Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Literally spend four days perfecting my safety-score-Maximizing driving style and start repairing my score from early learnings. Then wife gets in late for a tennis match and crushes the hard braking and high g-force turn scores. I give up. šŸ¤¬šŸ˜­
Look on the bright side-- you have a wife who loves to play tennis! Getting mine out on the court is like pulling teeth...

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja and impastu
@impastu So, what is your score, currently?
97. Just drove over 100 miles up to Hartford with perfect score. Last two miles a pickup truck with driver running for mayor i guess unexpectedly stops in front of me at green light to let bicyclists cross against the light. Hard braking penalty brought trip score down to 95. Canā€™t make this stuff up.

• Funny
Reactions: Maximus023
I posted this in the other thread

Agreed, and I like how Tesla is carefully expanding the set of beta users to a larger and larger audience, which will improve FSD's behavior over time.

The only issue is that Tesla (or Elon, really) made so many promises about timeline that people who bought FSD a while back are antsy to have access to it already, without feeling like the guinea pig jumping through many hoops to get admitted in the first wave of public beta.

If expectations were set differently, and Tesla didn't take people's money for FSD so early, I don't think many people would be upset.
Yep. I bought my 2019 Model 3 Performance with FSD in April 2019, - one of the first cars off the line with HW3. I got essentially nothing out of it for the 2.5 years I had it, despite Tesla promising me it was coming later that year. I then traded the car in to Tesla for the Plaid, and got nothing for FSD in the trade in. Money down the toilet. I then bought it again with the Plaid because a fool and his moneyā€¦

I have more faith in some form of FSD being delivered now, but I do feel a bit cheesed off about buying it twice. A fair compromise would be if the car you buy with FSD doesnā€™t get FSD before you trade in to Tesla, FSD moves to your new car gratis (or at least with a significant discount).

97. Just drove over 100 miles up to Hartford with perfect score. Last two miles a pickup truck with driver running for mayor i guess unexpectedly stops in front of me at green light to let bicyclists cross against the light. Hard braking penalty brought trip score down to 95. Canā€™t make this stuff up.
Wow, a 100 mile trip blown! It seems like it's best to stop, park, get out of the car, turn off your phones BT (or walk far enough away), so shorter and more trips are logged per day - especially if you have gone a ways without incident; need to protect that. I tried this yesterday and it worked!

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
My biggest concern now is what happens AFTER you get admitted to the FSD program? Obviously the Safety Score thing is not going away. So then what score do we need to have to keep it? I didn't pay for a $100K+ sports car to drive like a grandmother all the time. It's sustainable for a few weeks, but not forever. And I feel if I get it, and then they take it away, I want my $10K back since these metrics were never explained. This could easily turn into a class-action lawsuit if Tesla doesn't be careful.

I tend to agree. It's painful to drive like high scores in the calculator want us to. Paiiinnnnfully grandma-ish for sure.

Does anyone know if today will end this trial thing and we'll keep the score we get at the end of the day? I'd love for the painfully slow grandma driving I've been doing to get a decent score to end asap... want to get back to the experience of what I paid for with this machine...

Unless you opt out of the Beta trial you can rest assured that the scoring will continue. As will the tracking of other items such as hard acceleration that we know are being tracked but are not part of the Tesla insurance score.

As will the tracking of other items such as hard acceleration that we know are being tracked but are not part of the Tesla insurance score.
That's the part that concerns me.

I have a score of 99 right now, with 600+ miles driven, but I've done quite a few good hard launches and driven +8 over on the highway quite a bit. I never go over the speed limit in residential areas, but do +5 to +8 in all areas with a limit of 45 or more.

Will be interesting to see if they keep me out of the beta for it.

I have a score of 99 right now, with 600+ miles driven, but I've done quite a few good hard launches and driven +8 over on the highway quite a bit. I never go over the speed limit in residential areas, but do +5 to +8 in all areas with a limit of 45 or more.

With that score and driving style you should get the beta pretty early if they are not penalizing hard acceleration. There can't be that many 100s out there so 99s should be soon. I'm sure there will be an "I'm on the beta" thread where people also post their scores and driving habits. That should give us more insight. I'm a 95 so won't see it anytime soon. Good luck!

Reactions: Phlier and impastu

@Phlier .99230 (spreadsheet calculated) here as well, with 522 miles on the clock. I have a 160 mile trip to the coast on Friday, and I am hoping to get over that magical .9950 by the end of that trip - so my score for the two week evaluation period is 100. Yeah, hypothetically, I too did a few launches and jaunts past 100 on I90E as well!

972 miles since I ā€œpushed the buttonā€. Holding at 99 but that pesky hard braking holding at .4 is really keeping me from inching forward. Our Refresh Sā€™ canā€™t even handle full regen MUCH LESS any brake pedal without triggering hard braking!!

Since my first day of seeing my scores I kinda figured out the system. Recovering to 100 from the first day tho šŸ˜†šŸ˜ near impossibleā€¦

4A570053-8F61-4D6C-B3C6-E0CAA2FCDA64.png

972 miles since I ā€œpushed the buttonā€. Holding at 99 but that pesky hard braking holding at .4 is really keeping me from inching forward. Our Refresh Sā€™ canā€™t even handle full regen MUCH LESS any brake pedal without triggering hard braking!!

Since my first day of seeing my scores I kinda figured out the system. Recovering to 100 from the first day tho šŸ˜†šŸ˜ near impossibleā€¦

View attachment 717387
It would be nice if Tesla would not hit us for hard braking when we did not even touch the brake pedal.

This seems like an imperfect way of determining safe driving. If someone pulls out in front of you and youā€™re paying attention and donā€™t hit them it dings your score. Itā€™s interesting that my score for unsafe following distance is -22%, but my overall average is 97% so apparently it really doesnā€™t ding you if youā€™re on autopilot. Itā€™s ok if the car does it, but not you. In fairness its reaction time is probably faster than mine.

And people that constantly defend Tesla's ridiculousness should get over themselves. On the website that explains what I purchased it says "Autosteer on City Streets Coming Later This Year". Not, "After we decide to score you and you must drive like a grandmother on a daily basis for the foreseeable future". In addition, Elon has been plugging the button for months and the widespread release of the product. Then springs the Safety Score thing. Why build up people's hopes? Why not say that from the beginning? And certainly don't have a system that is docking people because they live in a congested city with other bad drivers that cause your score to go down. It's just wrong.
In 2017 FSD was coming later this year..

So how much longer is everyone doing this for? Iā€™m on like day 9 todayā€¦sitting at a score of 90ā€¦.do we know if anyoneā€™s been granted access yet?

Thinking about opting out as I feel like weā€™re not getting the new software updates because of this. I want those yoke updates yo

Last edited:
So how much longer is everyone doing this for? Iā€™m on like day 9 todayā€¦sitting at a score of 90ā€¦.do we know if anyoneā€™s been granted access yet?

Thinking about opting out as I feel like weā€™re not getting the new software updates because of this. I want those yoke updates yo
I read an article which said Elon wanted 10.2 (I think 10.2...not sure which version) downloaded to everyone accepted doing the FSD Beta, so you all would be waiting another week or so. Where have we heard that before? :rolleyes: Supposedly it starts this Friday or Sat. So basically all those who requested it from day one are being evaluated for 2 weeks instead of 1 week. I can see Elon & Tesla doing that again and again and again. Just saying.