Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New, cheaper Level 2 charger from Bosch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea if this will work with the Model S?

Bosch Unveils $450 Electric Vehicle Charger

bosch-ev-charger.jpg

At the speed that thing goes you're better off just putting in a NEAM 14-50 unless you have need of an EVSE for a non-Model S vehicle. I paid about $700 for TWO NEMA 14-50 sockets installed in my garage. I imagine that you'll have some expense associated with installing the EVSE.

I am not sure I understand. The UMC is $500, charges at 40 amps and has a nice little button on it to open the charge door (and, I forgot, does not require a 1772 adaptor). I guess if you are looking for one to do both your Leaf and a MS it would make sense.

I am not sure I understand. The UMC is $500, charges at 40 amps and has a nice little button on it to open the charge door (and, I forgot, does not require a 1772 adaptor). I guess if you are looking for one to do both your Leaf and a MS it would make sense.

Well, there are a lot of people who are in such a situation, so this makes sense. The slower rate (say down to 6kW) isn't an issue since its still provides plenty for overnight charging. I have a different wall mounted J1772 unit and works great for us (MS and Volt). Who wants to keep plugging and unplugging different cables? I know its limited, but there are a couple of threads about UMC issues.

And then there's this. The UMC isn't UL listed for those that care about that or are in situations where that matters (liability in shared spaces).

My mother in law lives about 200 miles away. We visit her with some regularity. Right now we just take the gasser since they haven't announced/opened the Texas Superchargers yet.

Anyway, she drives a Volt and just charges from a 110 volt/12 amp plug in her garage. Works for her with what they drive. Not so much for my S. I was thinking of getting her one of the Bosch devices but am confused as to the difference between the 15 amp and 30 amp. Neither is going to be as fast as my 12-50 I would assume. I'm just curious about the charge rates between the two. I would like to at least get a full tank in 12 hours. Not sure if the 15 amp is going to accomplish that. The Tesla website doesn't really address using public charging stations.

My mother in law lives about 200 miles away. We visit her with some regularity. Right now we just take the gasser since they haven't announced/opened the Texas Superchargers yet.

Anyway, she drives a Volt and just charges from a 110 volt/12 amp plug in her garage. Works for her with what they drive. Not so much for my S. I was thinking of getting her one of the Bosch devices but am confused as to the difference between the 15 amp and 30 amp. Neither is going to be as fast as my 12-50 I would assume. I'm just curious about the charge rates between the two. I would like to at least get a full tank in 12 hours. Not sure if the 15 amp is going to accomplish that. The Tesla website doesn't really address using public charging stations.

This will help a little
Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

The 15A (if it allows you to charge at 15A) would take over 60 hours from empty while charging at 30A would get you there in maybe 14 hours.

Note: the link from Tesla is for 110V so appreciate people pointing that out.

Last edited:
This will help a little

The 15A (if it allows you to charge at 15A) would take over 60 hours from empty while charging at 30A would get you there in maybe 14 hours.

I think you've missed something there. Isn't the 16amp Bosch unit still 240v? The calculations on the Tesla page assume 15amp at 110v.

I'm not saying the 15amp Bosch unit is super fast but if you want to figure out how fast that would charge just plug into your NEMA 14-50 and turn down the amperage in the car to 15 or 16.

I think you've missed something there. Isn't the 16amp Bosch unit still 240v? The calculations on the Tesla page assume 15amp at 110v.

I'm not saying the 15amp Bosch unit is super fast but if you want to figure out how fast that would charge just plug into your NEMA 14-50 and turn down the amperage in the car to 15 or 16.

You're right. So would that drop it to around 24 hours or so? Excellent idea.

My mother in law lives about 200 miles away. [...] I was thinking of getting her one of the Bosch devices but am confused as to the difference between the 15 amp and 30 amp. Neither is going to be as fast as my 12-50 I would assume. I'm just curious about the charge rates between the two. I would like to at least get a full tank in 12 hours. Not sure if the 15 amp is going to accomplish that.

No, the 15A charger wouldn't accomplish that, but I think the 30A would. My prior experiences are 22mph charging at 240V/24A and 28mph charging at 240V/32A, so I'd expect roughly 25-26 mph from a 240V/30A charger. If you drive from your house straight to hers, you'll probably need 7-8 hours to do recharge back to a standard charge (8-9 to get back a full range charge if you're going back home the next day).

Based on my experience, each round trip would save you about $100 in fuel costs. Doesn't take many trips to pay for the charger and the installation costs.

This will help a little

Note: the link from Tesla is for 110V so appreciate people pointing that out.

I don't think that's right at all, though I appreciate the effort. A 110 volt outlet takes about 65 hours. This a Level 2 charger at 240 volts.

I am no electricity expert, but I can google:

Electrical power (Watts) = current (amps) x voltage (volts) [current is like flow rate and voltage is like water pressure]

So, a normal plug is:

110 volts x 15 amps [at least mine are 15] = 1650 watts
So 85,000 kWt-h battery / 1,650 * 80% (charging efficiency which actually varies by amp due to heat losses but lets assume a flat 80) = 64 hours

NEMA 14-50 (and combining equations):
85,000 / (240 x 40 x 80%) = 11 hours

Bosch 15:
85,000 / (240 x 15 x 80%) = 30 hours

Bosch 30:
85,000 / (240 x 30 x 80%) = 15 hours

I don't know how accurate my calcs are though they certainly pass the smell test. Maybe someone else a little more versed with this can weigh in...

Last edited:
I don't think that's right at all, though I appreciate the effort. A 110 volt outlet takes about 65 hours. This a Level 2 charger at 240 volts.

I am no electricity expert, but I can google:

Electrical power (Watts) = current (amps) x voltage (volts) [current is like flow rate and voltage is like water pressure]

So, a normal plug is:

110 volts x 15 amps [at least mine are 15] = 1650 watts
So 85,000 kWt-h battery / 1,650 * 80% (charging efficiency which actually varies by amp due to heat losses but lets assume a flat 80) = 64 hours

NEMA 14-50 (and combining equations):
85,000 / (240 x 40 x 80%) = 11 hours

Bosch 15:
85,000 / (240 x 15 x 80%) = 30 hours

Bosch 30:
85,000 / (240 x 30 x 80%) = 15 hours

I don't know how accurate my calcs are though they certainly pass the smell test. Maybe someone else a little more versed with this can weight in...

They look spot on to me. Your best/cheapest bet might be to ask to install a NEAM 14-50 at your MIL's place. She won't be able to use it for her Volt I don't think but it's a small plug and very unlikely to get in her way.