Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car Without New Software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Tesla Model S. To my surprise, it is running v 8.0, 2.50.180, which has no autosteering etc. (or else something else is broken). Is this normal? I tried to ask my delivery person to tell me when I would/could get the latest software update, but she said she didn't know. It could take weeks. Is this normal, too?

it seems a bit strange. technology software updates usually get pushed out roughly simultaneously, after the testers are done. is tesla randomly updating cars?

/iaw

Check with your service center if there's one nearby. They have the ability to update the car.

Normally they are only supposed to do firmware updates when the car is in for service but you might explain your situation and see if they'll do it for you.

...software updates usually get pushed out roughly simultaneously...

As stated by Patrick W, Service Center can manually update yours to a latest firmware.

"simultaneously" in Tesla may mean weeks so I wouldn't be surprised. They do it worldwide over-the-air but who got it first and last is still a mystery, even in your case, brand new car.

Ideally, they should have manually pushed latest firmware to a new car but I guess that is not as economical as let a new owner wait for the automatic over-the-air update.

I just received my Tesla Model S. To my surprise, it is running v 8.0, 2.50.180, which has no autosteering etc. (or else something else is broken). Is this normal? I tried to ask my delivery person to tell me when I would/could get the latest software update, but she said she didn't know. It could take weeks. Is this normal, too?

it seems a bit strange. technology software updates usually get pushed out roughly simultaneously, after the testers are done. is tesla randomly updating cars?

/iaw

Hey congrats man! I just recently got my car not too long ago. I was in the same boat...you won't get your update up front. I had to drive around 50-100 miles so until I got a message about update. Some people recommend going on Wifi so you'll get it sooner. Even once you got the software downloaded, it will take some time for the cameras to calibrate in order to have auto steer and TACC.

I'd say it's pretty normal. The factory puts in known to be stable firmware, not firmware that just came out the day before. When a new release is known to be stable, then they will switch.

• Funny
Reactions: ThisIsTrue
from my telsa rep: Unfortunately, for this specific update for Auto Pilot our individual service centers are unable to push this software out to you. The rollout of major updates can typically take a few weeks as the updates are released in batches to ensure complete and timely downloads to each vehicle. These updates are handled by our engineers from the factory and should be sending them out soon.

never mind that this is odd---why do you need to release in batches to ensure complete and timely downloads???

my car is indeed on wifi in the garage, but it is not coming. my software is not only out a few days, it has been out for about a month. the update should have been out for quite a while---a few weeks by now.

If you have a new car I think your cameras will need calibration before you can even use the new software. Drive your vehicle and get used to it without these features. When you get your update then you'll be better able to use those features. I'm sure you'll get it soon because Tesla is pushing updates via LTE as well (wifi is just usually sooner).