Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New feature identification / tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered my Y in the U.K. and am aware of a couple of new features or enhancements that are coming down the line and would like to know at what point these will be introduced.

Tesla seems to be as tight-lipped as Apple when it comes to announcing new features or updates and, since there are no (published) version or revision numbers associated with updates to the spec, it seems to be difficult to know what features your car will be have until it’s delivered.

My question, therefore, is whether there are any reliable unofficial channels where you can find out what features/updates are rolling out to new builds at specific plants, such as Berlin? e.g. I’ve heard mention from 3rd party sources of new seats and a softer suspension for the standard range Y that are in the pipeline.

I’d also like to know the point at which Berlin will start shipping Ys to the U.K. I’ve seen reports on various YouTube videos which are unofficial and possibly not accurate but those sources are possibly unreliable and speculative.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Tesla seems to be as tight-lipped as Apple when it comes to announcing new features or updates and, since there are no (published) version or revision numbers associated with updates to the spec, it seems to be difficult to know what features your car will be have until it’s delivered.

The problem is, even if you hear about some unreleased feature or other, there is no guarantee it will be in the car you receive. Since most of this stuff is unannounced, tesla is under no real obligation to include it for everyone. They tend to use up parts, even after people start receiving cars with new stuff.

A very recent example of this is "matrix headlights". In the model 3s, the cars started coming with them, then not coming with them, then only some of them coming with them, etc. I get the interest in trying to find this stuff out, but, its basically mostly an academic exercise as even if you hear about "softer seats" or something it ALL going to be "speculative and unreliable" as it pertains to YOUR car as it may or may not be delivered.

Reactions: tomcat
Thanks for your reply. It actually sounds worse than I thought in that case as I kind of expected that they would simply not publish details on the updates and you simply accept what was delivered but it sounds like there’s no consistency in what they build into their cars so it’s not a case of the features being cumulatively better.

I’ve also seen videos stating they’ve actually removed some features for whatever reason, which is disconcerting.

I’d have thought that they would have a version or release number associated with a specific production run which then defined the precise spec for that run, but if they’re randomly adding (or subtracting) features - even software ones - that would make the concept of release numbers meaningless.

I accept what you’re saying about trying to anticipate what I’ll get with my car being futile, however, so I’ll just sit tight and hope I get the stuff I want. The only features I was really desperate for were the improved seats (I heard they were more like sports seats, as the current ones are a little flat) and the slightly softer ride.

I did fancy one of the new colours however - mercury silver metallic - unless that’s just speculation also.

I’m sure I’ll love it regardless !

Reactions: jjrandorin