Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I bought a used 2016 Model S 75 from Tesla a month ago. The car has 80K miles on it and is in amazing condition except the charge level. Since it is a 75 it should charge to 249 miles give or take on a full charge. When I first got it, I fully charged it to see what capacity I would get, and it was showing 218. I was unhappy with that and a few other minor items and took it into Tesla for service and had a battery health check done. Of course, it came back that the battery was fine, with no issues. The tech said I should fully drain the battery to 20-30 miles and then fully charge it. Then run it down one more time to 20-30 miles and charge it full again. He also said they don’t replace batteries unless there is a warning or error message. So, I went home, and I completed the two full charge and discharge cycles and now I am down to 210 miles fully charged (yes, it got worse). That is a 16% degradation on a 3-year-old car. My question is at what point can I get my battery replaced, 190 miles, 150 miles?? I feel like this is almost false advertising when Tesla said it can drive 249 miles on a full charge. What can I do to improve this or does anyone out there have any experience that they can share on this issue? I am on the latest firmware and have done the 2 button reset as well. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: garrett5688
My answer here is a matter of speculation. As I understand it the battery is expected to last 8yrs with at least 70% function left. Degradation will depend on factors including how often it's supercharged, how fast it's accelerated and how long it's held at 100% charges and how often it's run down to very very low... and you have no access to that past info.
There may also be display changes depending on how the previous owner drove it to account for his 'style'??
I possible one answer may be to actually give it a long typical run and see how far you get in reality and note the wh/m averages to give yourself an idea of the true level of full charge.
The other approach would depend on the vagaries of Tesla's description when you bought the car..and the problem there is that no car is ever sold with genuine realistic fuel ranges. It also depends on local consumer laws as to what you may be able to do.
Another problem is that there is no easy way to determine how many KW actually goes into the car when being charged. You could measue it of domestic meters (if everything else is off) but it'd still be a guess as to losses converting AC to DC.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I have a 2016 S75 approaching 90,000 miles. I charge to ~223 at 100%. You're in the ballpark at 218, but 210 is a little low.

Tesla's battery warranty is clear - there is no warranty for degradation, and there's no "number" where you'll get a new battery. If and when the battery actually fails within 8 years, they will replace it.

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay
My 90D used to charge to if I remember correctly 294-296 miles, Now I get 269 so I lost 25 or so miles in 2 1/2 years which is similar to your loss. Tesla also confirmed my battery is fine and even if it lost 15% that would not be out of the ordinary and it would not be replaced unless the battery failed.

So, I bought a used 2016 Model S 75 from Tesla a month ago. The car has 80K miles on it and is in amazing condition except the charge level. Since it is a 75 it should charge to 249 miles give or take on a full charge. When I first got it, I fully charged it to see what capacity I would get, and it was showing 218. I was unhappy with that and a few other minor items and took it into Tesla for service and had a battery health check done. Of course, it came back that the battery was fine, with no issues. The tech said I should fully drain the battery to 20-30 miles and then fully charge it. Then run it down one more time to 20-30 miles and charge it full again. He also said they don’t replace batteries unless there is a warning or error message. So, I went home, and I completed the two full charge and discharge cycles and now I am down to 210 miles fully charged (yes, it got worse). That is a 16% degradation on a 3-year-old car. My question is at what point can I get my battery replaced, 190 miles, 150 miles?? I feel like this is almost false advertising when Tesla said it can drive 249 miles on a full charge. What can I do to improve this or does anyone out there have any experience that they can share on this issue? I am on the latest firmware and have done the 2 button reset as well. Thanks.

Your 2016 75 kWh capacity might have deliberately been capped by Tesla per the 2019.16.x update. This long thread is very current with no resolution to date and has all the information (you don't have to read over 139 pages and over 2700 posts!). There is also a post by one of the impacted owners which summarizes what the issue is. I recommend you post your case there with more data points and ask questions. There is also a Google sheet for the impacted owners to add/track the instances.

I have a 2016 S75 approaching 90,000 miles. I charge to ~223 at 100%. You're in the ballpark at 218, but 210 is a little low.

Tesla's battery warranty is clear - there is no warranty for degradation, and there's no "number" where you'll get a new battery. If and when the battery actually fails within 8 years, they will replace it.

See my post here. The word "sudden" points to the deliberate over-night capacity cap by Tesla.

Get a "scan my tesla" reader + app (there's a few of them I just name one and don't have an opinion on it specifically) and check what your battery voltage is at 100%. If the modules charge to ~4.2v at 100% you have normal degradation. If it isn't charging to 4.2v you've been clipped and tesla downgraded you secretly. That is theft and you'll want to join in the class action suit to make them repair or replace the batteries they are refusing to warranty. They're tight lipped over it but supposedly this is being done to keep fire-hazard batteries on the road that should be recalled as well as warranty serviced. If that's true the miles/performance they took are less important than the safety risks they are trying to hide.

Tesla will lie to your face if you're affected, which is why you need to do the work yourself and they had to be sued.

My Dec 2016 S75 at 100% is 224, obviously brand new would get you 249, look at the energy graph and depending how you drive you can be more efficient, I live in Miami with all the Hot weather and AC on , so I wouldn’t worry you have 8yr unlimited mile warranty worry at year 7 I think

Thank you guys for all the great reply's and info. I understand about the range of the car depends on a lot of factors and I am not concerned about that. I am concerned about the battery capacity not even being close to the 249 as advertised when I bought the car. I guess because I have 5 years left on the warranty I am not going to worry about it now. I can't imagine how low it will be in 4 years. I guess I need to hope for a fault so it will be replaced sooner.