Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Blackvue Dashcam (DR750S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. So this dashcam uses analog coax signal from the back camera? Why not use Wifi to link the back and front cameras? It would be much easier to install if it just required a single 12V wire. Maybe I'm missing something. Coax, really?
Yea I have the same question about these 2-ch cameras. I guess it's to cut cost. If you want dual channel with wifi, then you basically just need to buy 2 1-ch.

Of course, but for a X it's much easier to get power from the trunk than running the wire to the front cam.
Would be even easier if Tesla just put the darn things in in the first place. I honestly wonder what the cost would be for them to just put the wiring harness in there for us. Just a coax and power connection and maybe even a little mount for anybody that wanted to design a device that someone wanted to mount in the front and back of their car.

Hi all. So this dashcam uses analog coax signal from the back camera? Why not use Wifi to link the back and front cameras? It would be much easier to install if it just required a single 12V wire. Maybe I'm missing something. Coax, really?
Since you have to run power anyway, it's just easier to have this cable. But more importantly, I strongly believe that the quality would suffer if you were to transmit 1080p video over WiFi. At the very least, it would be more flakey than having a co-ax cable, and prone to RF interference.

Would be even easier if Tesla just put the darn things in in the first place. I honestly wonder what the cost would be for them to just put the wiring harness in there for us. Just a coax and power connection and maybe even a little mount for anybody that wanted to design a device that someone wanted to mount in the front and back of their car.

A better solution is if Tesla provided us access to the front and rear camera feeds. No need to have extra cabling, because the cameras already exist!

Reactions: David99
Since you have to run power anyway, it's just easier to have this cable. But more importantly, I strongly believe that the quality would suffer if you were to transmit 1080p video over WiFi. At the very least, it would be more flakey than having a co-ax cable, and prone to RF interference.

A better solution is if Tesla provided us access to the front and rear camera feeds. No need to have extra cabling, because the cameras already exist!

At least provide a constant power terminal near the rearview mirror. Or Tesla can just place a very small conduit with a piece of string so you can fish the wires with ease

Tesla is not going to design the car to make it easier for dashcam installation. Why would they? Their cars still sell with/without it.

There's a lot more Tesla should do/improve before thinking about dashcam installations.

B/W/R cameras, as far as I know. This would not be a popular solution.
I'm pretty sure the rear camera is color. There is no reason why the front camera couldn't be upgraded to color and the feed split into two. The raw color feed could be used as a dashcam and the 2nd feed could be sent to a B&W filter for AI processing. Then AP2.5 also has an internally facing camera that could be used for additional security (eg. Break-ins).

I'm not saying Tesla would ever do this, but it would be the most efficient way to have dashcam capabilities. Maybe someday someone will figure out how to hack the feed and provide a software based dashcam. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the rear camera is color. There is no reason why the front camera couldn't be upgraded to color and the feed split into two. The raw color feed could be used as a dashcam and the 2nd feed could be sent to a B&W filter for AI processing. Then AP2.5 also has an internally facing camera that could be used for additional security (eg. Break-ins).

I'm not saying Tesla would ever do this, but it would be the most efficient way to have dashcam capabilities. Maybe someday someone will figure out how to hack the feed and provide a software based dashcam. :rolleyes:
You think all AP2.5 cars have the internal camera? Interesting... we shall soon see!

Wow, less than 24 hours later, and this gets tweeted!
m04JI5z.png

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and JRoque