Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car, not on current version, how to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure your car is setup to your home WiFi. The updates are designed to only load via WiFi as they are quite large and takes time to download. I heard they will eventually download over cellular, but this is a last resort and you’ll probably end up waiting a long time.

Ours was loaded with v8 when v9 had been out for a little while. It should update pretty quickly once you have it on WiFi. I assume cars are not updated between when they leave the factory and when you take delivery, so whatever software was released to the factory at the time yours was built is what you get.

Thank you. Is it common for Tesla to deliver a car with an older version of software? I was looking forward to testing smart summon and enhanced auto pilot so it was a let down
Mine was a version or two behind. Also FYI autopilot doesn’t work immediately after delivery and takes a few days for the cameras to calibrate properly.

Ours was loaded with v8 when v9 had been out for a little while. It should update pretty quickly once you have it on WiFi. I assume cars are not updated between when they leave the factory and when you take delivery, so whatever software was released to the factory at the time yours was built is what you get.
Thanks for sharing that info. I linked it to WIFI last night so I’m hoping the software updated. I’ll know soon.

Thanks for sharing that info. I linked it to WIFI last night so I’m hoping the software updated. I’ll know soon.
Force it to search, select software on your screen and place the tab to Advance mode on the screen. TAP 5x on that Advance slide and it will start searching.

Once the update has loaded, another box will come up with a 3 minute count down. Just tap 3 times anywhere within that box to override the count down and to start the install process. Normally 21 to 35 minutes.

The screen will go dark and you will hear some sounds and noises from different areas of the car, this is normal. When the whole install is completed, the computer will reboot and you will see the update notes.

Fred

I am in the same boat. Got mine Thursday and still on V9.
It said i had an update Thursday night but even after connecting to wifi it never seemed to install. Next day after I got to my car after work I noticed it no longer said it had an update but still on V9.

I have tried the tap 5x on Advance slide and it didn't seem to help.

Force it to search, select software on your screen and place the tab to Advance mode on the screen. TAP 5x on that Advance slide and it will start searching.
This rumor has been 100% debunked. Tapping it 5x or holding it down does absolutely nothing.

The only solutions are:

1. Get it on a wireless network and wait.
2. Take it to a service center and ask them to update it.

This rumor has been 100% debunked. Tapping it 5x or holding it down does absolutely nothing.

The only solutions are:

1. Get it on a wireless network and wait.
2. Take it to a service center and ask them to update it.
Debunked? Rumor? Worked for me and others.. it forces An update search, and it will say that. “Searching for update” it found the update and it was ready for download. next time I will recorded it for ya.

Fred

• Disagree
Reactions: r0xx0r and Runt8
Tap Advanced 5 times to force car to check for latest software update [Update: debunked, not true]

But let's hear from the OP. He shouldn't do anything more than set the toggle to Advanced and then wait.

Watch the video the person recorded. Without touching the screen, the car was already checking for a software update. That happens when you go to the Software page and set it to Advanced. Pressing the advanced button does nothing new, it purely timing that you touching it started the download. If your car's VIN is in the list to get the update, the car will get it.

The most likely scenario is that those who reported that it worked have confirmation bias. They simply saw the car get the update at the time they were touching the screen and interpreted it as a valid method.

Last edited:
On a mass roll out, I usually have to wait 3 weeks before I see anything. After reading about the 5x tap. I went to check on this. I sat in the car and when I went to the Software screen it gave me the same message “software is up to date” then I proceeded with the 5 Taps and this is when it went into a probably 30 -45 second search and it found it.

Just passing on my experience. Looks like the next big Rollout 2019.40 with the tweaked windshield wiper fix. Hope to record this 5x tap function then.

Fred

On a mass roll out, I usually have to wait 3 weeks before I see anything. After reading about the 5x tap. I went to check on this. I sat in the car and when I went to the Software screen it gave me the same message “software is up to date” then I proceeded with the 5 Taps and this is when it went into a probably 30 -45 second search and it found it.

Just passing on my experience. Looks like the next big Rollout 2019.40 with the tweaked windshield wiper fix. Hope to record this 5x tap function then.

Fred
Didn’t work for me. Especially getting V10. Had to take it to the service center for them to side load it.

for those who just got their cars with V8 or V9........did you check the door panel to see manufacturing date? I have a sneaking suspicion those cars were manufactured and sent to holding, waiting for a buyer then sent to the dealer for delivery......it just does not make sense that new cars coming off the line would have 2 versions of software in the rear....even a ver 9 when all manufacturing past April 2019 has HW 3 and current software off the line.....if car says mfg date is Oct 19, I think you shod have V10....not V8 or V9.....although I might be wrong

this does does not sound right to me

for those who just got their cars with V8 or V9........did you check the door panel to see manufacturing date? I have a sneaking suspicion those cars were manufactured and sent to holding, waiting for a buyer then sent to the dealer for delivery......it just does not make sense that new cars coming off the line would have 2 versions of software in the rear....even a ver 9 when all manufacturing past April 2019 has HW 3 and current software off the line.....if car says mfg date is Oct 19, I think you shod have V10....not V8 or V9.....although I might be wrong

this does does not sound right to me
Just because the car was made this month doesn't mean the electronics which come with the firmware preinstalled were.
More than likely Tesla has thousands of electronics packages sitting around with firmware from the date they were made. They get installed in new cars, updated over the air.