Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Center Console notice email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that the old $650 center console has been available for 2 years now, anyone who has wanted one has had plenty of opportunity to get one. Moreover, it sounds like all new deliveries are coming with the new version as a standard item. That's actually more like a price decrease. The only ones who are negatively impacted by this price increase are those who recently received their cars before the new version became standard and did not order the older version before it became unavailable.

I don't feel so bad for paying $650 for the older console now. The new one isn't 2x the price better than the old one IMO.
Of course, the folks who are getting a complimentary included center console are the lucky ones - but end of this month prices are going to go up anyway. This week might just be the best week to order a new Model S. You'll get all the upgrades, at the current price.

Reactions: Chaz
  • Funny
Reactions: Festerfeet
There's no way that the "Retractable rear cup" can mean anything other than rear seat cup holders. They couldn't have meant the two in in the storage bin as those are forward, not rear, of the armrest cupholders.

I really like my current factory Tesla center console but if this new one really has two rear cupholders, I might have to spring for it.

Anyone want to buy my piano black factory console for $650? It's in perfect condition. No scratches or wear of any kind.

I don't feel so bad for paying $650 for the older console now. The new one isn't 2x the price better than the old one IMO.
Of course, the folks who are getting a complimentary included center console are the lucky ones - but end of this month prices are going to go up anyway. This week might just be the best week to order a new Model S. You'll get all the upgrades, at the current price.
Exactly what I was thinking when I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new Model S. And now the wait begins!

I suspect the cost is so high because it replaces the entire legacy center console/arm rest with one large integrated set up plus the installation. In the pictures provided (thanks for those, btw ;)) above I cannot see any seams and it appears they do not re-use the old armrests portion. Maybe? Just my speculation

^^ @Chaz (because I can't figure out how to quote part of your message)

The prev. console was more or less the same as this console. The only difference I see is the lid that opens (closer to the back of the car). The charging area looks slightly different, but looks like the iPhone attachment will cost more.

The only reason it's $1250 is because people will pay $1250 for it. The previous center console was wildly popular. I thought it was overpriced at $650, the actual cost price of that could not have been more than $50. The cost price of this new console can't be more than $60. But y'know, Elon's gotta eat so whatever! Plus it's going towards a good cause, so I don't mind.

I think everyone may be missing something with respect to the missing retractable rear seat cup holders.

The letter sent to those new owners who had just taken delivery is describing a $1250 option that would be added to their car that was built without a center console. There is no reason to believe that the description of this item applies to the center console that is being provided at no charge right now to current deliveries. Yes, the letter states that the new model will "become the standard" but that doesn't mean the consoles showing up in cars are that final version of the console. There could have been an earlier version that did not include the retractable rear seat cup holders, and Tesla decided to move the inventory on those, before the price increase, to the customers that were getting the console essentially for free. Or the text of the letter could be playing a little fast and loose with the specifics, and the consoles added during production may never include the rear seat cup holders, while the $1250 version of the console does.

I'm going to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt on this one, and assume that the first person to pay $1250 for one of these consoles finds that it has the retractable rear seat cup holders.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max* and MikeBur
I think everyone may be missing something with respect to the missing retractable rear seat cup holders.

The letter sent to those new owners who had just taken delivery is describing a $1250 option that would be added to their car that was built without a center console. There is no reason to believe that the description of this item applies to the center console that is being provided at no charge right now to current deliveries. Yes, the letter states that the new model will "become the standard" but that doesn't mean the consoles showing up in cars are that final version of the console. There could have been an earlier version that did not include the retractable rear seat cup holders, and Tesla decided to move the inventory on those, before the price increase, to the customers that were getting the console essentially for free. Or the text of the letter could be playing a little fast and loose with the specifics, and the consoles added during production may never include the rear seat cup holders, while the $1250 version of the console does.

I'm going to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt on this one, and assume that the first person to pay $1250 for one of these consoles finds that it has the retractable rear seat cup holders.

+1. Seems like transition state. We know Tesla has a retractable rear cup holder solution (Model X) that is likely compatible with Model S. And remember that right before autopilot hardware was released, there was a small subset of cars that had the new turn signal stalk but without autopilot. Most likely the rumored price increase will get the new center console and the X-style retractable rear cupholders.

Reactions: Andyw2100