Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New breed of Model 3 drivers out there.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Im disappointed as well... for the longest time when I was supercharging and about 5 minutes from a complete charge, other owners would come over and offer a happy ending but that seems to have stopped in the last month or so.

Hmm, "happy ending" eh ... either you are taking the piss or you don't know urban slang ... I suspect the former.

Pretty sure people don't wave because they thought they joined an hyper exclusive club. When they see another Tesla it makes them feel like they are driving a honda civic. I wave, the more EVs on the road the better! I wave at other EVs too.

I dunno, here in Central California in the USA we haven't had much success waving to other Tesla drivers, whether they are M3 or S or X. When I had my 2006 Corvette, I almost always got waves back when I waved to other 'Vette drivers, and way back when I used to ride a motorcycle, I nearly always got waves back when waving to other motorcycle drivers, but that does not seem to happen with the Tesla community. At least not here. Too bad.

Like many other Tesla owners, I enjoy waving and getting responses. But one wave stands out above all the rest. As I was on a ramp about to enter an interstate highway in Colorado, a gorgeous Jaguar F-Type was on my back bumper eager to pass. As soon as we got on the highway, he stepped on it hard, making plenty of racket. As soon as he got beside me, I floored my P90D. Next time I saw him, which was a couple of seconds later, he was in my rearview mirror, still making plenty of noise. I took my foot off the accelerator. Once he was beside me again, he looked over at me, nodded his head, and ... waved. His wave was an acknowledgment that he had been crushed. He was a gentleman for sure. But his gorgeous Jag was all bark and no bite.

In a time of unprecedented pace of change, @Mr Miserable you sir are a pioneer. "Back in the day" used to be taken as "a few decades ago" or perhaps "half the speaker's lifetime ago". Now it can be clearly defined as "a week ago last Thursday". We live in interesting times.

I live in LA so if I waved at every Tesla owner I would get carpel tunnel and/or feel like I am the Queen of England lol.

I do try to wave at times but seriously, Teslas EVERYWHERE!!! It's become the new padiddle that we used to do with Volkswagen Bugs- if anyone remembers that? Tesla is the new padiddle :)

Well yes obviously, but this is not the US ... this a UK & Ireland thread .... that's why we focus on stuff here ... and the M3 is only out for a few months ..
Well, obviously, I am talking about my UK base. My post says "Us" not "U.S.".

Model S owners (including myself) have been around for 5+ years here in the UK - hence its interesting that Model 3 owners are considering themselves as early adopters....

Last edited:
Well, obviously, I am talking about my UK base. My post says "Us" not "U.S.".

Model S owners (including myself) have been around for 5+ years here in the UK - hence its interesting that Model 3 owners are considering themselves as early adopters....

M3 owners are early adopters of M3s in the UK.. that's all. All EV drivers, of all makes grouped together, are a tiny percentage of cars on the roads so remain a relatively rare breed.

Truly early electric adopters (of the modern age) who drove Leafs or Roadsters or early Model S cars like yourself should not be in any way devalued by the people who have recently joined that group. But it's new to us .. that's what I'm saying.

It's evident from the proportion of posts in this thread that the impact of the arrival of the M3 has been a significant one for this country. The population as a whole didn't really have Tesla on their radar in quite the same way before. If people knew of Tesla at all it would be as a high priced luxury vehicle that would be as distant and unattainable as a Ferrari ... and no Ferrari is going to change how people see their own car buying choices. The Model 3, despite it's still high price, just starts to break into what many more people may potentially be able to own, and it has clearly sparked the development of serious competitors from other manufacturers. People notice ... kids and adults watch youtube videos of a near standard Model S beating dedicated race cars on drag strip or of an electric car beating every ICE entrant at Pikes Peak. The kids really know the change is coming. I've seen 10 year olds tugging at a parent's sleeve and pointing at my car ... the parent looks a bit uncertain ... the kid maybe doesn't know it's the cheapest, slowest Tesla you can buy, but it's a Tesla! ... they jump up with excitement ... a bit like me.

Define "early". Us Model S owners have been here more than 5 years now.....

Happily.
Based on the "diffusion of innovation theory" early adopters represent around the first 14% of the population to try a new technology which I imagine puts us firmly still in the early adoption phase for BEV's.
But, if it makes you feel better, under that theory that makes you an "innovator" which represents around the first 2% of the population.
:)

Well you are on the UK/Ireland forum you know. Teslas are a little less common here so people still feel like an early adopter community. but thanks for the heads up. If I every visit a Bay Area I'll be sure to bear it in mind.

Here in the outback of Montana people wave at any car. You know, because it's a car, and where the hell did that come from? Ain't seen one of those in a while.........

Watch out because there is a new breed of Model 3 driver out there.
Back in the day, we all used to give a friendly wave to each other. I'm talking way back in August.
I still do, however I'm not getting the same level of response as I used to.
I suspect the community may have been penetrated by some riff-raff
Whatever next? AA patrolmen will stop saluting soon...

These kids today........why I tell you........