihalla.
Don’t know if it is software limited yet or not, but the 2014 85 pack had a maximum of 404 km, so looking at this range means no, but even at 100% it was still supercharging at 17 kw, said “calculating” and I had regen, which means there is some buffer there. (?)
6336305F-04CC-4933-8D13-2612509791D1.png

74D84349-94D7-4635-9F32-50F88E564FC1.jpeg

Supercharging for the third time on this trip past the cars rolled in the ditch that went off the icy Coquihalla.
Don’t know if it is software limited yet or not, but the 2014 85 pack had a maximum of 404 km, so looking at this range means no, but even at 100% it was still supercharging at 17 kw, said “calculating” and I had regen, which means there is some buffer there. (?)
View attachment 871483
View attachment 871484
Probably software lock pack.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
View attachment 871483
View attachment 871484
Lucky ducky! Our 11/13 built S85 is usually charging around 45-60kW around 45%. It's still way faster than level 2 charging but it's quite diminished from where things were pre June 2019 software update. As for range and whether or not your new pack is software limited, it appears to be uncorked. I believe the original 85 had a max range of 426km so your new pack with 454km looks like you have more than 86kWh nominal which is more than the original 85 pack. Hope it treats you well and you enjoy your time savings while Supercharging especially on longer trips.

I'm of the opinion that a top capped large pack is really valuable even if you never get access to the full range of the pack. You can charge to 100% without hurting the pack much, you can charge to 95% and not hurt the pack at all. You get much better charge rates over the whole available range. Overall it's a win. There are rare situations where it'd be nice to squeeze every bit of energy into and out of the pack, such as if you're driving through a supercharger free zone, but these days that seems to be routes like saskatoon to yorkton. Miles City MT to Watertown SD also looks pretty tough to do. The supercharger network's getting pretty built out these days, it seems.

View attachment 871483
View attachment 871484

Congrats. I suppose it's the 1014116-00-C. You are showing 454 km which is ~282 miles. That's fantastic for a P85D. The highest I've seen has been ~297 miles on a non-P model S, which I believe is uncapped.

So, it appears you are slightly capped at 282 miles for your P85D especially since you notice it is still supercharging at 17 kw at 99%and having regen at full charge. That's just great.

Enjoy it.

Congrats. I suppose it's the 1014116-00-C. You are showing 454 km which is ~282 miles. That's fantastic for a P85D. The highest I've seen has been ~297 miles on a non-P model S, which I believe is uncapped.

So, it appears you are slightly capped at 282 miles for your P85D especially since you notice it is still supercharging at 17 kw at 99%and having regen at full charge. That's just great.

Enjoy it.
Yeah quite happy. :) Honestly don't care whether I have a cap or not, I would rather making an extra stop instead of driving 250 miles/400 km non-stop.
I will clarify though: I got to 100% shown in the cluster, and it was still charging for 2 minutes more at 17kw; then it said "calculating" while still charging, then I unplugged before it stopped charging, so I don't know how many more km I might have got.

Reactions: Droschke
I'm of the opinion that a top capped large pack is really valuable even if you never get access to the full range of the pack. You can charge to 100% without hurting the pack much, you can charge to 95% and not hurt the pack at all. You get much better charge rates over the whole available range. Overall it's a win. There are rare situations where it'd be nice to squeeze every bit of energy into and out of the pack, such as if you're driving through a supercharger free zone, but these days that seems to be routes like saskatoon to yorkton. Miles City MT to Watertown SD also looks pretty tough to do. The supercharger network's getting pretty built out these days, it seems.

I agree. Having that buffer at the top definitely puts much less stress on the pack at 100% charge or near it since the charging stops below the typical 4.2v full cell charge.

My 1014116-0-C is capped with a full charge of 269-270 miles. That should be ~7.x kWh buffer at the top for me. I've full regen at 100% SoC and the charging curve is just great (supercharging at 35 kw at 99% SoC).

Last edited: