Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CPO Policy Experiences (non-refurbished)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's CPO policy has changed drastically and unfortunately I've missed out on the "CPO heyday" by a mere month. If you're like me, you've been scouring the internet for more information about this terrible sounding CPO policy and are curious about other's experiences. I've found a few other threads pertaining to individual experiences, but tracking multiple threads is becoming tedious and is not very scalable once newer CPO buyers come forward. Hopefully here we can gather a consensus (based on actual results, not assumptions) as to whether future buyers should vote for or against this new policy with their dollar.

If you're just learning about the new CPO policy, here's the article that is floating around: UPDATE: Tesla Changes CPO Program - Cars Mechanically Inspected. TLTR: Under the old policy, Telsa reconditioned their used cars and there was more reason to have faith in buying the car sight-unseen. But now under the new CPO policy, Tesla is only guaranteeing that used cars will only be washed and "mechanically inspected". This really leaves a wide range of results to be expected.

I'm curious to see delivery photos, quality assessment (both aesthetically and mechanically), and how the rep handled your concerns, specifically for the non-refurbished Model S. I'm about to press the Purchase button once I find the right MS at the right price. I'll share my experience as well once it's delivered.

Reactions: RatherBeDriving
@noah82 and @bluhorshue's stories are at the top of this forum and contain photos and details of the entire non-refurbished CPO experience.

I reserved P04086 '13 P85 for $38.5k (the 10th cheapest P85 ever sold under EV-CPO's watch) on April 25th. My avatar is one of the photos Tesla sent me. I'll be taking delivery this Friday. Expect a full experience thread from me sometime this weekend.

I just took the leap! I put down my deposit for a 2015 MS P85D with 14k miles. Air Suspension, Ultra High Fidelity Audio, AP1, Pano-roof, free supercharging, black outside and inside. The $1k deposit was charged and I just completed 5 out of 6 tasks of the purchase process.

Prior to purchasing, I requested photos of the vehicle a couple times but did not get a response. It's been about a week since my first photo request. I'm not sure what the turn around time is for these photos, but it's slowww, and I didn't receive a call from a CPO/Used Tesla rep when requested. Hopefully things change once my deposit is accepted.

My group of friends are all Tesla "fan-boys" per say, but none of us actually own a Tesla lol. For the longest time nobody in my group wanted to pull the trigger and make the purchase. This was for many reasons, mostly due to price, but now even more due to the "questionable" CPO/Used policy. I was the one who wanted it bad enough to take a chance. I'm now the guinea pig for my buddies, and now for readers on this forum.

I'm expecting the best, but prepared for the worst. I really hope this goes smoothly.

To be continued...

Attachments

• Tasks.jpg
    Tasks.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 155
I looked into an 85D. Received photos with small damage. They will not refurbish.
What I find weird is the photos came from a link to “Manheim”, they are a car auction house, with not very good reviews around my area.
Is tesla auctioning there cpo’s?
Is this standard procedure?

CPO prices are trending downwards pretty fast. Now you can get P85D in low 60s.
Can confirm, just took delivery of a 2015 85D with 20k miles for 62k. They're out there! As for the car itself, it is a black on black car and for sure WAS cleaned up externally and internally really well (saw trace wax in the panels spaces). Damage was nothing crazy, some super small light rock hits on the nose cone and front bumper, a slight 1 inch scratch or two on mirrors, (shrub scratches maybe?) no big deal. Interior was flawless.

What we did catch though was the the chrome underneath the Tesla logo (at the very bottom of the T) on the grill had started to peel, about half inch. Unfortunately, this wasn't falling under the warranty as it was deemed cosmetic, but the Service Center Manager came over, looked at it, checked local inventory and quoted me the replacement grill part for a reduced price and no labor cost (225 from 400). 15 minutes later, the part is on the car ready to go, and I'm still getting the new owner run down. I was kind of shocked that the work was done that fast, good on them! In my rush to get the issue fixed and onto training, I completely forgot to take a photo of the damage, but if i look at the dealer provided photo even here, unless you're looking for it, it's easily missed (red circle).
2.jpg

My CPO advisor was in contact with me every day up to today from day 1 (exactly 10 days ago), always returned my calls same day or texted me back answers. I'm kind of bummed that the guy who helped me get everything sorted wasn't at the service center (a good 200 miles north), but the service center and delivery advisor (and staff) were on point and a delight work with. I guess it's time for a road trip for a handshake (and just because)?!

I looked into an 85D. Received photos with small damage. They will not refurbish.
What I find weird is the photos came from a link to “Manheim”, they are a car auction house, with not very good reviews around my area.
Is tesla auctioning there cpo’s?
Is this standard procedure?

I really hope that they do auction off cars that are not in good shape if they are not going to refurbish them.

This way Tesla customers have some pace of mind in expecting a car in decent condition...

Did you ask or did they disclose if the car has been "throttled" due SC abuse by the previous owner? Any change you can get it on a SC to check charging rates before you buy?
I forgot to ask my DA, but no Supercharger throttling observed here. I hit up the SC on the way home, found a bad stall, moved over to a different one and charged up no problem. By pure luck, two mobile Tesla techs pulled up to the SC station and confirmed a bad stall; Said "These are getting way more use than originally anticipated" (Good to hear, right?!). Also, I found out on the drive home my car was in "Loaner Mode" - Speed capped at 85 MPH, and slight acceleration limits. A quick phone call to remove. Had no idea/no indication of loaner mode, but since the car was in 'Tesla storage', makes sense as to why (backup car in case someone needs it I suppose).

Reactions: dhrivnak
I really hope that they do auction off cars that are not in good shape if they are not going to refurbish them.

This way Tesla customers have some pace of mind in expecting a car in decent condition...
I hope they auction those cars too.

What bothered me was that the link for photos of the car was sent by tesla. I’m a retail customer speaking to Tesla about a cpo, why the link of the photos is to manheim, a wholesaler.

Not a great first experience with my 2015 CPO. Went to pick up the car and there was
  • a crack in the rear bumper that couldn't reasonably be seen from the photos they sent,
  • the alignment is pulling to the right, the car is filthy,
  • they forgot to give me one of the charging adapters, and
  • they asked me to pay to enable auto pilot even though I was told it was included in the price of the car (and that it wouldn't be enabled before I arrived).
I reached out to my sales advisor and I'll update when they respond.
Edit: Here are two photos to give you an idea:
Passenger seat.jpg
Cracked bumper.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Not a great first experience with my 2015 CPO. Went to pick up the car and there was
  • a crack in the rear bumper that couldn't reasonably be seen from the photos they sent,
  • they asked me to pay to enable auto pilot even though I was told it was included in the price of the car (and that it would be enabled before I arrived).
Passenger seat.jpg
Cracked bumper.jpg

Can confirm, just took delivery of a 2015 85D with 20k miles for 62k. They're out there! As for the car itself, it is a black on black car and for sure WAS cleaned up externally and internally really well (saw trace wax in the panels spaces). Damage was nothing crazy, some super small light rock hits on the nose cone and front bumper, a slight 1 inch scratch or two on mirrors, (shrub scratches maybe?) no big deal. Interior was flawless.

What we did catch though was the the chrome underneath the Tesla logo (at the very bottom of the T) on the grill had started to peel, about half inch. Unfortunately, this wasn't falling under the warranty as it was deemed cosmetic, but the Service Center Manager came over, looked at it, checked local inventory and quoted me the replacement grill part for a reduced price and no labor cost (225 from 400). 15 minutes later, the part is on the car ready to go, and I'm still getting the new owner run down. I was kind of shocked that the work was done that fast, good on them! In my rush to get the issue fixed and onto training, I completely forgot to take a photo of the damage, but if i look at the dealer provided photo even here, unless you're looking for it, it's easily missed (red circle).
View attachment 301692

My CPO advisor was in contact with me every day up to today from day 1 (exactly 10 days ago), always returned my calls same day or texted me back answers. I'm kind of bummed that the guy who helped me get everything sorted wasn't at the service center (a good 200 miles north), but the service center and delivery advisor (and staff) were on point and a delight work with. I guess it's time for a road trip for a handshake (and just because)?!

the nose cone takes less than a few minutes to pop off and install. it would be a total scam if they tried to charge you for it lol

• they asked me to pay to enable auto pilot even though I was told it was included in the price of the car (and that it wouldn't be enabled before I arrived).
Passenger seat.jpg
Cracked bumper.jpg

It doesnt look cared for. Maybe you should just reject it rather than take the chance. Cosmetic issues and body damage often indicate a careless owner.

I just submitted my CPO deposit in yesterday (friday) and only now starting reading all the horror stories. what have i gotten myself into...

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tesla. But it is in rough shape. Today a door panel came off and luckily I was able to pop it back in. Think about it this way - you know when you drop off your rental car and they have a 16 year old kid clean it out, put fuel in it, and pull it back around for the next customer? Imagine that 16 year old just had eight shots of vodka, is blind, and hates cars. That's the sort of attention to detail your CPO may get.