Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Chill / Normal" acceleration modes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really need on ramp merging and merging traffic accelerating into your blindspot mode. Not interested in being a dweeb, but some cars come at the time of merging, and just don't give in and let you merge on freeway, requiring, well what tesla does best...

Chill mode reminds me of my 2010 Prius, which had Eco and Power modes. They only differed by the accelerator pedal position map, not by really more power in Power mode. Eco mode did improve MPG over Power mode but not by much.

This new mode should yield some significant energy savings (and range extension). I haven’t received .44 yet, but I’ll look into that when I do.

Can't believe this gem of a comment was missed.

WRT Power

1 - Can NEVER have enough.
2 - Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Family just has to accept 0-30 in 1.5 is the new norm of how automobiles work.

Second day of ownership having it all right there saved me on a bonehead left turn. Pedal to floor or would have lost back half of car. Chill mode would or could have left me chilling alright.

Really agree with many this is sounding great for when a car moves out of your way and there is let's say more cars 1/4 mile ahead. This should minimize the jackrabbit feeling to get to those cars. Plan on using with in-laws and bookworms.

Reactions: MXWing
Second day of ownership having it all right there saved me on a bonehead left turn. Pedal to floor or would have lost back half of car. Chill mode would or could have left me chilling alright.

Really agree with many this is sounding great for when a car moves out of your way and there is let's say more cars 1/4 mile ahead. This should minimize the jackrabbit feeling to get to those cars. Plan on using with in-laws and bookworms.

The most survivable accidents are the ones you avoid and I've done that plenty with cars with the power that is capable of escaping dangerous situations.

Personally I find it irresponsible to gimp your vehicle on purpose but to each their own.

The only right way to handle acceleration is adjusting the amount of pressure you place on the pedal.

Tried it and assume it’s for the timid among us. I want the tire-burning mode not the neuter-the-car mode. Very odd upgrade.
Another example of wasting their time on useless stuff.

I'd rather they spend time and fix the problems I've had since getting my S 2 years ago, i.e. radio comes off mute when a call ends 100% of the time. Comes off mute about 50% of the time when I open or close the door. Recently started coming off mute when I'm simply driving. All I keep hearing is "It's a known problem". Well ok, how about fixing them.

Also, while I've chosen the Control option to extend the door handles when in Park, it's never worked.

But, I do have Rainbow Road and Cowbells.

Is Chill coming to us RWD drivers? I've only seen confirmations from dual motor people so far.

I got it today on the 75 RWD, its fine, car is a tad smoother to accelerate even if you punch it, I guess for normal commute with passengers, it might be nice to have a more fluid response which is not as "punchy". But tbh, the 75 RWD is not that blitzkrieg in nature compared to the new 75D's so I'm mostly indifferent to this update.

Just got the update overnight on 75 and tested this morning - moderate rain with cruise on. It does what it advertised, slower acceleration to fill the gap between the car in the front, however if it is wide open (next lane) then the acceleration is faster but not like slamming on it. I still think the braking can be smoother, there is no need to hard brake even if the gap fall short of the limit unless there is imminent threat of crash.

It doesn't work this way really. It's why the P85 has about the same rated efficiency as the S85. EVs aren't like ICE where a V12 will invariably consume more gas than a V8 in the same car.
That is an inapt analogy. It takes more energy to accelerate rapidly than gently, no matter the motor type. Chill will prevent lead-footed starts, so will conserve energy in the same way that gentle acceleration will reduce fuel consumption of that V8 or the V12.

Personally I find it irresponsible to gimp your vehicle on purpose but to each their own.

The only right way to handle acceleration is adjusting the amount of pressure you place on the pedal.
Yes, for you and for many others, but there are people, including some who have posted in regen threads on TMC, who seem to be unwilling or incapable of feathering the accelerator pedal. For them, Chill will make for a more comfortable riding experience for their passengers.

• Helpful
Reactions: bswn1